Castle Of Illusion

Fair_Weather_Flyer posted on Oct 17 2004 at 01:29 PM said:
One good alternative to Castle of Illusion is Strider. This is another classic Megadrive platformer that in many ways plays very much like Castle of Illusion. If you like Mickey, give Strider a try. The best part of it is that there is no slowdown and the sound works perfectly with FGen.
wow, sounds ace, *downloads*

Last edited by a moderator:
mickey w/ costumes.. that was Magical Quest (I think was the name) on SNES. Beautiful graphics on that one, if you like ghouls n ghoss/ mega man/ bionic commando (!!!) you'll find pieces of all of them in that game -- hey it was capcom, you know? maybe the game wasn't remendously memorable (castle of illusion stood up better) but stilla good time and worth checking out.

the sega CD game that other guy was talkign about is Mickey Mania, I played an emulated version of it a couple yearsa ago - it was alright, again not as cool as the other games.

um... yeah i remember when castle of illusion came out, EGM (reigning magazine at the time) game it all 9's and well, anything that got a score like that you just HAD to own (they were very picky about awarding scores that high back in the day..) Game was simply beautiful, bear in mind that it came out quite awhile before sonic/mario world/etc so it was just beautiful to behold, this was pretty much all we had of this quality after mario 3. Granted the depth/mechanics in illusion weren't as involved but still it was fun, and hey, beautiful!

i picked up the SMS version as well, maybe it doesn't hold up so well due to it's age but again, when it came out it was actually quite fun to play.

Yeah, I got Fantasia out from the video shop one night after loving Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion, played for about ten minutes then ignored it for the rest of the night. £2 well spent!

Have to disagree with everyone on World of Illusion though, that's a classic in my books :rolleyes:
Okay, single player is a bit boring, but has anyone tried it on two-player mode?
One of you goes as Mickey, the other Donald, and it's a properly co-operative multiplayer adventure from then on in (superior to Splinter Cell :p )
For example, Donald's rear-end is too big to fit through some crawlspaces, so Mickey has to pull him free, and then there is a mining cart on the second level which requires the players to jump on a see-saw in the right sequence for it to go anywhere. Then best of all is the usage of normal see-saws throughout the game. One player stands on one end, while the other jumps on the other end, sending the first player flying up to a higher ledge. Then the first player can either be selfish and grab all the goodies on the ledge whilst the second player shouts for help, or they can lower a rope down for the second player to climb up.
Excellent game, 9/10!
Mickey Mania was also a grand old game, if only for the graphics. VERY impressive for its time. :D

Back