Caanoo Or Psp?

4LPH4 W0LF

Still Fresh
Hello. I am trying to decide if i should buy a Caanoo, or a PSP. The PSP will be either 2000 or 3000, as i have heard that the 3000 can now be modded to run homebrew (if this is incorrect please tell me). Which one would you suggest, or would you suggest a different system all together?

I have a PSP 1000 and I used to use that for homebrew.

But I ended up hating the thing, since it was so damn heavy!
(And I never liked the buttons either. The D-pad was stupidly spaced too much, and the buttons felt odd sometimes, and I LOATHED the thumbstick. That thing just grated the skin so badly. But again, this was the original PSP, and I've never used a newer one, so its probably improved a bit)

It did most emulators pretty well though, but the fiddling around and updating custom firmware was also pretty irritating.

Oh, and the memory cards, they are expensive and non-standard.

Seriously, a 16gb Memory Stick Pro Duo is still like £30-35, vs A Micro-SD equivalent of £15 and a SD equivalent of £12.

Then again, this is just my experience. Its probably not as bad these days.
And the emulation itself on the PSP was very good. (much better than the DS's at least! XD)

The newer PSP models are lighter, and you can get one of these adapters to make your life much easier:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-SDHC-Memory-Stick-Adapter/dp/B003RUFL7M/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1312698251&sr=8-24

But I will say that I LOVE my Caanoo.

Its has a nice weight, the buttons are nice, the stick, though a little odd at first, is pretty good once you get used to it.
It plays everything pretty well, and the emulation has improved quite a lot since it was launched.
The only emulators I personally have issues with are Ohboy (not the emulator itself, but the interface. The scrolling is a bit slow for my taste), and DrPocketSnes, (on mine it seems to crash sometimes. But my Caanoo is one of the ones that won't overclock to 800, (I think some Caanoos have CPUs that are slightly better or worse than others)). However, Snes9X4C works with some titles that DrPocketSnes has issues with, and the both together, do a pretty good job.

However, the only slight complaints I got with it is that the shoulder buttons are very odd, the volume slider has a delay (its a very minor complaint though) since its handled via software, the touchscreen and G-sensor is oddly under-utilised still by homebrew.
And the media playback isn't so good. Fortunately this has been improved quite a bit via homebrew though. Mplayer and Ommpc are vital apps.
I think eventually this will improve a bit more, but its still a bit far off.

Well I had to get a new emulation console a while back since, my PSP broke, (well it still works, but it is in poor shape ever since my stupid brother knocked it into the toilet. The Screen is water damaged, the UMD slot doesn't work, the battery was fried, the memory cards are a little dodgy, the buttons were pretty bad anyway, and it became very unstable, (got hot and sometimes used to crash when it shouldn't have)).
And I didn't fancy having to do all of the homebrew process all over again, so I got something that works right out of the box.

In fact the main thing between the two that needs to be compared, emulation wise, is the PS1 emulation.

On the PSP it was suprisingly good. Since it was built into the firmware and could be hacked to play other PS1 games.
There are quite a few games that work on it that the Caanoo doesn't do, and at better speeds.

The Caanoo PS1 emulator is suprisingly decent, but its still a bit off from being brilliant.

The Other main advantage the PSP has, is well, the ability to play PSP games! XD

In the end I think its a matter of preference.

EDIT: And other thing I'd like to point out is that the PSP had a LOT of homebrew developers working on it back then, (not so much now, theres the occasional release, but most devs have moved on to something else), and the Caanoo, well, has not exactly lit the homebrew scene on fire. (Mainly due to it being similar to the Wiz, but not directly compatible, and the Pandora taking the spotlight (good luck getting one of those! XD))

That being said, the few dedicated homebrewers that have released stuff for the Caanoo have done an excellent job.

The aforementioned cost of Memory Sticks was why I never went for a PSP. It seriously drove up the cost.

I have a Caanoo and recently brought a PSP 3000. I was pleasently surprised by the quality of some emulators on the PSP, there are fantastic ports of Vice and the Atari 8 Bit machines, 16 Bit Ataris and Commodora Amigas are emulated at roughly the same speed as on the Caanoo, despite the CPU, which I think is slower then on the Caanoo.
The PSX Emulation is perfect on the PSP, the N64 emulation more like a proof of concept, amazing, that it can be done, but still much to slow to be satisfying.
The screen runs in a resolution of 480*272, which makes simple filtering of the graphics possible, overall, the picture is the best I've ever seen on a handheld, much better then on the Caanoo. Fiddling with firmware isn't complicated any more, every PSP can be softmodded, even when you are running the latest official firmware, without any trouble or the need of an additional device like the Pandora Battery.

