Release Cannonball - The Enhanced C++ Outrun Engine

Is it at all possible to use custom audio files like it is in the PC version? I copied over my PC config.xml & wav files to the Pandora. While selecting the music in game I can see the XML has had an effect as I see "Splash Wave Remix" when selecting the music. Sadly, no audio plays even though the flags in the ,xml file have been activated.

Is having custom audio too much of a hit on the CPU so has been disabled for the Pandora platform ? Or have I not set it up correctly? I currently have my .wav files in the "home" folder of Cannonball.

Is it at all possible to use custom audio files like it is in the PC version? I copied over my PC config.xml & wav files to the Pandora. While selecting the music in game I can see the XML has had an effect as I see "Splash Wave Remix" when selecting the music. Sadly, no audio plays even though the flags in the ,xml file have been activated.

Is having custom audio too much of a hit on the CPU so has been disabled for the Pandora platform ? Or have I not set it up correctly? I currently have my .wav files in the "home" folder of Cannonball.
Never tried but it should be possible.

Can you take a look at /tmp/pndrun_cannonball.out and see if there are some errors inside?

Can you take a look at /tmp/pndrun_cannonball.out and see if there are some errors inside?

I have to confess that as a relative newcomer to the Pandora & not being that good with PC type things I don't know how to to what you've suggested.  I've looked in "File System > tmp" but see no "pndrun_cannonball.out".

However, if you're willing & got the time to post instructions in case I'm missing anything obvious I'll then look and post anything I find. I wouldn't know how to spot any errors though!

From what I've read it seems the Pandora version is pretty much in line with the PC version. So I assumed that I'd just be able to drop the wav files in along with the xml set up to handle the custom audio tracks, and ..... voila!

Thanks, for taking the time to reply though! Much appreciated :)

Hmm, you should see the pndrun.out files if you look in Filesystem->tmp in Mousepad, or Thunar say. What are you using to look?

As to PC compatibility, the Pandora uses a different system but you can often predict what to do on Pandora from PC linux instructions (or even Windows ports quite often). Where do you install the files in the PC version?

The Pandora's PND files can be mounted to see what's inside them and how it's laid out ('sudo mount -o loop -t squashfs <pndfile> <emptydir>' usually does the trick), and the appdata directory (under /pandora/appdata/<gamename>) is laid out in exactly the same way, although not all subdirectorys have to be present. So anything you install to appdata will appear in the same place when the PND is mounted unioned with the appdata folder, which is what happens when you run it.

I have to confess that as a relative newcomer to the Pandora & not being that good with PC type things I don't know how to to what you've suggested.  I've looked in "File System > tmp" but see no "pndrun_cannonball.out".

However, if you're willing & got the time to post instructions in case I'm missing anything obvious I'll then look and post anything I find. I wouldn't know how to spot any errors though!

From what I've read it seems the Pandora version is pretty much in line with the PC version. So I assumed that I'd just be able to drop the wav files in along with the xml set up to handle the custom audio tracks, and ..... voila!

Thanks, for taking the time to reply though! Much appreciated :)
That is true. I have took the PC sources and just put some slight modifications for keymaps or things like that.

The WAV file should be put in the same folder where the roms folder is I guess (so /media/SDCARD/pandora/appdata/cannonball), nearby the xml file. After launching cannonball and quitting, the pndrun_cannonball.out should be existing. It will disapear if you reboot your pandora.

Also, be sure to use the latest version of cannonball.

Hi again folks,

Your help & suggestions are realy appreciated! :) As a "Windows Man" I'm afraid that the Linux command prompts are a little over my head. But I'm hoping that someone can see what's wrong from what I'm about to post.

First off, is the ""pndrun_cannonball.out" file (I did find it! I was intially looking for it directly after booting the Pandora from cold, so of course it wasn't there!). Everything appears fine giving "Success messages". The only thing I did see is "Could not load wav: track2.wav./cannonball.sh: line 173:  2240 Killed                  ./cannonball $@" about half way through. I've posted this in it's entirety below.

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/DISK_IMG/pandora/menu/cannonball.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/DISK_IMG/pandora/appdata/cannonball

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED :

EXENAME : cannonball.sh

ARGUMENTS :

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/cannonball"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/DISK_IMG/pandora/appdata/cannonball=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/cannonball=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/cannonball"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( cannonball.sh ) ----------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/cannonball:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

./cannonball.sh: line 145: [: too many arguments

omapsdl: opened tslib touchscreen

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 16 events (type 00000023)

omapsdl: skip /dev/input/event5 as ts

omapsdl: found 3 evdev device(s).

omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1

fbdev: /dev/fb1: 800x480@32

fbdev initialized.

xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10707000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0

xenv: display is 800x480

Could not load wav: track2.wav

./cannonball.sh: line 173: 2240 Killed ./cannonball $@

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( cannonball.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/cannonball': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 1

Next up is my config file. It's the default Pandora one that's simply had part of my Cannonball Windows config.xml relating to the audio pasted in. Again, here it is ...

