Can Gp2x Play The Gp32 Games?

For now, you need a GP32. A GP32 emulator (probably more along the lines of a virtualizer than an emulator) is possible, but nobody has one planned.

Probably, but it comes down to emulating the actual chips/internal units involved, which most programmers for it didn't deal with a lot on a regular basis, so it's hard to find someone that knows everything about it (for example, I doubt many people programmed directly for the SMC slot, but instead used the BIOS). Indeed there is an emulator for windows, but I don't believe it's opensource, and I think it's missing some hardware support.

The GP32 emulator for windows is called GeePee32 and you need to own one, legally, download the firmware from your unit or find it on the net. Then you have to make a virtual SMC, and put all your folders, files, and data on there.

THEN you have to tolerate how slow it is, cause GeePee32 is deliberately capped to run at a virtual 40 MHz (rather than 133 or 166 MHz), so you can't really use it for much more than making screenshots or testing out your demos/apps. There are a couple games/apps that will run under 75 MHz, I think, but it's otherwise not worth it.

It's more of a developer's emulator.

Winterkid posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:21 AM said:
The GP32 emulator for windows is called GeePee32 and you need to own one, legally, download the firmware from your unit or find it on the net. Then you have to make a virtual SMC, and put all your folders, files, and data on there.

THEN you have to tolerate how slow it is, cause GeePee32 is deliberately capped to run at a virtual 40 MHz (rather than 133 or 166 MHz), so you can't really use it for much more than making screenshots or testing out your demos/apps. There are a couple games/apps that will run under 75 MHz, I think, but it's otherwise not worth it.

I agreed. That program is worthless because the games only run about 10-15 seconds before it crashes. Btw: There no sounds at all. What is the use when nobody can't play those games on GeePee32 over 15 seconds on windows XP or under.

I hoping someday there will be a better one made that run great and have sounds. Maybe after the GP32 is nowhere to be bought anymore. Except for ebay. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
KingHanco posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:22 AM said:
Winterkid posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:21 AM said:

I agreed. That program is worthless because the games only run about 10-15 seconds before it crashes. Btw: There no sounds at all. What is the use when nobody can't play those games on GeePee32 over 15 seconds on windows XP or under.

I hoping someday there will be a better one made that run great and have sounds. Maybe after the GP32 is nowhere to be bought anymore. Except for ebay. :lol:

It's not worthless, it's just not for overall use. It's primarily for developing and screenshots. It had no sound and capped speed on purpose so if you want to play GP32 games, you have to go BUY a GP32.

I use mine all the time, mostly for MP3 and NES, but I still use it.

If they make a GP32 emulator for the GP2X, I'll probably use that and keep the GP32 at home, so I only have to haul around one handheld.

i'd get one, but the thing that bugs me is that you can only use 128MB smc cards ;)

cwncool posted on Jul 29 2006 at 03:37 PM said:
i'd get one, but the thing that bugs me is that you can only use 128MB smc cards ;)
Yeah. That is such a hassle. You have to take the card out and put another one in. Life is such an effort. I find I have the same problem with DVDs and CDs - you finish using one and then have to eject it and put in another one to do something else.
Also refrigerators - I find after a couple of days I have eaten all the stuff in them and have to get up and go to the market and buy more, stagger back with it and load it all into the fridge. Heck, then a few days later I have to do it all again !
Also this board bugs me. If I want to read a topic I have to lift up my hand and reach over to use the mouse ....

Can Gp2x Play The Gp32 Games ?
No. Since the GP32 didn't really have many games the main use for a GP32 emulator who be to run emulators. I think an emulator running an emulator would be really cool - but probably a bit slow.

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Jul 29 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
cwncool posted on Jul 29 2006 at 03:37 PM said:
Yeah. That is such a hassle. You have to take the card out and put another one in. Life is such an effort. I find I have the same problem with DVDs and CDs - you finish using one and then have to eject it and put in another one to do something else.
Also refrigerators - I find after a couple of days I have eaten all the stuff in them and have to get up and go to the market and buy more, stagger back with it and load it all into the fridge. Heck, then a few days later I have to do it all again !
Also this board bugs me. If I want to read a topic I have to lift up my hand and reach over to use the mouse ....

Can Gp2x Play The Gp32 Games ?
No. Since the GP32 didn't really have many games the main use for a GP32 emulator who be to run emulators. I think an emulator running an emulator would be really cool - but probably a bit slow.

laughing.gif

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Jul 29 2006 at 07:23 PM said:
Yeah. That is such a hassle. You have to take the card out and put another one in. Life is such an effort.
He MIGHT be referring to the cost and the availability of SMCs. Possibly.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. . .

. . . but the highest form of intellect ;)

On the matter of CDs and DVDs, I find that that frustration goes away if you rip them all to your computer's hard drive, by the way :)

Back