Can The Wiz Be Charged From A 1000Ma Usb To Ac Adapter?

crazyfooinc

Still Fresh
EDIT:

Alright, I'm going to rephrase this question so it can be understood slightly better :-D

Can I charge the WiZ's 2000mAh Lithium-Polymer battery with a 1000mA charger/USB to AC adapter without any ill effects?

It will be more then enough, USB spec says the Wiz cannot pull any more then 500 mA.

I also made a charger that runs off AA batteries, If the Wiz was pulling 1000 mA (5v) I would have about 2200 mA (2.2v) draw on each the double AA's, and the chip I have doing voltage boosting would melt. At 500 mA (5v) the chip can burn your finger already.

That confirms the Wiz only pulls 500 mA.

Darkknight512 said:
It will be more then enough, USB spec says the Wiz cannot pull any more then 500 mA.

I also made a charger that runs off AA batteries, If the Wiz was pulling 1000 mA (5v) I would have about 2200 mA (2.2v) draw on each the double AA's, and the chip I have doing voltage boosting would melt. At 500 mA (5v) the chip can burn your finger already.

That confirms the Wiz only pulls 500 mA.

I can't thank you enough for the reply Darkknight, I'd be sitting here dumbfounded without it! :lol: And that AA-powered charger isn't a bad idea; that way you can still play the WiZ on the go, no matter the strength of the WiZ's battery. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interesting in getting one mine is home made from this kit.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/

On the forum's you can buy pre-made ones from a guy for about 30 bucks. They are of very high quality parts and are much better then the ones you can get from the stores.

It was my first soldering project and it was easy as ever so if you don't know how but want to learn to solder, this is probably one of the best chances to learn, but as I said, the charger when you pull 500 mA from it pulls a scary amount of power from the batteries. The whole thing will heat up.

Back