Castaway/gp 14.0 Released!

I think Road Rash exists on the ST, but I've never been able to get hold of it. Anyone ever played it?

It would be realy gread if someone could repead which files do i need to
run this emu.

I know that you need a Disk image files
and a TOSS file.
There are many toss version, so which is the best one?
In which folder do i have to put this file?

Is that all what i need?

abc_Keks posted on Dec 24 2004 at 02:39 PM said:
It would be realy gread if someone could repead which files do i need to
run this emu.

I know that you need a Disk image files
and a TOSS file.
There are many toss version, so which is the best one?
In which folder do i have to put this file?

Is that all what i need?

TOS v1.02 in the GPMM/ATARIST folder and you are set.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always check the manual; I wrote up a nice README to tell you how to set it up ;)

jeff

Next on my list are better saved state system, maybe try and fix why sopmetimes a loaded state has no joystick, and add maybe a flashier new GUI beginning..

Do you remember that bug where the mouse can cease responding until you reset? I recall you saying that you knew about it.

iirc DM2 was never released on the ST

Civilization is good, not sure which is better to use, the ST version or the SNES port, but the brightness on castaway makes it very hard to read much of the text

Thanks for the update....

Is it possible that the sound has been updated also... When testing it, it seemed that the crackling sound is somehow gone...

Thanks a lot for the work on this emulator....

(carefully asking : any hopes for config files for assigning keys to the chatboard.... Would be great to play these old flight sims....)

The chatboard works with CaSTaway/GP..

Yeah, the bug where all controls would stop responding on loadstates or some "ST resets" .. I'll be looking into that ASAP :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Dec 26 2004 at 11:58 PM said:
The chatboard works with CaSTaway/GP..

Yeah at the bug where all controls would stop responding on loadstates or some "ST resets" .. I'll be looking into that ASAP :)

jeff

Thanks for the reply... I am more than happy with the chatboard support in castaway. The only problem is that some ST keys are not on the chatboard.... (e.g. function keys...) It would be handy if they could be assigned to other keys on the chatboard to make some game playable... just like you can assign ST keys to the gp32 buttons with config files....

Thanks for the excellent work

Eep :)

Assigning ST keys to chatboard keys?

Wow, thats something I never thought of. Surely is conceivable, with the current architecture being as halfway flexible as it is. (Fleible like a drunk person? :)

Keep reminding me and we'll see :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Dec 23 2004 at 09:54 PM said:
Someone with a new BLU+ unit let me know if this fixes the problem where the top line of the ST display would be on the bottom line of the BLU+ display..

It doesn't. Sorry. ^^;

It moves the screen up even higher, so we loose another row of pixels, but strangely there's still only 1 row at the bottom of the screen (beneith the black bar). It looks as though we're getting an extra row of pixels above the black bar when BLU+ is ON but it's NOT the line we lost, it's one from the end of the real screen. (Which is odd, I thought it would have ran out, perhaps it's a duplicate line?)

So.. Kinda makes it worse. XD;

I really don't understand how it could work like this. Are you changing where the ST's virtual screen begins or the entire screen?

You have to bring the entire LCD screen down a row and the bottom line replacing the first to fix the problem.

for example:

1---
2---
3---
4---

would be:

4---
1---
2---
3---

Sorry if I seem patronising, it's unintentional I'm just trying to make it clear since you don't have a BLU+, I am grateful for your work.

If you need any BLU+ testing you can email or MSN me @ rikfuzz@hotmail.com

EDIT:
Sorry, I think I made a mistake. It looks as though the last row of pixels is actually a duplicate of the first. I guess this means there's no fixing this particular annoyance after all. :( I believe it's replacing the last row as opposed to just being an extra row on the end of the normal ammount as in the firmware test it displayed 1 pixel border around the entire screen. If it was an extra row I'd expect a 2 pixel thick border at the bottom (though it's possible they didn't draw the last line to compensate, but I doubt this).

