C64 Tape Drive C2N won't load tape data... help?

___

Advanced Member
@sm0kew0n I received a huge parcel from you on monday. The list of awesome games it contained is staggering! There's turrican 1 & 2, Capcom hits like ghosts'n'goblins, shooters like blood money, salamander and 1949... the complete dizzy collection. So much more...

Sad thing is that I cannot play any of them :(

The tape drive doesn't load. It runs and reacts (C64 registers play button being pressed), but there is literally no signal at all coming on the data line. The C64C I got from you has some sort of fault, as the tape drive's motor won't work at all on it. I am using my breadbin for testing.
I have checked the attached cable for continuity and all is fine. When I try to adjust the head using a program that graphically displays the read signal, I get nothing at all.

I have downloaded a schematic of the C2N Tape Drive which contains oscillograms of the signals that should be present, but really have not idea how to operate an oscilloscope.
http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/Commodore/C2N/Service_Manual/page_17.html

That link has an online Version of the service manual.

Anyone willing to help me out on what to look for?

BTW: I have an oscilloscope that I would love to learn how to use. I have watched a couple of youtube videos, so I think I know what I have to do, but the scope is really old! It does not have a ground clamp attached to the probe. I think there is a separate ground pin that a second probe has to be attached to on the faceplate (BNC and it is labelled with a GND symbol). Is that correct?

Do I even need to get out the oscilloscope? Any tips on where and what I could check for?

Yes, a separate ground line is what I learned with. I'd suggest testing for continuity between as close the the non-grounded end of the read head and the output socket first though. I assume you've inspected the head and seen that it doesn't look like it needs cleaning, and is in alignment. Also, does recording onto a blank tape do anything? Do the mechanical tests first though.

@levi thanks for the advice! I have cleaned the head with isopropyl alcohol before. I did it quite thoroughly.

I will check the continuity of the head first...

There is mention of a slide-switch in the trouble shooting diagrams of the manual.
http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/Commodore/C2N/Service_Manual/page_04.html
Where is that thing? I'd like to check that as well. The leaf-switch works and I have found it quite easily.

Back