Censorship On The Forum

Aside from some calling of names the new thread is staying marginally civil, so far. Aside from a few people calling names and calling me a troll for whatever reason, it's doing better than the last one, at least. I do hope whatever has some people so riled up can put whatever misgivings they have behind them so we can have a rational discussion.

Also anyone that thinks forums are used for the free expression of ideas rather than just being an old boys club needs to show some evidence or hand in their internet licence.

It's the ideal goal and not the reality, unfortunately. There are some very well moderated and civil forums out there, like Something Awful, but they really seem to be few and far between. It seems to me that the smaller a forum is, the more the most active members know each other, the more distrust and dissent there is, especially to 'outsiders'. If this new device the thread in question deals with is successful, everyone can expect an influx of new forum members and hopefully they can be given a more warm reception than what I have encountered in the past several days.

I am soo going to regret this post, but I got to say it:

If some of you put half as much effort into adding constructive content on the forum instead of the bitching and moaning, the world would be a much better place :rolleyes: .

Ducks :unsure:

My apologies to anyone who claimed KeyboardCowboy was Epicenter, the guy just betrayed himself in IRC.

KeyCowboy [~Epicenter@ew05.misawa.attmil.ne.jp] has joined #gp2xdev

i dont get the hostility against WarmFluffyUK she,s just a caring person and one of the best mods this board has had.
(im just about to climb up on my high horse in this matter. in short im pissed)

KeyboardCowboy said:
It's the ideal goal and not the reality, unfortunately. There are some very well moderated and civil forums out there, like Something Awful, but they really seem to be few and far between.
The Something Awful forums are different from most other forums though because they charge for accounts, which means that it's more diffcult to get a new account when you are banned, (changing IP address vs hanging about on IRC looking for credit card numbers) so less people are overtly inflammatory.

Also I doubt that the new members situation will improve, it is human nature to distrust outsiders after all.

Re: the latest developments, that'll teach me to spend approximately 23423434 hours to create my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
My apologies to anyone who claimed KeyboardCowboy was Epicenter, the guy just betrayed himself in IRC.

KeyCowboy [~Epicenter@ew05.misawa.attmil.ne.jp] has joined #gp2xdev
I think most people kind guessed that as soon as he said he helped GPH with the XGP, as well all know thats what Epicenter did, which was exactly the answer I was trying to get out of him without sounding too direct :)

It's no big secret. Just avoiding sensationalism. But I'll admit morbid curiosity at some of the (unexpected) controversy that cropped up.

"There's a shapeshifting Epicenter on the loose! It could be anyone!"
"Anyone?!"

Like WarmFluffyUK said, I'm only here to add helpful info and see if I can't do provide some positive/constructive commentary. There's enough negativity around that there isn't use in any more. Therefore I don't have reason to post diatribe about the GP2X; my only mention of it thus far has been in the context of potential improvement in an (already planned) handheld. If that rubs anyone the wrong way, they just need to turn their sensitivity knob down a bit. :)

EDIT: Really, Squidge, you could've just asked!

KeyboardCowboy said:
Like WarmFluffyUK said, I'm only here to add helpful info and see if I can't do provide some positive/constructive commentary.
Great! Like the mild tone in the "Our New Machine" thread. Really hope it stays that way when the new device doesn't turn out to be what you wished for or you don't get all your questions answered.

I'm still waiting for a mod's explanation about why some posts have been deleted.

Stop with the Epi baiting. He wasn't hostile or trolling in the other thread. Just talking about stuff-what is he, the Anti Christ or something???

And I am still waiting as to why we have a new thread, started by a Mod when the old one was the same as this. And after the mod that started this thread actually said what interesting posts the old one was generating.....

Is my life so interesting that I actually care...? How sad am I. But the Indians did win the series yesterday...

(still hate the way these boards are modded, though!)

b_o_b said:
Great! Like the mild tone in the "Our New Machine" thread. Really hope it stays that way when the new device doesn't turn out to be what you wished for or you don't get all your questions answered.

