Casing cracks and bumpy-cracks/bulges on the hinge

If you want to avoid (or at least, delay) the posibility of cracks forming in the hinge seam area without using glues or fillers, I can attest to the efficacy of applying a small strip of clear vinyl adhesive along the length of it.

I used a roll of vinyl adhesive that stationery stores carry for protecting book covers - cut a strip of it around .75cm wide and close to the exact width of the hinge. With the Pandora closed, applied half of it along one side of the seam first, and then pulled it gently as applying it to the other side so that it has a slight tensioning force there, which may help keep the hinge stiff too - mine still sits whatever angle I want it to when open. No cracks. Plus, this vinyl stuff is removed easiy, and properly applied isn't unsightly!

I decided to use epoxy for my solution. Epoxy is very easy to find, and fairly cheap. Having visited a few stores to find molding putty, I was out of luck. The epoxy, though, is very common and easy to find.

I basically coated the seam, and about 1/4th of an inch on either end of the seam. It came out fairly well, and the squeaking is now totally gone. Plus, I feel way more confident now opening and closing my pandora than I previously did.

Going to work at trying to get a photo uploaded...

Edit: Finally got it working. Took a bit...but the shiny stuff is the epoxy. I probably should have used a small brush, instead, to make it look better...but this works. If anyone tries to do something similar, I recommend using a small art brush. Still, think it came out well and was worth the $5 in epoxy to hopefully prevent cracking in the future. Now, I hope I don't have to ever take off the top part of the case or removing this will be fun.

IMAG0062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you will have to destroy your upper Pandorapart, if you want to change the screen or lcdcalbles now.

Destroy, maybe not. I found that I can pull away (at least some, that I tried) of the epoxy with not too much trouble. Long term, as long as i don't pick at it, it shouldn't be a problem coming loose, yet I should be able to remove most of it if needed.

Back