One advantage is that the PSP lets you the choice, there is a D-Pad and an analogue controller. I didn't have problems with the D-Pad it's the same is on the Playstation Pads.

On the downside, the homebrew community on the PSP isn't very active, don't expect many updates. The SNes emulation currently runs better on the Caanoo and the touchscreen can come in handy here and there too, even if mouse emulation via touchscreen for ST and Amiga emulators is problematic. Another area in which the Caanoo is better is battery life, the PSP battery only runs 4-5 hours.

The cost of the memory cards isn't as high as many may think, an 8 GB card from Sandisc can be bought on Amazon for 19 Euro, which is more expensive, then a SD card, but not this much. The downside is, many of the memory sticks are rather slow. A fast SD card in a card reader is much faster, but if you transfer the data by connecting the Cannoo directly to your computer, you aren't faster either.

Where the PSP performs MUCH better, then the Caanoo is video playback, converted in MP4 format, videos run flawless in 480*272 (16:9).

In the end a tough choice, I brought my PSP used for 90 Euro, which is roughly the price you have to pay for a new Caanoo. Both devices have advantages and disadvantages.

Been playing on my sisters PSP1001 for a bit with SNES emulation, it feels a bit sluggish, and it seems to crash a lot. Another thing that annoys me is that the emulator takes forever to load, while (at least on the wiz) is practically instant. Even including the long boot time on the wiz, it still gets into a game faster.

I can't say anything about the 3000, but I think other then the weight and screen quality it is very much the same.

The PSP will give you nearly perfect emulation for every Playstation game that doesn't require analog sticks (unless you have a PSP Go and a PS3 controller), access to cheap commercial games (if you have a UMD drive), and a large amount of homebrew.

Some random other bonuses:
  • The port of Cave Story for the PSP runs at the PSP's native res, which is unusual.
  • The SNES emulator runs quite well, it seems to be more compatible than PocketSNES while using speedhacks, and the sound is the right pitch.
  • Built in wi-fi (though, I believe it only supports the "b" standard)
  • If you get a later model, the screen is (finally) nice.
  • Speakers on the front
  • Firmware hacks are a simple process, and not even needed if you just use simple homebrew.

I love playing PSP games like Gottlieb Pinball, Ape Escape, and The 3rd Birthday, the PSP has lots of homebrew apps and plugins, I can run any PS1 game on it, and it's great for media, so I like the PSP. However, there are so many things I can do with the Caanoo; there is a lot of awesome homebrew games and applications like AAAA and Graph2x, you can run many GP2X/Wiz programs through Ginge, and the controls feel much nicer in general. I have both, and I'd recommend getting both if you can. The Caanoo and PSP are very different imho. Also, the PSP has dropped in price recently (at least where I'm from) and it's $129.99CAD and the games have also dropped in price for the most part, and some stores are putting PSP games in clearance bins for $10 apiece.

Almost any PSP can be hacked for homebrew; it just depends on the firmware that's installed. Mine has fw 6.20 and I've installed TN-E v3.

Com64 said:
I love playing PSP games like Gottlieb Pinball, Ape Escape, and The 3rd Birthday, the PSP has lots of homebrew apps and plugins, I can run any PS1 game on it, and it's great for media, so I like the PSP. However, there are so many things I can do with the Caanoo; there is a lot of awesome homebrew games and applications like AAAA and Graph2x, you can run many GP2X/Wiz programs through Ginge, and the controls feel much nicer in general. I have both, and I'd recommend getting both if you can. The Caanoo and PSP are very different imho. Also, the PSP has dropped in price recently (at least where I'm from) and it's $129.99CAD and the games have also dropped in price for the most part, and some stores are putting PSP games in clearance bins for $10 apiece.

Almost any PSP can be hacked for homebrew; it just depends on the firmware that's installed. Mine has fw 6.20 and I've installed TN-E v3.
Thank you for your input everyone. As mentioned by Com64, I will try to get both machines, but i dont have the dough right now :/ Anyways, at this point i'm sort of leaning towards the PSP, because of the PS1 emulation being so great. I do have one question for PSP users: if i hack my PSP, canm i ever revert it back to its OFW, and can i still connect to the Playstation Network/Store. Thanks all for your feedback

Last edited by a moderator:
4LPH4 W0LF said:
Com64 said:

Thank you for your input everyone. As mentioned by Com64, I will try to get both machines, but i dont have the dough right now :/ Anyways, at this point i'm sort of leaning towards the PSP, because of the PS1 emulation being so great. I do have one question for PSP users: if i hack my PSP, canm i ever revert it back to its OFW, and can i still connect to the Playstation Network/Store. Thanks all for your feedback
The latest version has a HEN (home-brew enabler, no installation) and a LCFW (light custom-firmware), so you'd be able to connect to PSN. LCFWs however, aren't entirely permanent. You have to restore their state after a cold boot by launching a certain program that will "restore" the firmware for you. It's also able to be uninstalled.

