Caanoo / WIZ Caanoo Homebrew Game Programming Help Needed

mwood168

Still Fresh
Perhaps you can point me in the right direction with the overall project that I'm taking on.

With the aid of a few effects and make-up artists, I'm creating a interactive "movie prop". Imagine it as something out of the movie "Critters" or a Cronenberg movie. I would like to embed this rubber art project with a means of communication for the person who is going to receive this custom gift. I was thinking of using the DS because of its simplicity to disassemble and arrange its working parts in any location. But I have dropped the DS idea because of it's inability to run a video while in game.

Imagine the control keys being underneath this creature's flesh. And the use of possibly a Caanoo's touchscreen and programming possibilities would take this idea where I want to go, and bring this "alien" more to life.

How would you go about attempting this?

what I'm looking for is a portable touchscreen with programming capabilities that could turn this creature into a mobile adventure game.

Here are some of the sequences I would like my buddy to experience;

Here is how I envision it;

I hand this cocoon like object to this gift's receiver who in turn examines it and I instruct her to push in it's "belly button" or "nipple" , under which is the machine power button.

The DS/pocket pc/Caanoo powers up, and I would like it to go immediatedly into the game. And when I say "game" i do not mean a game in the common sense of the word. Im looking to use something, whether it be a DS or a Caanoo to operate the experience I am trying to make her experience.

So upon powering, I would like there to be some breathing or humming sounds (wav files, etc) perhaps some rumbling (rumble pack).

After 30 seconds or so, more sound waves, a voice saying "emmm, your hands are warm." followed by, "I'm so weak. help me, can you help, feed me, I need power, search my body"

she will them further examine this creature and find under a flap of rubber, a fleshy umbilical cord which houses a plug to be plugged into a wall outlet.

She then plugs into an outlet. and over time the humming will grow loader, turn to moaning, and minutes later, the touchscreen of the device will begin flashing static, followed by images or video.

All the while, the cord in the wall outlet hasnt caused any of this, its simply a prop which isnt connected to anything internally. It only serves as dramatic effect..

and from there on, the creature becomes interactive through the touchscreen. a touch followed by video and whatnot.

More or Less, its an adventure game...

How would you attempt to pull this off? Familiar with the Caanoo at all, it seems to have the capibilities but its difficult to find much to read upon about it.

Is there a game maker program that could be programmed to take use of the Caanoo's touchscreen and be able to play in game (splash) videos.

Thanks,

That's... a bit creepy sounding, heh. But if I were you, I'd just program the Caanoo to start off with a black screen and when the person presses the button, it continues with the game. I think BennuGD as well as SDL and the GPH SDK's DaVinci Game Engine can do videos, but I'm not sure.

@SolarLune

That's exactly what I would like to do, concerning Caanoo starting off with a black screen and entering the game from there on.. I figured that that was something minor to worry about down the line.. I've got bigger bones to pick.

Are the programs that you have mentioned capable to create games which use the touchscreen AND support video play with-in the game??

How about creating a FLASH game for windows that can be ported into the Caanoo?

Uggghhh, I know that I'm way ahead of myself, by I'm eager to learn.

please help. what would be my best approach?

Thanks gang.

@SolurLune

Forgot to mention that I haven't purchased the Caanoo yet. I was assuming after doing some research that the Caanoo console would be the best option to pull off this idea. But I'm open to anything that would work. Does the Wiz support programs that will pull this off? I haven't found any proof that the DS could support in game video.

The Wiz should be able to do this fine - the only new hardware differences for the Caanoo would be the tilt sensor and microphone, basically. BennuGD could do it, I think, but I believe SDL is the more correct choice. You'll have to do some research to figure out which language is the best, but BennuGD's fairly easy to learn.

Back