Chuwi Gaming Handheld In The Works...

gibberish

i dont want this thread to descend into arguments about how good/shit the thing is, im just reporting news of an upcoming handheld i stumbled across.
all i found was this:
http://www.pmptoday.com/2009/07/18/chuwi-mystery-gamer-to-be-unveiled-soon/
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imp3.net%2F1%2Fshow.php%3Fitemid%3D24576

chuwi-mystery-portable-gamer.jpg

yup it looks like another psp rip-off, but this time by a semi-reputable chinese firm.
pls post any more info if you stumble across it :)

Reminds me of the XGP series.

EDIT: up to 64-bit game support, lol.
EDIT2: This might give you an idea of specs
20098211419153.jpg

EDIT3: Their latest MID uses Telechips 7901 chipset. Dual Core apparently, but so was the gp2x.

One analog and NO D-pad? WTF are they thinking? People bitch that the Wiz has the buttons close together, but at least it has an actual pad.

How is it that almost every Chinese PMP/gaming handheld manufacturer designs the controls in such a way that is so obviously critically flawed? I can understand phones, PDAs, and what have you not having good controls for gaming but here they're actually trying to make something that's good for it and are failing miserably.

it seems theyre ignorant to the fact that there are western forums dedicated to machines such as these, where good points and bad points of each machine are discussed at length. i wonder if the chinese versions of such forums hold as much anomosity for obvious design flaws as places like this? i would assume not...

it does boggle the mind that so far openpandora are the only ones to get it completely right. the dingoo is pretty close but the dpad isnt great and the shoulder buttons are terribly placed for fast, accurate use.

gibberish said:
it seems theyre ignorant to the fact that there are western forums dedicated to machines such as these, where good points and bad points of each machine are discussed at length. i wonder if the chinese versions of such forums hold as much anomosity for obvious design flaws as places like this? i would assume not...

it does boggle the mind that so far openpandora are the only ones to get it completely right. the dingoo is pretty close but the dpad isnt great and the shoulder buttons are terribly placed for fast, accurate use.

They really shouldn't need people to tell them why it's bad. Anyone who is familiar with the game platforms they're going to be emulating can see an obvious mismatch. They should just look at an SNES controller or something and go from there. At the very least, if they actually play games on it they should be thinking "gee, this would be a lot better if we changed the design in these obvious ways.."

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the designers are just doodling something on a napkin and mumbling, "tell the engineers to build this" without even doing Wikipedia-level research ahead of time.

Back