Commodore 64

Is that a four-way scoller? With a border, I'd not class that as being especially simple on such old hardware, even if the gameplay is pretty basic.

No, nothing as fancy as that! That screen is the entire game (short of another screen where you select "Hard" or "Easy") - or at least as far as I got. It was on one of the compilations on freeze64.com, Vinny's compilation of PD games. Not sure it's still on the website or not, as I can't find a page to link to (used to be on the Extras page, I think).

So do any of you make music with your C64? Should I get one if that has long been a curiousity for me (not that I NEED one)? Any tips or hints?
You can make chiptunes on an emulator, like on the PANDORA, so you do not really need to "get" one. If you just want to mess around I recommend the Micro Rhythm series, which is more of a sampler thing. There are Trackers if you want to learn them, the learning is a bit steep, but understandable once you get into it.
For example:
https://woolyss.com/chipmusic/chipmusic-chiptrackers/Polly_Tracker.mp3

To be honest, the Trackers on PC allow both chiptunes and samples so for some worthy ones, type in "tracker" in the Pandora Repo.

Actually I wonder what the state of the art is on the c64

Sam's journey is up there, but good work is being done on eye of the beholder too.
There's also a couple good modern arcade conversions around, like Donkeykong jr and Galencia, aswell as some remasters like Commando and Ghost'n'Goblins. All very well done professional products imo.
:)

You can make chiptunes on an emulator, like on the PANDORA, so you do not really need to "get" one. If you just want to mess around I recommend the Micro Rhythm series, which is more of a sampler thing. There are Trackers if you want to learn them, the learning is a bit steep, but understandable once you get into it.
For example:
https://woolyss.com/chipmusic/chipmusic-chiptrackers/Polly_Tracker.mp3

To be honest, the Trackers on PC allow both chiptunes and samples so for some worthy ones, type in "tracker" in the Pandora Repo.
I wasn't aware that trackers were even a thing on the old 8-bit machines, good info there! As far as my experience is concerned, trackers were a new thing that came out of Amiga developement, because it came on top of sampling, which is something most of us only really experienced on Amiga class hardware and soundcards. From what I can find, goattracker at least is a relatively modern bit of software, written for the C64 after it's era. But that doesn't detract from it, it's all good to have modern code that can drive the sid chip effectively.

I wasn't aware that trackers were even a thing on the old 8-bit machines, good info there! As far as my experience is concerned, trackers were a new thing that came out of Amiga developement, because it came on top of sampling, which is something most of us only really experienced on Amiga class hardware and soundcards. From what I can find, goattracker at least is a relatively modern bit of software, written for the C64 after it's era. But that doesn't detract from it, it's all good to have modern code that can drive the sid chip effectively.
You're kinda right. It wasn't so much as they had tracker software. However, your music player routine would work very much in the same fashion, with instrument lists, sequence and patterns. Here's some examples:

Yes, I disassembled some music playing routines and read some BASIC ones on my old BBC micro back in the day, and the technology sounds similar to how the Rob Hubbard routing is documented in your last link there. That's slightly different to a tracker, where everything fits in a grid which runs at a defined rate (although the rate can be changed pretty much dynamically), instead notes tended to be listed with their durations, and are considered to run one after the other.

The more reviews i see, the more sad i get to cancel the Order a month ago,
at the moment, the C64 Maxi isnt in Stock at Amazon, but hopefully they will do some more of this thing, because its cool..

There is even a Mario 64 Game..

But an Amiga Maxi would also be cool.., as there is this GIANA Sisters whit the Sprites of the DS Game..

Reactions: rSl
Supermario 64 is a very decent remake but it has some slow downs when more than 2 enemies are on screen. It supports some sort of turbo mode, I guess SuperCPU and Dual SID too. As I don't have a SuperCPU I have to settle for the dual SID only ;)

Also, to stay on topic concerning the C64 Maxi, I think it's way better than the mini but I still prefer the Ultimate64 as the maxi can not handle C64 peripherals. Fortunately a lot of the input/output lag for video and audio has been improved to 9-12ms. I guess it's a great device for people who want to play a quick game but I wouldn't recommend it for more serious usage.

Finally I bought a C64 Maxi, for 120 €, and I hope it will arrive soon..
I found a Rompack which is already packet for the C64 Mini,
I dit a testrun on my Pandora, they work, but unfortunately something is wrong whit my Vice EX :
It’s runs to fast and I don’t have Sound on Pandora..
Also on my old Roms, I can remember to have Music on Giana Sisters when I played bevor..

I also installed the comunity codec pack and the midi installer on Pandora..

• Love
Finally I bought a C64 Maxi, for 120 €, and I hope it will arrive soon..
I found a Rompack which is already packet for the C64 Mini,
I dit a testrun on my Pandora, they work, but unfortunately something is wrong whit my Vice EX :
It’s runs to fast and I don’t have Sound on Pandora..
Also on my old Roms, I can remember to have Music on Giana Sisters when I played bevor..

I also installed the comunity codec pack and the midi installer on Pandora..
Sounds like your vice is in warp mode :) It also explains why there is no sound

@matzesu It is an option in the menu's. "Speed settings", warp mode should have a "*" behind it when activated, regardless of speed rate.
Post automatically merged:

congrats for beeing an proud c64 owner soon! <3
vice ex is an older vice 2.3 version. you may want to get VICE 3.2 SDL2 and try again.
have fun!

I think I should try the new version tomorrow, hopefully then it will work better..
I don’t know if it’s worth the hazzle as I will get soon the C64 Maxi and some weeks after the Pyra which also ditnt flickers when you touch whit the Stylus on the Screen, seems like my Pandora is getting old..

Back