Caanoo Regocnized As Unknown Device On Win7 64Bit

Passburger

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,

My windows is being a b***h and refuses to recognize my Caanoo as a mass storage device/SD card reader. When it shows up as "unknown device" I try click on "update driver" and go look for mass storage device or SD card reader alike drivers, but nothing of the sort is mentioned among the many choices on the list. I've tried switching usb-ports, tuning it on/off with/without the cable being plugged in, restarting my PC, making a pact with the devil, voodoo magic. Still no dice!

So please, will some kind soul help me brainstorm a possible solution that does not involve the purchase of a SDcard reader?

Thanks in advance.

Some simple and probably obvious things to ask -

Has your Caanoo never been recognized or has it just started acting up? If it was before and isn't now, has an update or change to your Windows system affected it.

Is the Caanoo light glowing blue/red/pink when you plug the cable in? If it doesn't light up, your cable might be borked. If it does, your cable might be borked. GPH cables were pretty poorly made in the past. Do you know anyone else with a Caanoo to borrow their cable to test?

Have you selected USB mode on the Caanoo? You're not exiting it prematurely are you?

Have you tried different USB ports? This may sound stupid, but sometimes one port will work and another won't.

Have you left the Caanoo on and connected for a while - sometimes it can take time for Windows to actually notice the device and work out what it's supposed to be. I have a Kingston 32GB USB drive that takes an age for Windows to work out what it is. And it does it EVERY single time I plug it in. Never seen that behaviour in any other USB drive I've owned on any Windows system (I'm also using Windows 7 64Bit).

Does the Caanoo come with a driver disc? - I can't remember if mine did or not. If so, have you tried using it.

Dunno.

My Caanoo has never been recognized!

Both blue and red (purple?)light up if the console is charging while being used.

I don't know anyone else with a Caanoo, "it's the only Caanoo int he village" :)

Yes I've selected usb mode on the caanoo, I've left the Caanoo connected to my PC for at least a few hours minutes each, while I looked for drivers that could not be found. And by the way, I'm still using the 4GB SDcard that comes with it, as I just got my Caanoo yesterday, straight from a store in Korea.

I've already told you the part of switching usb ports.

The CD that comes with the console is nothing but a manual, even though the PC thinks that the disc is empty.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking about trying to connect the Caanoo to someone else's PC and see how that cookie crumbles. Maybe then I can ask the seller for a less faulty GPH cable, if that's the case.

It would be highly appreciated if someone could supply me with a link to a driver that works with the Caanoo, (GPH_PC_commander is dead on every link that I've ever found, so don't even try linking me to it, and yes I know GPH/GPfun is no more)

Thanks for replying so quickly!

What firmware version is your Caanoo running on? Perhaps the firmware can be updated? Mine is running v1.6.1.

I run the same win7 64b and caanoo gets recognised just like anyother usb device.
The usb mode on caanoo is only for reading its own usb port (pendrives,extra joy), everything should work out of the box when connecting with the pc with the caanoo to pc usb cable (not the caanoo´s usb).

What happens when you connect to another computer instead of your own?
It could be win config or the firmware maybe.

Did you do the touch calibration? Out of a cosmic idea, maybe it is turning the connection off.

When you plug your caanoo on pc, and turn caanoo on, its own screen should display USB CONNECTED or something like that with an X button to cancel the operation, don´t cancel, while on that, you can move things over.

hope it helps out.

PS:purple light is battery full

iprice said:
What firmware version is your Caanoo running on? Perhaps the firmware can be updated? Mine is running v1.6.1.
My Caanoo came fromt he factory with the same firmware as you (v1.6.1).

Last edited by a moderator:
erico said:
I run the same win7 64b and caanoo gets recognised just like anyother usb device.
The usb mode on caanoo is only for reading its own usb port (pendrives,extra joy), everything should work out of the box when connecting with the pc with the caanoo to pc usb cable (not the caanoo´s usb).

What happens when you connect to another computer instead of your own?
It could be win config or the firmware maybe.

Did you do the touch calibration? Out of a cosmic idea, maybe it is turning the connection off.

When you plug your caanoo on pc, and turn caanoo on, its own screen should display USB CONNECTED or something like that with an X button to cancel the operation, don´t cancel, while on that, you can move things over.

hope it helps out.

PS:purple light is battery full

Well, mine doesn't :p
Yes, I am aware of the usb port function :)
I still haven't had the chance to try the Caanoo on another computer.
I have not tried the calibration, I will, even though it does seem a little form outta space.

PS: purple light when caanoo is on means it's charging while it's lighting blue because it's on B) .

PS: eu sou brazuka, me manda um PM se tiver mais dicas! Valeu!

By the way, I just tried to connect my Caanoo to another PC running winXP, and still, no dice! It shows up as "unknown device". Tried to force windows to update the driver and still nothing.
The cable can't be busted though, since it does charge the console and it's detected by the computers, though unrecognized driver-wise.
I'm starting to think that is might just have something to do with the SD card that it came with...

There could be the SDcard, I heard some of the original SDs had some form of protection so it could be a reason you can´t see it.
Mine came without one, so from the very first day I used my own, never had any trouble on this line.

iprice said:
Yeah, I didn't have an SD card either so used a spare. Could be.

Well, I've just tested it, and the SD card works with a card reader. And it doesn't look like the SD card on the the advertisements nor does it look like the one displayed on the package. It's plain black and has a "made in japan" stamp on it.

erico said:
Just try a different one on the caanoo to be sure.
Not the one that came with it on a card reader.
Yes, I've ordered one a few days ago, still waiting for it to arrive.

My solution was buying a external card reader, as noone's computer would read/recognize the Caanoo. So the problem remains unresolved, though I can now use my Caanoo. <_<

Next step is making start asking questions on other threads about getting pbroom and amiga to work ;)

Anyway, a big "thank you" to everyone who their time to answer my questions so far!

Nice you can play now.

Did you ever try a different SDcard?
I mean, I didn´t have an sdcard bunbdled with my caanoo, so I just used a cheap kingston 8gb mini sd+the sd adapter and it works fine.

As for card readers, this same card works on my very cheap laptop in built card reader, an All in 1 HDD docking china cheapest as possible and my epson printer.
It also works on every other card reader I got to give a try. So this is what lead me to think the card was not ok, or strangely formatted.

Anyway, good it works now, I was just curious about the actual reasons for not working.

Like I think I mentioned before: The "original" card can still be used with a card reader. I bought a new SD card, a 32gig SDHC from Sandisk. I tried conencting the Caanoo to the computer with it, and still no dice. So it's defenately something between the Caanoo and these computers. Or the data cable of the Caanoo. This will remain a mystery to us until more people start getting involved and sharing their own experiences :p Thanks again for all the help!

Passburger said:
Like I think I mentioned before: The "original" card can still be used with a card reader. I bought a new SD card, a 32gig SDHC from Sandisk. I tried conencting the Caanoo to the computer with it, and still no dice. So it's defenately something between the Caanoo and these computers. Or the data cable of the Caanoo. This will remain a mystery to us until more people start getting involved and sharing their own experiences :p Thanks again for all the help!
I see, ok, so it must be something on the cable or the caanno out port, but if it charges and you can play, good thing! :)

Back