Caanoo / WIZ Caanoo Fw On Da Wiz?

GernotFrisch

Hi,

do you think it would be possible to put the Caanoo firmware on a Wiz, later? The EABI/OABI issue is quite terrifying me. That way we could use one binary for both devices again.

KungPhoo said:
Hi,

do you think it would be possible to put the Caanoo firmware on a Wiz, later? The EABI/OABI issue is quite terrifying me. That way we could use one binary for both devices again.

from what ive heard as long as they built the kernel correctly both modes can be supported. The bigger issues will be with the screen rotation mode and the analog stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see why the analogue stick would be an issue? Senquack managed to simulate presses at the GPIO level on the GP2X, this may well work with the analogue stick on the Pollux too. Sounds more like people finding excuses to moan than an actual problem ;). (I'm also not convinced about the rotation thing since as I understood it, most things worked in 320x240 mode or had an option to switch between them anyway, but whatever).

Orkie said:
I really don't see why the analogue stick would be an issue? Senquack managed to simulate presses at the GPIO level on the GP2X, this may well work with the analogue stick on the Pollux too. Sounds more like people finding excuses to moan than an actual problem ;) . (I'm also not convinced about the rotation thing since as I understood it, most things worked in 320x240 mode or had an option to switch between them anyway, but whatever).

Well of course they may or may not be be possible problems, but you seem to be going out of your way to give GPH the benefit of the doubt.
If they did plan and get both modes to work with the stick then great, if they support both screen modes then great.

Since no one has shown existing sw running on a real device, why can we speculate what the issues might be.

It's not *you* I have a problem with, as you know. All I am saying is, these so called 'problems' if they exist are most likely fixable. I don't think GPH will fix them, I've not naïve. I do however think they will be fixed, and with little effort. There is no point keep repeating the speculation, it has been speculated, so all that remains is to wait and see.

Orkie said:
It's not *you* I have a problem with, as you know.
ok ;-)

Orkie said:
All I am saying is, these so called 'problems' if they exist are most likely fixable. I don't think GPH will fix them, I've not naïve. I do however think they will be fixed, and with little effort. There is no point keep repeating the speculation, it has been speculated, so all that remains is to wait and see.

I also agree that any issue can be fixed with custom firmware, isnt that the main reason for open based devices :)

Having a compatible kernel on Wiz would be a good move, but getting people to switch and existing programs ported could be challenging, especially if it's just to support one person's programs... would have probably had a better success rate if it happened sooner.

Back