[Caanoo] Vice C128 And Vic20!

Hansel75

Still Fresh
Hi all, it only occurred to me lately that the Vice emulator can be used for emulating other Commodore machines.

Most people just set it up for C64 usage like i had done, but i was interested in what the C128 and Vic20 machines would be like through vice.

I have setup 3 versions of Vice on my caanoo, the regular C64 vice, plus i have setup and added into the menu, a C128 and Vic20 version of vice.
I also edited the png menu pictures to say C128 and Vic20 instead of C64 etc. Then i added fullsets of roms for the 2 new commodore machines to test them out with.

Both the C128 and Vic20 emulators work on the caanoo, i had menus for both and was able to start some games in them ok.

The Vic20 screen size was screwed up a bit, and it didn't look like there was any sound either. Also i could only load certain rom file types.
I'm also not sure about the button layout for the Vic20, maybe someone else can test it out.

As for the C128, the screen size was fine, the sound worked, but the few C128 specific games i ran were quite slow and sound wasn't great either.
The button layout worked fine for the C128.

I only owned a C64 back in the day, so it was interesting to play these other commodore machines on my caanoo.
There weren't that many games for the C128, but there were a lot for the Vic20.

This is a list i found of games that came out for the C128, or were enhanced over the C64 versions-

80 Column Games
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Alien Invaders
Backgammon
Beyond Zork
Bureaucracy
Burgerwhop
Dice Poker
Hearts
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kikstart
Kikstart 2
Klondike Jones
Last V8
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Mah jongg
Mikes Maze
Millifoot 80
Mygly 128 (Pac-Man clone, 40-columns)
Oh Thello
Rocky Horror Show
Seeraeuber
Solitaire
Tetris
Thai Boxing
The Thing
Trader
Trinity
Wumpus
Yahtzee

Has anyone else tried other commodore machines through vice yet, apart from the C64?
If so i would like to know your results.
There are others in Vice i haven't tried yet, like the Commodore Pet, Plus4 etc..

If anyone needs any help in setting them up, let me know.

Han.

Edit- Commodore Pet and Plus4/C16 versions of Vice work on the caanoo ok to, see my post below.

I only owned a C64 back in the good old days but i really don't know anything about the other versions like C128 and Vic20.

I'm still hoping that someone makes Vice run on the Caanoo the same as it does on the Wiz. And with savestates.

Do you have any skills on programming?

No sorry i don't have any coding skills, i wish i did.

I would also like to see improved C64 emulation as well, i have posted about this before and it's been well discussed already.
We can only hope that someone will improve Vice on the caanoo someday.

It didn't take much effort to run the C128 and Vic20 versions of vice, just some ini changes and file renames etc.
No coding or anything like that.

I was just interested in the other Commodore formats, and thought i might try it out on the current Vice.

Han.

Yeah I have fond memories of my Vic20, It was our family's first computer. Some games i have played on it and now on my wiz would be: G-patrol, Raid on Isram, Convention, Metrodome, Radar Rat Race, jupiter Lander, Raid on fort knocks and many others..

I tried Shinobi on my Caanoo with Frodo and it seemed to work well.. Is Frodo no good for c64?

Many games work on Frodo but the compatibility of Vice is much better. Sound is also better on Vice.

If you type GO64 on the 128 it turns into a C64.
This works in vice too.

I would like to add that the Commodore Pet and Plus4/C16 Vice emulators work ok to, i just tested them out and was able to boot into the menus.

I am unfamiliar with the commands needed to load a game into the Commodore Pet system, so i wasn't able to test any roms.

As for the Plus4/C16, i loaded a game rom ok and was able to play it. But like the Vic20 through Vice, it didn't appear to have any sound.

The next machine i am going to try through Vice caanoo, is the 64dtv, i think there was some neat demos for it. I will report back once i have tried it out.

I know this might not interest a lot of gamers, most people are always looking for the newest/best stuff to run on there caanoo's.
But i am interested in the history of any commodore machine, no matter how old and basic.

And as mentioned, some of us grew up on these old computers, and get a big kick out of reliving there childhood gaming.
Plus it just means there's even more games to play on our caanoo's.

Han.

PS: Cool foleyjo, i didn't know that!

Also here is a funny vid to check out for a laugh-

Kids of Today vs 1980's Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v75QpvISUs

Back