Car Fires?

QBCS

Still Fresh
Latest disaster news: Car with postal tracking number book in bursts in to flames, destroys book, then itself. I'd have done the same.

So, the car with the postal book caught on fire? Is everyone/thing else okay?

It seems like you guys have terrible luck with vehicles catching fire. Although, we did just have a volcano eruption, so I'm pretty sure this was the next disaster in line.

The whole thing reminds me of Kafka's Metamorphosis: What would you do if you woke up as a book?

I just saw the tweet... is that for real? Craig's car went up in flames? :blink:

Edit: ninja'd... and "dayum!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Crap!

After the van exploded I'd have thought you'd sacked the guy who was doing your servicing ;)

Holy Crap!

After the van exploded I'd have thought you'd sacked the guy who was doing your servicing ;)

The vans breaks jammed on (happens on vans sometimes) but it survived the fire, the car didn't, not sure what caused it yet.

Glad you're OK Craig, I have never known of a car to spontaneously catch fire, although mine once overheated and began to burn coolant (Horrible smell!), I guess that could have ended up as a fire. The funny thing was that I was in a Taco Bell Drive Thru and the person waiting for their food refused to move so I could pull out to shut the car off!!

Anywhoo, tracking numbers burnt up? For parts ordered, shipments of Pandora's out? What issues will this cause?

OPT mechanic: "Yep, looks like the turboencabulator went... they're always getting out of phase with the cardinal grammeters, and once your inverse reactive current supply heats up you're toast"

I have never known of a car to spontaneously catch fire
I've seen many cars go up in flames here, and there are a variety of reasons it can happen from electrical shortages to coolant. One of my own cars was prone to fires early in its production lifetime and was actually one of the things I had to ask about before I bought it. :p

Sorry about the car, Craig, also glad to see you're ok. Too bad about the tracking numbers, tho...

Glad you're OK Craig, I have never known of a car to spontaneously catch fire, although mine once overheated and began to burn coolant (Horrible smell!), I guess that could have ended up as a fire. The funny thing was that I was in a Taco Bell Drive Thru and the person waiting for their food refused to move so I could pull out to shut the car off!!
I've had a radiator leak, and this generally won't start a fire. The engine starts to run roughly when it overheats. I drove about 2 miles towards the repair shop before the engine got too hot. So I parked the car and waited about half an hour, then drove the rest of the way. There was no damage other than the rusted radiator.

Anywhoo, tracking numbers burnt up? For parts ordered, shipments of Pandora's out? What issues will this cause?
Anyone whose Pandora shipped recently won't get a shipping confirmation email?

It's just that they won't get a tracking number, it's nothing major. UPS orders are digital, only royal mail insist on us still using that book.

So does this mean I won't get a tracking number? I got my conformation email today.

Oh and that sucks about your van.

Thanks everyone for the car fire update. So at least now I know if my coolant ever goes again, the burning smell won't lead to a fire.

Also, I guess I should have said I never knew of a car to spontaneously combust, "Personally". I have seen a car on fire, once when I was younger, not sure how it caught on fire, hence the spontaneous part of my comment. I Know they happen, just not to anyone I personally know, which of course means I have never encountered a cause for such a thing.

And Craig, good to know that losing the tracking nubers will not cause a significant issue for you. That means other than the car itself, no other harm done. That's at least something to be thankful for (could have been a trunk full of Pandora's too or even more seriously yourself!)

Glad you're okay.

Had a spontaneous car fire once.....fuel/air mixer thingie had a crack + hot engine = run

I've known a couple of people who have had a car catch fire while it was parked. Usually the fires are started by some electrical problem (like bad wiring or a short inside the battery). In fact, I've never heard of a parked car catching fire for any other reason (although of course a fuel leak could lead to a fire).

Back