So far there has been almost no information given, but you don't see me getting all worked up over it. Also, if you expect the worst you're either proven right or pleasantly surprised. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

KeyboardCowboy said:
Aside from some calling of names the new thread is staying marginally civil, so far. Aside from a few people calling names and calling me a troll for whatever reason, it's doing better than the last one, at least. I do hope whatever has some people so riled up can put whatever misgivings they have behind them so we can have a rational discussion.

Also anyone that thinks forums are used for the free expression of ideas rather than just being an old boys club needs to show some evidence or hand in their internet licence.

It's the ideal goal and not the reality, unfortunately. There are some very well moderated and civil forums out there, like Something Awful, but they really seem to be few and far between.

I am not a member of the SA forums but from what I can gather these places tend to be harshly moderated, if not by official moderators then by consensus, making posters afraid to post. I've never seen a more cliquey place on the entire internet (which I have reasonable experience of), and I have seen this from reading the free forums (and rules) as well as hearing so from members. SA forum members seem to think that they own the entire internet (post a popular URL and they will say 'way to spoil it faggot' or similar; this also happens on an entirely different forum where an SA poster has already viewed a YouTube video after seeing a link from SA and determines it 'old') and moderators (that have emerged from one of these cliques, usually being the most vocal member) will hold particular sway. In a good forum moderators will not be particularly powerful because a poster will not be 'b&' for an accidental repost.

Um, not at all. :p The rules are rational and so are the moderators-- who are selected for entirely different reasons than being 'vocal members of a clique' like 'who would actually make a good moderator'. If you repost something that is old, you MIGHT get put on probation for a few hours at the worst, but even that is unlikely. Posting like a 4chan user (e.g. b&) you won't go very far though. There's nothing 'cliquey' about SA; there's nearly 100,000 members and too many distinct sub-communities that circlejerks are kept to an extreme minimum (usually close to nonexistant.) The worst circlejerks occur on small forums with few 'major' members who post all the time and reject all outside influence. As for being called a faggot for posting something ... inside joke. SA's full of them. Lowtax said it himself in a speech, in the context of the internet, the word has no meaning at all anymore. People will often compliment you with posts like "Thank you very much, kind fag."

Oh the irony...

Epicenter is welcomed, even though he was was blatantly obvious to an extent.

Me? Well my name was obvious but not the coming back. I wanted to add my input to the console, which wasn't much except add Firefox and I'd buy it, which I certainly did. Then I was permabanned silently again.

Before this post becomes a flamefest of my own doing, I would like to add a note to this.

I've reviewed my own posts. I know I've generally been a dick. I was having serious drama (girl) and academic issues in college, and letting it out on the internet.

I'm sorry. I can't put it much clearer or more sincere otherwise.

In the end, however, it will probably change nothing. The internet moves on without care, and I've grown to dislike all mediums of online communication, since the internet blocks and masks all, or if the right information is obtained, nothing. The anonymity of the internet allows for callousness without repercussion, mindless entertainment, and create only tension. What a monster technology has created, even though technology has no morals.

So I will basically stop posting. I only log in here to subscribe to forums and to keep track of posts easily. That is mostly all; if by some miracle I am not just deleted on site, I will only post in the fashion of a lurker.

(if you haven't figured out my name, take my name, remove the space, and rearrange the letters).

Khaki Us said:
Oh the irony...

Epicenter is welcomed, even though he was was blatantly obvious to an extent.

Me? Well my name was obvious but not the coming back. I wanted to add my input to the console, which

In the end, however, it will probably change nothing. The internet moves on without care, and I've grown to dislike all mediums of online communication, since the internet blocks and masks all, or if the right information is obtained, nothing. The anonymity of the internet allows for callousness without repercussion, mindless entertainment, and create only tension. What a monster technology has created, even though technology has no morals.

So I will basically stop posting. I only log in here to subscribe to forums and to keep track of posts easily. That is mostly all; if by some miracle I am not just deleted on site, I will only post in the fashion of a lurker.
(if you haven't figured out my name, take my name, remove the space, and rearrange the letters).

You shouldn't have been banned, Suki Hak!

Back