I'm guessing if you move the screen down 1 px so the first row is black it'll stop it being ugly (the bottom row will copy it and be black too). This is doable for castaway since you have a black bar beneith anyway, but for programs that use the entire screen they'll have to sacrifice a row or put up with a duplicate. Or atleast that's how it seems to me so far.

There was another alpga update that moved down a row instead of up, but it didnt' fix the problem. I need to look into other peoples fixes and find out what was going on.. perhaps the LCD is being configured differently on the BLU+'s or the lke, rather than just being an addresss issue like it "appears". After holidays. I'm sick as hell anyway :)

jeff

There was another alpga update that moved down a row instead of up, but it didnt' fix the problem. I need to look into other peoples fixes and find out what was going on.. perhaps the LCD is being configured differently on the BLU+'s or the lke, rather than just being an addresss issue like it "appears". After holidays. I'm sick as hell anyway :)

jeff

Nobody else has fixed it afaik. I personaly guess it can't be fixed without blacking out the top row of pixels, and that's hardly a fix, though it will look a little less ugly if it works the way I expect.

Nobody else has fixed it afaik.

Craigix says that the BLU+ settings officially claimed by Gamepark Inc. solve both the white bar and the top-bottom lines problem. If that is true, all the software that adopts the settings should be ok so why it is not? :blink:

Nobody else has fixed it afaik.

Craigix says that the BLU+ settings officially claimed by Gamepark Inc. solve both the white bar and the top-bottom lines problem. If that is true, all the software that adopts the settings should be ok so why it is not? :blink:

The horrible bar is fixed with the new settings, but as far as I can tell, every single program has the bottom line of pixels copied from the top line. Including official games. Some programs, such as SMS emulator, may not run at full screen so you don't notice, but the problem's still there. You can simply not use the top row to keep it from being ugly, but effectively that's losing another row of pixels not gaining one back, unless as in the case of the ST emulator where you have vertical lines to spare below the game screen. This is my proposed work-around for castaway, but other programs won't have this option without it costing them another row of pixels.

Agree, me too think that this is an ugly bug. Now the resolution is not the familiar and neat 320x200 but 320x198. It may seem to be only a glitch, but why paying so much for a device that suffers such problems? Moreover it can be taken into account when creating new software, but all the programs already made will be afflicted by this.

Not a good point from me though, as I have ordered the new BLU+ hoping all these problem will eventually get fixed...

It is more a shameful problem than anything else. Like "wtf" :/ I would've passed over the GP32 if I was first finding it now, simply due to this BLU+ issue :/

I'll be building with the new init code for this LCD in a bit, to see if that works when the option is selected.

jeff

Rik: Actually not every program has this line. I got my BLU+ yesterday and among other things I tried also my GPSweeper game and my small Xmas 2003 demo and I think I would bet my leg the line bug is not there. Precisely, in GPSweeper the bug is visible in the GBAX Competition into but not in the game and the Snow demo is completely ok and I always used all the screen. If you can, try the Snow demo, look thoroughly at the bottom and tell me if I am right.

Skeezix: Exactly, I bought the BLU+ even though I knew about the bug, but that is only because I had sold my FLU and was missing the GP32-drug greatly ;)
If I can help you anyhow (testing, concelling ;)....) just tell me.

Rik: Actually not every program has this line. I got my BLU+ yesterday and among other things I tried also my GPSweeper game and my small Xmas 2003 demo and I think I would bet my leg the line bug is not there. Precisely, in GPSweeper the bug is visible in the GBAX Competition into but not in the game and the Snow demo is completely ok and I always used all the screen. If you can, try the Snow demo, look thoroughly at the bottom and tell me if I am right.

Skeezix: Exactly, I bought the BLU+ even though I knew about the bug, but that is only because I had sold my FLU and was missing the GP32-drug greatly ;)
If I can help you anyhow (testing, concelling ;)....) just tell me.

Well that atleast sounds hopeful! I shall download it and check it out as soon as I get home. :) Thanks for the heads up.

Back