Commodore 64

Not the Emulator, but to start up the Emulator I have to use the Touchscreen in XFCE..
and in Vice EX it’s the left Shoulderbutton for the Options

After some week of Post Traffic, I finally got the 64 Maxi today,
I can’t say something about the Build Quality, or how accurate it’s fits whit an Original C64, as I ditnt had the C64 myself, I only played on the C64 from my Sister,
But it’s looks and feel pretty good, got it running via XBOX HDMI In because I need the other HDMI Port for Pyra/GPD Win, ..
My USB 3 Stick whit this Rom Pack I got ditnt get noticed, but my small 64 gb Stick, so I use this for the Games that aren’t in the C64..

played a bit Giana Sisters, and it’s works pretty good, the only thing I have to mention:
I need to get used to this Joystick, it’s works good, but it’s a pretty different thing than you know from the Consoles, and as my last play of a Jump and Run whit such a Joystick was whit maybe 6 years, At the Time of the C64, I don’t have much training..
f7f32fe818a07fd8daf0fcf0acb34341.jpg
2053d1803c9e3079861538e022cdc81f.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, joysticks always feel rather different to joypads, and I learned one on one fighters on a joystick but pretty much everything else on a joypad, which was expensive for a while since I kept needing to buy one of each of each system, but at least they all went usb in the end and I was able to stop buying new joy*.

Edit: WRT C64 games, they're kind of meant to be played with a joystick I guess, so that's probably how you should learn to play them. Although if you ever play them on a C64 emulator on your Pyra, that more emulates a joypad so I dunno.

Reactions: rSl
I never used a joystick for any of the old computers (BBC, C64, Spectrum), and always used the keyboard, so mostly didn't get used to using one. The only exception was someone I used to know who had built himself an analogue joystick, and it was *awesome*.

However, I'm surprised how much I like their new joystick, and it does feel "nostalgic", even if I also neither had a C64, nor a joystick back in the day. I'm quite tempted to get a competition pro for my Amiga now... (my favourite for that was the "Bug" which apparently most people seem to hate).

Yeah, the BBC was a bit weird because it's joytick port wasn't a digital DE-9 it was an analogue D-type port with some number of pins I can't remember. That was good for flight sims, or which we had Elite and Aviator (and apparently there was a Spitfire sim from Alligata, but I never played that), but almost any other kind of game just ignored them. The spectrum was a bit weird as well, as it seemed to have at least three different joystick interfaces; probably because it doesn't have any kind of joystick port so you need to extend the expansion port, and that cost money so lots of kids remained keyboard only.

We weren't well off enough to have a BBC, we had an Electron. Funnily enough, the guy who made the joystick I mentioned earlier had a BBC, and by no real coincidence he also worked in some tech capacity for the BBC and Teletext, which used the BBC's mode 7. I was a little envious of mode 7.

Golly eletron elite would have required reloading from tape if you exploded from attacking the space station and the resultant police response in their vipers. Or was it only the docking computer/hyperspacing to a different system that did that?

Golly eletron elite would have required reloading from tape if you exploded from attacking the space station and the resultant police response in their vipers. Or was it only the docking computer/hyperspacing to a different system that did that?

From memory it was fine once loaded, although it took at least 7 minutes to load... time enough to make a coffee and read a chapter or two.

Although that's one thing that's easy to forget with the modern emulators - some of the cool loading screens :)

I'm currently rewriting my c64 version of Super JumpKick Turbo 64 for an 8 bit game jam/compo... Not sure what I'm going to do about music or background graphics yet though.

Code:
https://itch.io/jam/8-bit-beat-em-upfighter-dev-comp

I think today is a good day to try some of the Games on the Maxi, I have Weekend and i dit yesterday evening a bit Skyrim on Switch..
I will report how the Joystick is not then..

O and I noticed that I only have 4 Savepoints for all Games I have on USB Stick, is this only for the USB Stick or also for the Build In Games??

Edit: this is my Original Manual, for the least edvanced micro computer in the world ^^
04d75de083594c8fd28a6f966ce04463.jpg
0dd596637fe722324026c508a4960a5d.jpg

Last edited:
Ok it was a User Issue whit the Joystick: someone in the Internet said it’s better to use the Joystick when you hold it in Hands, but I try it today out whit right hand on the Stick, and left hand on the Buttons/Hold the Joystick Unit in Place on my Desk,
Now it’s works pretty good, maybe not the same as a Analogstick on the Pandora or the Switch/Xbox, but way better than before..

AMy first game I finished today was California Games, pretty cool game, when you finally found out what you supposed to do on your Joystick, but strangely 2 Player, so i had to compete against myself..

Maybe I can get my Niche to Play some of the Games against me , this are the games her mother had on her first computer ^^

• Love
I don’t think I will buy a different joystick,
It’s different from the pads I know,
But I think I gets used to the stick when I have more time to play
I grew up with a joystick. Even learned to play on the ZX Spectrum (very challenging) with the PC I got used to the cursor keys on the right hand and once I started with a (gravis) gamepad was very awkward because the right hand was my cursor hand and not the other way around.

I found that having suction cups at the bottom of the joystick, and give it a lick, then firmly placing them on a flat surface was the best way for me. Also: frieds destroyed about 3 joysticks (and of course, never payed them back) because they were moving the joystick like it was a sandbag. So be careful when sharing your joystick!

I never used a joystick for any of the old computers (BBC, C64, Spectrum), and always used the keyboard, so mostly didn't get used to using one. The only exception was someone I used to know who had built himself an analogue joystick, and it was *awesome*.

However, I'm surprised how much I like their new joystick, and it does feel "nostalgic", even if I also neither had a C64, nor a joystick back in the day. I'm quite tempted to get a competition pro for my Amiga now... (my favourite for that was the "Bug" which apparently most people seem to hate).

Me too... I preferred keys... so I made this Q W O K and SPACE :)

Attachments

• joyboard.jpg
    joyboard.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 247
Back