Case Color Other Than Black?

daffy

Since I understand we haven't actually ordered the cases yet, I presume it would be trivial to have them use any color of plastic whatever.

For my part, I would like something more interesting than black. Fire-engine red, perhaps? British racing green? Sky blue?

I think it would also add to the device's sales appeal if it stood out more in appearance.

You can have your pandora in any color you want, as long as it's black.

zhasha said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqyjQ6-avK8

Last edited by a moderator:
zhasha said:

A famous quote, but the Model T was produced in several different colours

I think that if they wanted to change the colour they'd have to do so for all 10,000 that they've ordered. They can't do 5,000 black and then 5,000 white or whatever. And they've chosen black, the decision has been made, so at least for the time being that's all you're going to get.

So if you want something else you'd probably have to take it apart and spray-paint it yourself.

As an aside, if anyone plans on doing this, spray-painting their Pandora I mean, some sort of tutorial/youtube video of the process would be appreciated as I might consider doing this but I have no experience of doing anything like this. I wouldn't know where to start other than the obvious...take it apart, spray the plastic bits, put it back together. Are there any considerations to be made or is it that simple?

Edit: typo.

I want it black, not white. I was GLAD when my white DS broke and I still had it under warranty and got it replaced by a black one!
White gets stained. I might go with cobalt blue, or blood red, and possibly silver/platinum, but not anything else.
Maybe after a few 30K units sold will you have colored options.

you can have

deep space blue
Ork blood red
Demonstorm orange
Mageblight yellow
Evil green
Darklord indigo
Satanic Purple
Black
or
Midnight white

most of these colours look like black to the untrained eye, but to refined intellectuals of discernment and high judgemental values, they are clearly the colours described ;)

kaprikawn said:
As an aside, if anyone plans on doing this, spray-painting their Pandora I mean, some sort of tutorial/youtube video of the process would be appreciated as I might consider doing this but I have no experience of doing anything like this. I wouldn't know where to start other than the obvious...take it apart, spray the plastic bits, put it back together. Are there any considerations to be made or is it that simple?

Edit: typo.

Process I use is primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, check if you need to repeat by looking for bumps, dust under the coat, quaking. Comes out like the texture on nice speaker equipment when done.

Yipee, craigx has approved a different colour for the first batch ONLY!!! That's right!!! He's gonna do the first 4000 noir!! Yeahhhhhh :blink:

Sphinxter said:
liquidphantom said:
zhasha said:

A famous quote, but the Model T was produced in several different colours

Before 1918? Pretty sure they only came in black at first.

Yes, actually, They started with a few different colors, but then dropped them in favor of mass production efficiency. (It took them a couple of years to get to the super-efficient assembly lines they were so famous for.) By 1915 all they offered was black, and it would be more than twenty years before they offered a different color again. (Then the Model A came out shortly afterwords.)

Presumably Ford uttered that famous line sometime in that two decade period.

darien said:
Process I use is primer, sand, primer, sand, primer, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, check if you need to repeat by looking for bumps, dust under the coat, quaking. Comes out like the texture on nice speaker equipment when done.

Would that many layers not add about a mmm of paint to the device? Will it still fit together then? i have no experience with device painting but it sounds like it would mess up the dimensions. Pretty cool if it does work though, might give it a try myself then (when spares are available, not that confident yet :p)

We might make 100 (for example) clear cases and use them to reward people.

To make the 100 will cost thousands of dollars due to the set up costs, but the forum could decide who should get them. We would never mass produce the cases to keep their rare value.

craigix said:
We might make 100 (for example) clear cases and use them to reward people.

To make the 100 will cost thousands of dollars due to the set up costs, but the forum could decide who should get them. We would never mass produce the cases to keep their rare value.

That would be sooo fire!
Even though I wouldn't get one because I haven't done anything worthy of them, but it would be so cool to know there's rare Pandora in the world!! :p
I say go for it! as long as it doesn't cause any more delays...

Back