Reo said:
4LPH4 W0LF said:
Com64 said:

The latest version has a HEN (home-brew enabler, no installation) and a LCFW (light custom-firmware), so you'd be able to connect to PSN. LCFWs however, aren't entirely permanent. You have to restore their state after a cold boot by launching a certain program that will "restore" the firmware for you. It's also able to be uninstalled.
Thanks for your post. Is it possible for the CFWs that don't uninstall after a reset to be uninstalled? If not, can it connect to the PlayStation Network and Store still?

4LPH4 W0LF said:
Reo said:
4LPH4 W0LF said:
Com64 said:

Thanks for your post. Is it possible for the CFWs that don't uninstall after a reset to be uninstalled? If not, can it connect to the PlayStation Network and Store still?
I'm pretty sure that anything now that works on 6.39 (latest version) can also connect to PSN.
EDIT: Also yes, everything can be removed.

Wow! I'd forgotten that I even joined here, must've been the last time that I was looking at portable consoles and ended up with a DS Lite.

Looked at Open Pandora, saw insanely HIGH price for relatively crap specs and ROFLMAO, given that I could buy a Tegra 2 Android tablet or a much more capable netbook for less! Geez, even my unsubsidized phone was less!

Anyways started getting dragged back again, by looking a Dingoo Tech a320 is a bit dated and won't ever run psx games well, a330 wasn't much of an up, and the a380 is apparently mired in controversy and getting little support all with a MIPS based SoC and no opengl support.

Then there was the Gemei a330(Dingoo Digital ga330EX as well IIRC) with ARM9 CPU like the Caanoo, but again it's psx perf doesn't seem all that great and they used a SoC from a dubious supplier, China Chip or the CC1800 to be specific.

So, then I looked at the PSP3000 and yep found that they discovered the keys so that homebrew could be directly executed and that there were temporary means of running a custom fw with perfect psx gaming.

At nearly the same time I notice the GPH Caanoo, but hate to say it looks kinda dead, like the Gemei a330(which I had still been kicking around). Caanoo is in kind of a pickle as the only competitive price now is from play-asia given that you can walk into a store and buy a PSP3000 new for $129.99 while pretty much everywhere online but play-asia($129.99) the caanoo is $146-170...

Now for me OTOH I've got a Qualcomm MSM8655 based phone, a Tegra 2 tablet, Archos A43IT(16GB), and a Nook Color, all with VASTLY superior specs to everything but the Pandora but even these kick Pandora's butt with it's insanely high price and questionable availability, plus I've already got fpsce on the tablets and several other emulators that work well. If I want gaming controls: a PS3 6 axis controller or Wii controller via bluetooth, and keyboard support. So I'm really coming to the point as to questioning where's the value to me in the purchase of a dedicated console that won't do anything better than other devices I already own, so I'm edging away from portable consoles again until something that REALLY WOWS me comes out. (I had thought that would be the Pandora but given their problems, delays(years), and price(!) it just never happened.)

As to Sony compatible Memory Sticks, one of the PSP sites did some testing with two dual uSD <-> Memory Stick adapters and they actually seemed to achieve higher throughput than Sony/Sandisk memory sticks. Sorry I don't recall the brand but it was stickied IIRC at either gbatemp or psx-scene...

Oh, and the custom fw I read something about even with some(most?) of the 3000s you could possibly downgrade the fw to 6.20 and install a permanent custom fw, but even w/o doing that it seems that it's just a matter of runnning an installed app to get the custom fw running instead of stock... I didn't really followup on it as by the time I did this I was back to considering why spend the $$$ when I have other devices that are already more powerful and can fulfill similar functionality as far as emulation goes...

cutterjohn, I hear you. I was late jumping onto the bandwagon as I bought my Wiz and Caanoo just this summer. I was seriously hoping they would outperform my CFW PSPs.

- Easier software installation: no, it's about the same
- Better emulator selection: no, the PSP has some emulated systems the Wiz/Caanoo do not
- Markedly better emulation performance: no, for every emulator that shines on the Wiz/Caanoo, there is at least one that is worse
- Better stability than PSP homebrew: no, just as many apps require the system to be powered off, a surprise that's not better than hacked PSPs
- Able to store most if not all of the software on a 32GB SD card: no, I've only been able to use an 8GB SD card without problems

Sure, I can run Ginge to get older GP software working, but running an emulator/interpreter to run another emulator is a kludge too far for me.