PND : /media/DISK_IMG/pandora/menu/cannonball.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/DISK_IMG/pandora/appdata/cannonball

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED :

EXENAME : cannonball.sh

ARGUMENTS :

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/cannonball"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/DISK_IMG/pandora/appdata/cannonball=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/cannonball=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/cannonball"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( cannonball.sh ) ----------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/cannonball:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

./cannonball.sh: line 145: [: too many arguments

omapsdl: opened tslib touchscreen

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 16 events (type 00000023)

omapsdl: skip /dev/input/event5 as ts

omapsdl: found 3 evdev device(s).

omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1

fbdev: /dev/fb1: 800x480@32

fbdev initialized.

xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10707000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0

xenv: display is 800x480

Could not load wav: track2.wav

./cannonball.sh: line 173: 2240 Killed ./cannonball $@

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( cannonball.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/cannonball': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 1

My .wav files are in the same location where the config.xml file is (\appdata\cannonball\home) and are named as track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav & track4.wav.

I'm hoping that there's enough info here to pin down what the problem might be. If anyone wants to test with my sound files then feel free to message me. And if any more info is needed (pics of folder structures ... etc) again I will supply.

Other than this tiny issue, the game works perfectly for me. If i disable the "custom sound" then the game plays exactly as it should with the original arcade audio. But with "custom sound" enabled the game simply plays but with no music at all.

The audio section of the config.xml & the same .wav files work as expected in the Windows version (ie: my custom tracks do play).

I hope you can help, and any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT - If it's of any relevance, I'm using a 1gz version Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that' plenty of detail (you should use the "spoiler" tags to reduce the lenght of your post).

First, because this is linux, don't forget the file names must exactly match (Track1.wav is not the same as track1.wav, capitals count).

I think you should place the wav files in cannonball directly, not cannonball/home

Thank you so much ptitseb! It was the location of the .wav files that was causing the issue. i was extremely careful when naming the files as I am aware of capital/lower case issue. I can now enjoy the original Outrun with my favourite tracks from the "Outrun 20th Anniversay collection".

Again, thanks for your help! So very much appreciated! :)

Thank you so much ptitseb! It was the location of the .wav files that was causing the issue. i was extremely careful when naming the files as I am aware of capital/lower case issue. I can now enjoy the original Outrun with my favourite tracks from the "Outrun 20th Anniversay collection".

Again, thanks for your help! So very much appreciated! :)
^^

You're welcome

You should try the GLES mode, and activate the tilt in the option if you haven't yet, for a small change ;)

New build on the repo (at last), and for @Linux-SWAT some preliminary GBM and SFX Volume Control. It's still imperfect, as some sound effect are done with the YM sound part (like coin insert or stage "bip") and they are on the same volume as BGM...
It's based on v0.3 sources, with enhanced Widescreen support (the Music choose screen or Map screen are now widescreen).

• Based on v0.3.0 sources, with enhanced widscreen and other improvement
  • Use Fusilli client on the firmware for C4A
  • Imperfect BGM and SFX volume control

Thanks for the update; I just gave this a half dozen games and it all seems to still work well. I didn't manage to test out the sound level controls, as I didn't spot that capability until I read the update log on the repo, after playing. If anyone wants me to test that out, you'll have to give me a hint on how to alter the volume levels.

Is the way the screen tilts as if you're in a motorised cabinet new? Because I noticed that especially this time playing, and it looked very cool to me!

@levi: the tilt is not handled by the motorised cabinet, but that's a cool idea. I'm not sure the values are exposed, but I'll search for them. Right now, it's just based on the direction of the car.

I didn't know if it emulated a physical motorised cabinet then used those values, or not, but either way, it's a cool effect and I like it!

Regarding the sound options, I tried turning first the music off and playing, then the sfx off and playing and that worked as expected. I also tried setting sfx to 50% and music to 100% for actual use, and that seemed to have the expected effect as well. The only weird thing is that the front menu sounds seem to be counted as music, not as sfx, in that if you turn music off, the front menu sounds disappear, but nothing happens in that menu if you turn sfx off. But in terms of setting values for the game engine, I couldn't identify any flakiness - were you expecting any?

@levi: yes that's a known limitation of current implementation.

A few sfx are still referenced as music: sound of the UI and sound of "Time extended" mainly.

It's pretty difficult to avoid that currently (and I find it minor enough to not spend huge amount of time & energy trying to fix it).

Ah yes, I probably did observe that thinking about it; when playing with sfx only (I think) the game seemed to finish without the usual warning, and when playing with bgm only I think I still heard the sound of the lights at least. But even with these oddities, I still think it's a useful feature being able to set the volume of the engine noise and the music. For me at least, it's not worth you spending time to fix this, as it already does everything I want.

Back