Can somebody help me with the linux directory mess?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
So reading linux for dummies (yeah I know) I see some nice conventions that are part of the linux way of thinking. Such as there are the directories for specific purposes

home

bin 

sbin

dev

(etc ;)

But can anybody give me a clear map of what's the deal nowadays, I recently installed debian on a laptop and it seems everything is everywhere stuff is in usr/share/bin  other stuff is in opt other stuff is in etc/, some mount to mnt others to media  does somebody have a clear discription of what should be where and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at 

echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
All of these paths are treated  as one. 

So if i enter the name of an executable the terminal scans all of this paths for this program. 

Different users/runlevels may have a different path setting there. The distro maintainer may set the guideline that tells what belongs into which folder, but why exactly a program uses a path is up to the package creator.

Look at 

echo $PATH

So if i enter the name of an executable the terminal scans all of this paths for this program. 

Different users/runlevels may have a different path setting there. The distro maintainer may set the guideline that tells what belongs into which folder, but why exactly a program uses a path is up to the package creator.
Ah so in general these make no difference.

Look at 

echo $PATH

Ah so in general these make no difference.
Yes, once the system is booted up.  However, /sbin is guaranteed to be available at initial boot while /usr (and /bin which is commonly a link into /usr/bin) may be on a partition which hasn't been mounted yet.  And /usr/local should be basically empty on a freshly installed system; my /usr/local/bin only contains a couple of scripts I've written myself, and is guaranteed not to be trampled on by apt-get.

Also, as mentioned by Elw3, not all users will have all those directories in their path.

My link was missing an 'l' at the end I think: the correct link (hopefully) is:

http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-directory-structure-overview.html

It begins to make more sense to me, however I still think the usr/bin could have been just in /bin. But I guess that's because I only work on my own machine and don't need to maintain user groups etc.

There are actually good reasons for a lot of the decisions made about how the filesystem is laid out.

/bin has traditionally been for binaries/tools that are necessary to use the system when it is in single-user mode - i.e. no /usr mounted .. in the bad ol' days of Unix, /usr was only mounted after the system came up successfully and became a multi-user system.  So /usr/bin contains stuff that is mostly for the users whereas /bin is stuff that the administrator *must* have onboard in order to resuscitate a system that is in single-user mode.

Over time, the filesystem layout has become the subject of many different cultures - some use /opt for things, some use /usr/local/, and so on - each of these have their own reasoning and it requires a bit of historical understanding to glean why.

I thought /sbin was for admin/single user tools?  On any system I've used recently /bin seems to be a softlink to /usr/bin, presumably for compatibility with something or other.

I thought /sbin was for admin/single user tools?  On any system I've used recently /bin seems to be a softlink to /usr/bin, presumably for compatibility with something or other.
Noticed that with the latest Fedora:

bin -> usr/bin

lib -> usr/lib

lib64 -> usr/lib64

sbin -> usr/sbin

Splitting / and /usr have an historic reason I'd though Trashy would explain. In the old ages prior LTO tapes even before hard-drive, Unix system booted of a bootable tape. Unfortunatly, the tape were too small to hold the whole OS, so the system requiered 2 tapes. The boot one ruled the single user mode. Once the firsts stages of boot were done the second tape were mounted on /usr and the multi-user mode was activated.
I havent seen a separated /usr mount point in ages, so "modern" distro symlinking / to /usr somehow make sense, albeit I would have made it the other way around... anyway

Splitting / and /usr have an historic reason I'd though Trashy would explain.
I'll have you know I never actually used a UNIX machine that booted off a tape drive, the DEC machine running VAX/VMS I was working on a few years ago had one, but didn't boot off it... Also it had an 8" floppy drive.

I havent seen a separated /usr mount point in ages, so "modern" distro symlinking / to /usr somehow make sense, albeit I would have made it the other way around... anyway
I have /usr in a separate partition because of the layouts of the flash memory on this machine (/boot and /usr on the 4GB chip, everything else on the 64GB one).

This is on Arch though, so it doesn't even have a separate sbin folder; /sbin is a softlink to /usr/bin, just as /bin is.  I had to enable a specific kernel flag (I think) to mount /usr before running init.

Back