Release Commercial apps now accepted in the repo.

milkshake

Advanced Member
Hi Everyone,

I have been working hard since I got back from replay and the fruits of my labour have come to bare at last.

If you wish to sell your applications it is now possible to do so via paypal and their Instant Payment Notification API (which I have integrated into the repo).

The best thing about it is (as EvilDragon wished it), OpenPandora GmbH or OpenPandora ltd do not take any share of the money you make from selling applications on the repo (Paypal take their cut but that's it).

So if anyone knows of any developers (maybe including yourself) that have been holding of releasing any apps for Pandora as there was no revenue stream, you can tell them that this situation has now changed.

of course it all has to be above board so there are some simple terms and conditions that must be respected.

• You may only sell applications you have the full legal rights to do so (including the rights to use any graphics and audio you may have used).
  • You must provide all relevant license information in your PXML (both license type and URL to the source code if required). If your software includes intellectual propery that is not your own (including audio, graphics and video), you must have acquired a license to use them in your software and include that license as well.
  • We will provide distribution of your commercial application at no charge. We only act as an agent for you. Therefore, you (the Seller/Vendor) are responsible for any problems or disputes between you (the Seller/Vendor) and the customer (buyer) and have to solve them.
  • Any illegal content provided within your application will result in removal of your application from the repo and appropriate action taken (informing the relevant parties i.e. copyright holders of infringement).

I have also put together a simple PDF guide to help developers set up their Paypal account to work with the repo, it also guides you through the process of uploading and enabling the application to be sold on the repo.

As a developer you can also download your transactions as a CSV file, but that isn't in the pdf guide, you can do this for individual apps only by going to the application administration page and clicking the download link, or for all applications by going into your account details page and clicking the download link.

of course the link will only appear if you have had any sales.

If you find any errors or bugs please let me know asap so I can squash them :)

good luck guys, and god bless :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm assuming of course. no DRM bullshit :)

(I was tempted to build a system whereby a custom pnd-file is made per purchase with encrypted/signed info about the purchase inside, and have apps validate the signage, and so on.. but best to just not do any of that in the end, and spend your time making good software.)

Nice one 'shake :)

jeff

A truly great addition to the repo milkshake! Hopefully this will attract more developers to the platform.

Any way to quickly view all commercial apps? Perhaps a commercial tag or something similar.

[edit]@PDF: Upload You're Application --> Upload your application[/edit]

A great step in the right direction. Looking forward to what this will bring. Hoping the system will not be taken advantage of, and people will upload any random crap for $1.

so i guess milkshake and EvilDragon weren't kissing in a tree after all.....

Hey milkshake, nice one!

Edit: just saw, that the sentence I wrote makes no sense... ;)

A truly great addition to the repo milkshake! Hopefully this will attract more developers to the platform.

Any way to quickly view all commercial apps? Perhaps a commercial tag or something similar.

[edit]@PDF: Upload You're Application --> Upload your application[/edit]
There is no filter yet as I was just concentrating on getting it all set up, but it wouldnt take too long to add a filter.

thanks for the correction lol I need to add a little more to the pdf at some point like adding a section on suggesting adding a demo version of their games.

Excellent. What's the status of commercial software with regards to repo spec clients? (eg PNDstore or Panorama UIs) will commercial software show up in the json listing? I assume if it does any dwnload attempts would currently fail. Is there a (planned) api to allow repo clients to action commercial software sales?

- Neelix

Very awesome, easy-to-follow guide as well :)

A demo version option would be great. When you go to the app site, either download a free demo or buy the game :)

Well the way I thought about demo's (to allow them to show up in the repo JSON and thus Panorama/PNDstore) would be for the dev to upload a non commerical demo version aswell, with a link to the commercial version in the additional info field and vica verca place a link to the demo version in the commerical app.

This is how most other app stores (i.e. apples, android) do it.

Ah well done Mr milkshake! :)

Bad thing is I don't use PayPal and I never will. I recommend to put additional Payment options in. ;) But the best thing would be if there are donation options so the chances are low that the entire Repo turns in a pure appsrote where all apps cost money.

Bad thing is I don't use PayPal and I never will. I recommend to put additional Payment options in. ;) But the best thing would be if there are donation options so the chances are low that the entire Repo turns in a pure appsrote where all apps cost money.
you dont need a paypal account to pay by paypal, they can process card payments for you aswell, so no worries there ;)

there is already a way to allow devs to add a donations link anyway :p but this will only show on their non commercial apps.

Thanks a lot for setting this up milkshake :) This seems to make the repo almost feature complete.

I just tried to set-up the necessary steps as a test, but for some reason the actual payment process after clicking "purchase" on the repo failed. Maybe settings take some time to work on PayPal's end, I will try again later...

But the best thing would be if there are donation options so the chances are low that the entire Repo turns in a pure appsrote where all apps cost money.
There already have been donation options since... I dunno almost forever I think. It's also PayPal though, maybe one could integrate Flattr as an alternative...

I just tried to set-up the necessary steps as a test, but for some reason the actual payment process after clicking "purchase" on the repo failed. Maybe settings take some time to work on PayPal's end, I will try again later...

Did you set things up correctly at paypals end too? the full guide on how to get it to work is available in the how to pdf guide.

Did you set things up correctly at paypals end too? the full guide on how to get it to work is available in the how to pdf guide.
Yes, obviously

lol sorry didnt mean to make you sound like a thiko ;) I just tested it with SORR again and it works fine.

as long as IPN is enabled on your paypal account, and you provided all correct details on the repo for your paypal account it should work fine.

maybe your right, it might take a while to update at paypals end.

Back