Castaway/GP 11.3 is out :)

NEW: Added bind toggle-keyboard

This is cool... but, 'would' it be possible to add this for all controls? like 'toggle-joystick', 'toggle-mouse'??

i wouldnt have ever needed this till last night and i got stuck into playing Heimdal, you need keyboard, joystick AND mouse a lot while playing, so would be good :)

NEW: Added "goto-<FILENAME>"

hold up.... you could technically do the above with this new command couldnt you?

trying to think this through :unsure:

Hi,
you could indeed make custom configs that mimic the normal controls.
You could then make the following config files: c_mouse.cnf, c_joy.cnf
in each of these modes, you would bind a key to goto-c_mouse.cnf (if you are in c_joy.cnf) or goto-c_joy.cnf (if you are in c_mouse.cnf). The reason why toggle-keyboard was added is because you cannot realistically bind the keyboard to a custom file (well, you could, but you would have to be completely & hopelessly masochistic).
Now, in each of the configs you created (c_mouse & c_joy), you bind another key to keyboard-toggle.
Et voila, you can now access all three control schemes with only two buttons
Hope that helps,

Loic

PS: did you find out which version of Captive you are using ?

What ldaneel said is in the enw manual ;) I will be adding samples soon.. in a thread yesterday I posted a config that mimiced the mouse.. but in essence its like this:

c_mouse.cnf
--------------
# mouse mimic
print MouseMimic
bind-up mouse-up
bind-down mouse-down
bind-left mouse-left
bind-right mouse-right
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a mouse-fr
bind-select toggle-frameskip
bind-fl toggle-keyboard

That leaves right shoulder.. you coudl set it up to show the load config menu:
bind-fr menu_loadconfig

Or you could bind it to goto jpystick mimi conf that you define (essentialyl like above, but joy instead of mouse)
bind-fr goto-c_joy.cnf

Wicked eh? :)

jeff

Ok, i tried this and heres what i got

DEFAULTS.CNF
bind-fl goto-joystick.cnf
bind-fr toggle-keyboard
bind-up mouse-up
bind-down mouse-down
bind-left mouse-left
bind-right mouse-right
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a mouse-fr

JOYSTICK.CNF
bind-fl goto-DEFAULTS.CNF
bind-fr toggle-keyboard
bind-up joy-up
bind-down joy-down
bind-left joy-left
bind-right joy-right
bind-b joy-fire
bind-a joy-fire

2 things are happening thats not right, one (the main one) is the toggle-keyboard just isnt working, it goes to keyboard fine on hitting R, but does not toggle back again

the other is, if there is a DEFAULTS.CNF found, couldnt u make it automatically go into CUSTOM mode, instead of us having to select it first?

it works spot on apart from that, and this being my first time trying these i have to say, this is awsome m8 :D

Sounds sweet :)

Remember that once you toggle into keyboard mode, you have top use the normal keyboard-mode controls to get back out. It is unfortunate, but makes sense.. otherwise, think, if you rebound "B" to do something, then when you went to keyboard mode, "B" wouldn't work anymore, right, to push keys? So only Custom mode honours your bindings..

So it is best to bind left shoudler to keyboard, since then you can push left-shoulder again to get back to Custom. (Keyboard Mode knows how to use left shoudler to go back to previous mode, as it always did)

As to auto going to Custom mode..

How about I add a command "modechange" and value "custom" to make it go to custom.

That way you coudl have a defaults.cnf that can go to Custom imf it wants.

(You might have a defaults.cnf that just sets repeat rates, but not controls, so you do not want it to go to Custom by default)

I can make 11.4 to do that tonight or tomorrow morning no problem :) (adding simple command/value handlers takes 30 seconds :)

jeff

So it is best to bind left shoudler to keyboard, since then you can push left-shoulder again to get back to Custom. (Keyboard Mode knows how to use left shoudler to go back to previous mode, as it always did)

makes sense, i changed them round and everythings fine now, i really like this, can bind a key to the 'S' key for scrolling in space crusade and its soooo good :)

one last thing before i head out for the night, is there anyway possible for you to make it that when you save the state, then it also saves what configuration its got selected? Like i have one specifically for space crusade, would be neat if i didnt have set it all up to load that config on loading it :)

anyway, thats purely nice to have, thought id ask :)

Cheers Skeezix

Hmm. I coudl build somethign like that in (what current mode, and wehat config *current*), but it woudl be hard ot know for sure.. since configs are additive.. ie: You might have loaded 5 configs to get the state your'e in, and no easy way to rememebr them all.. and you may have changed the config details.

So best I coudl do woudl be to include current config state variables.. but that woudl break the current savestate files to add, so its probably better to be lazy and worry about ti later, ocne the configs are "unchanging" :) Once we stop adding new stuff to them :)

Post your new working configs to the Avigrace thread asking for them.. I'll go through that thread next build to put them into the samepls directory in the dist.

jeff

Antiriad posted on May 28 2003 said:
Would it be possible to then have a switch between autofire and normal without accessing the menu this way?
Set yourself up a config file. I will be including some samples in the next and future distributions.. You coudl easily create a config that looks like joystick mode normally does, but lets you toggle autofire on.

For instance.. heres one that would toggle autofire with right-shoulder:

Call it cautojoy.cnf or something..

print JoyAutofire
bind-up joy-up
bind-down joy-down
bind-left joy-left
bind-right joy-right
bind-select toggle-select
bind-fl toggle-keyboard
bind-fr toggle-autofire

Now you can play a joystick game and toggle autofire no problem :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
So best I coudl do woudl be to include current config state variables.. but that woudl break the current savestate files to add, so its probably better to be lazy and worry about ti later, ocne the configs are "unchanging" Once we stop adding new stuff to them

Good idea, wouldnt want to lose my Space Crusade just now :)

one little problem, heres my config for Space Crusade:

bind-fl toggle-keyboard
bind-fr ST_S
bind-up mouse-up
bind-down mouse-down
bind-left mouse-left
bind-right mouse-right
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a mouse-fr

this works fine (S is to toggle scrolling, works a treat, helps so much), but when i press SELECT to toggle frameskip, the mouse scrolled up.... is this just me or what?

also, Is there any way for you to save the current config setup.... i mean like what the gamma is set to and that? maybe even put a gamma switch in the config files would be good, reason is simply i find i switch to gamma 1 every time (dont have FLU yet) its just a pain to have to do this :)

I was a bit doubios on the usefullness of these config files, but ive already made up 3 for my most played games, there excellent, cheers m8 :)

I will add a gamma setting to the config :) Good idea.

As to space crusade.. toggle frameskip works for me.. but let me know :)

jeff

skeezix posted on May 29 2003 said:
As to space crusade.. toggle frameskip works for me.. but let me know :)
seriously m8, theres something real fishy with this.... my configs ALL have framskip as SELECT, and no matter what game i play, pressing SELECT makes the mouse go up :blink:

tried this with SpaceCrusade and Heimdal

BUT, i set the toggle to the L button on a test config, and it toggled eight enough, worked fine, except on this same test i put SELECT as toggle-keyboard, and pressing SELECT made the mouse go up :blink:

so dunno, no matter what i put on select makes it go up.... unless im doing something wrong... heres my TEST.CNF so you can see exactly what i put........

bind-fl toggle-frameskip
bind-fr ST_S
bind-up mouse-up
bind-down mouse-down
bind-left mouse-left
bind-right mouse-right
bind-b mouse-fl
bind-a mouse-fr
bind-select toggle-keyboard

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the config file Skeezix! Will come in useful for Xenon 2 and such like!

Will be great having some preconfigured ones with the program itself!

Back