Sure, I could learn to build my own emulator ports, but unless I got deep into learning how to optimize for the Wiz/Caanoo my ports wouldn't run better than what's already out there. There's no reason for me to invest that kind of time to do something someone else has already done on a PSP or other device I own.

After my first month of use I am somewhat disappointed. Because the Wiz and Caanoo hardware are open source and therefore more easily accessible to developers, I expected the experience to be better than a closed-system PSP that is theoretically much more difficult to create software for. The SD card problems surprised me the most, and wasted days of my time trying to figure out what was going on.

After all of that being said, I'm still not ready to give up on them yet. I've still got a handful of Wiz emulators to fully test, I haven't even gotten to all of the native games, and most of my time has been spent with the Wiz so I've still got a ways to go with the Caanoo before I make my final verdicts...

akator said:
cutterjohn, I hear you. I was late jumping onto the bandwagon as I bought my Wiz and Caanoo just this summer. I was seriously hoping they would outperform my CFW PSPs.

- Easier software installation: no, it's about the same
- Better emulator selection: no, the PSP has some emulated systems the Wiz/Caanoo do not
- Markedly better emulation performance: no, for every emulator that shines on the Wiz/Caanoo, there is at least one that is worse
- Better stability than PSP homebrew: no, just as many apps require the system to be powered off, a surprise that's not better than hacked PSPs
- Able to store most if not all of the software on a 32GB SD card: no, I've only been able to use an 8GB SD card without problems

Sure, I can run Ginge to get older GP software working, but running an emulator/interpreter to run another emulator is a kludge too far for me.

Sure, I could learn to build my own emulator ports, but unless I got deep into learning how to optimize for the Wiz/Caanoo my ports wouldn't run better than what's already out there. There's no reason for me to invest that kind of time to do something someone else has already done on a PSP or other device I own.

After my first month of use I am somewhat disappointed. Because the Wiz and Caanoo hardware are open source and therefore more easily accessible to developers, I expected the experience to be better than a closed-system PSP that is theoretically much more difficult to create software for. The SD card problems surprised me the most, and wasted days of my time trying to figure out what was going on.

After all of that being said, I'm still not ready to give up on them yet. I've still got a handful of Wiz emulators to fully test, I haven't even gotten to all of the native games, and most of my time has been spent with the Wiz so I've still got a ways to go with the Caanoo before I make my final verdicts...
Oh before I forget, that dual uSD Memory stick adapter review may have been stickied at psphackz or whatever that sire is called... I didn't keep a bookmark and closed the tabs when I decided why bother with a dedicated console when I already own superior gadgets...

Yep, the closest thing that still interests me from these toy devices really is the Ben Nanonote which is also open hw design. I just wish that there was something similar with a more recent SoC, WiFi, bluetooth, and maybe a bit more DRAM. I'd probably still buy one of those even though I'm not much into hw hacking it'd be a handy/almost useful sized device with a kb(similar to Pandora but more reasonably priced).

The Caanoo really sounded nice to me as it came with 128M RAM v. the 32-64M that everything else had. I think that I'd really consider a dedicated portable console IF they shipped with say 256M RAM, bluetooth, WiFi, and at least a cortex-a8 based SoC along with sdk support of some kind, but right now their specs are just too low to be worth the bother. (The only thing that reall got me about the PSP was close-to-perfection psx gaming, homebrew looks to be dying on it though.)

[EDIT]
Still really thinking about possibly nabbing a PSP3000 as it's readily available, hackable, and can play commercial PSP games(not many good ones, but some) as well as all the emulators and stuff. I just need to get over the spending money on something that I really don't need and may not even use at the end of the day enough to justify even a relatively low cost I'd probably go for Caanoo IF they could get the cost below $100 and the Dingoo Tech a320/a330/a380 seem to just be too underpowered for my tastes/wants while the likely more useful Gemei a330 is being ignored even though their pricing points are low enough that I could get over the guilt of buying something that I may not end up doing much with, e.g. that's where I'm already at now with the Archos A43, I pretty much only use it to stream radio via tunein radio over WiFi
[/EDIT]

I have a Caanoo and I pretty much love it. Like Cutterjohn I have access to gadgets that outperform the Caanoo without even trying, but unlike those gadgets, the Caanoo (and other handhelds) were made for their task at hand.

Sure my phone has better specs, sure my tablet has better specs, sure my notebook has better specs, but all of them lack one thing that is very important in a portable gaming device, they lack proper inputs.

Back