Civilize The Gp

Mr. Spank

Still Fresh
someone really aught to bring over civilazation to the GP32. Cut out the music and any fancy graphics. Bring it as a turn based civ like game, with all the developing global exploration, war and aliances. Playing it on the PC you only use the mouse so the interface shouldn't be that hard for it. Just going to have to cut alot of corners, but make it happen! someone, please

i heard there is a snes version. i think a pc engine one also.

if you do a quick search, you'll find hundreds of topics concerning civ and free civ.

Tobriand posted on Sep 3 2004 at 09:21 PM said:
And an Atari ST one :)
what is Atari ST one?

I put the SNES Civilization on my GP, and its tiny! If the SNES emulator at least utilized the full screen then MAYBE I would at least play this. It is so tiny my eyes lids are going to fuse from playing (because I will be squinting so much)

Somebody has to like the Civ series enough to get it onto the GP in a way that actually utilizes the the GP's potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Civilisation 1 - take a look at http://www.atari.st for information (no roms there, but screenies of ST games and a big database that tells you if they exist). I'm pretty sure its a nicer version than the SNES one, though :)

I took a look at it, and not very pretty, and using the Ataris ST emulator looks pretty complicated (that data base!). Come on people, theres gotta be a better way! Right?

I don't think that Civ is the kind of game you want to play on a screen this tiny.

I think you'll have to stick with the Atari ST version; it's quite a bit of fun regardless.

ravuya posted on Sep 4 2004 at 07:31 PM said:
I don't think that Civ is the kind of game you want to play on a screen this tiny.

I think you'll have to stick with the Atari ST version; it's quite a bit of fun regardless.

I don't think the screen is a problem - the resolution is exactly the same as Civilization 1 had on the PC, Amiga and ST.

The missing mouse would be a problem... but if someone ported FreeCiv (www.freeciv.org), he could enhance it for chatboard use, so it keeps playable.
As FreeCiv is also based on Civ 2, which is better than Civ 1, we would get a nice game :)

Last edited:
I put the SNES Civilization on my GP, and its tiny! If the SNES emulator at least utilized the full screen then MAYBE I would at least play this. It is so tiny my eyes lids are going to fuse from playing (because I will be squinting so much)

Kryten: Now then, uh, my optical system doesn't appear to have a zoom function.
Lister: No, human eyes don't have a zoom.
Kryten: Well then, how do you bring a small object into sharp focus?
Lister: Well, you just move your head closer to the object.
Kryten: I see. Move your head ... closer, hmm, to the object. All right, okay

EvilDragon posted on Sep 5 2004 at 05:50 PM said:
ravuya posted on Sep 4 2004 at 07:31 PM said:

I don't think the screen is a problem - the resolution is exactly the same as Civilization 1 had on the PC, Amiga and ST.

The missing mouse would be a problem... but if someone ported FreeCiv (www.freeciv.org), he could enhance it for chatboard use, so it keeps playable.
As FreeCiv is also based on Civ 2, which is better than Civ 1, we would get a nice game :)

alright, this sight has all kinds of code for this game, so that means some one can tweak it and port it, right? Any takers out there? And its not going to be a problem playing it on the screen, except to scroll across the globe, but its turn based, so thats fine, there isn't a rush.

We were already considering porting freeciv; I took a whack at it and most of the app is UNIX-y crap and platform-specific graphics stuff.

Somebody making a GP32 version would probably be better to start from scratch than use the FreeCiv stuff, robust as it may seem.

ravuya posted on Sep 9 2004 at 04:21 AM said:
We were already considering porting freeciv; I took a whack at it and most of the app is UNIX-y crap and platform-specific graphics stuff.

Somebody making a GP32 version would probably be better to start from scratch than use the FreeCiv stuff, robust as it may seem.

Oh, too bad :(

Last edited:
MegatronUK posted on Sep 11 2004 at 06:03 PM said:
I haven't looked at the memory/library requirements.. but how about compiling it under GP32Linux? It may use SDL however, I'm not sure if libSDL is working under native GP32Linux yet.

Well, I think, that would be useless.
It would still need to be enhanced for the GP32.
If you'd just port it, you could use any other already emulated version.

I'm thinking of a version where you can scroll around the map pressing Select together with the directional button, select next or previous unit using L and R and such things.
So you could play it without using a mouse pretty comfortable.

Last edited:
MegatronUK posted on Sep 11 2004 at 06:03 PM said:
I haven't looked at the
I'm thinking of a version where you can scroll around the map pressing Select together with the directional button, select next or previous unit using L and R and such things.
So you could play it without using a mouse pretty comfortable.

NOT THE SELECT BUTTON! Damn the select button! Turns off my backlight. It should be the start button, and the select button should be the button to bring up the pause menue or whatever equivalent, since you would press that once and not have to hold it down.

Back