• YES, and i prefer my Caanoo vs my Pandora

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • NO, i prefer my GP32 vs my Caanoo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

renejr902

Website
Visit site
*** NOTE: ( i updated some info i told here, in my next post, read my next post too) ***

Since i have my caanoo. i just play with this handheld. sure it has this analog stick.. even without a d-pad this is the best handheld for retro games that i owned.

and i owned near all of them except pandora.

i had all these handheld and i sold all of them because i just want to keep my caanoo:

- Tapwave Zodiac 2
- gp2x wiz
- 3 gp32
- 2 gp2x
- dingoo a320
- letcool
- psp hacked 2000 for homebrew and emulators ( i keep it , i didnt sold it finally, because with two 2500 mah batteries i can play 10 hours in travel wihtout charge and for play recent 3d games)
- DS with homebrew and emulators
- DSI with hombrew and emulators
- 2 original gameboy and gamegear.
and more

I just need the caanoo for emulation. its the only handheld i need.

So if you want to buy a handheld for emulation, Buy a Caanoo. All emlators work full speed and full screen. I love this thing.

I made this topic because i own all of them and i think you deserve to know the truth or at least what i think about the caanoo vs others handheld.

i really like more my Caanoo than my wiz or any others handheld

THE REASONS: (i mostly compare my caanoo with my wiz)

- screen quality is similar to Wiz screen. and the caanoo screen is so bright, really great. the colors are great too. only the black is not as good vs Wiz. Dingoo a320 lcd screen is not very good, but its acceptable.

- the emulators works better or the same. GBA is faster. NES emulator is better, no tearing at all. really annoying on the wiz, even with the rotating version.
SNES has a better scaling view. its look better in the caanoo than wiz. speed is the same. and SNES is really fullspeed 60fps for all games except a few one, that still runs at 100% speed with a few less FPS. i hate playing a emulator that dont work exactly like the real HARDWARE. So if i love the snes on the caanoo, believe me its near perfect. Picodrive is the same, perfect for me. Oh boy gameboy is better than wiz , really faster and have a fullscreen scaling option that look great. really more enjoyable. Gamegear and sega master, is better too, because you have 2 great emulators and both runs great with fullscreen scaling option. playing gamegear and sega master not fullscreen in the wiz is a real pain. LOL Neo Geo is the same. Mame seems the same. CPS2 seems the same.
Note: the Dingoo A320 emulators are mostly worst than my wiz emulators. so i compare my caanoo emulators with wiz emulators.

- 3.5' screen is really A BIG DIFFERENCE with 2.8 Believe me. In my wiz i had difficulty to play nes. Nes on my caanoo its wonderful. dingoo a320 is 2.8 like wiz.

- the wiz oled screen has very little blur when fast action, from left to right. and caanoo LCD screen is really great, not really more blur than wiz. its impressive for a LCD screen. you understand what i means if you play emulators on a PSP. it a disaster. Dingoo A320 has some blur but its acceptable.

- the wiz and dingoo a320 is very small for text reading, Caanoo 3.5 is really more readable.

- Caanoo stick cant beat Wiz D-PAD, but the Wiz D-pad was not great, so i can live with the Caanoo stick. The GP32 stick was the best, but it was a digital stick not analog like caanoo. i remember the day i bought my gp32 only a few months after its release, it was so nice at that time.
STILL DONT WORRY, the caanoo stick is 100 times better than gp2x f-100 stick. you cant compare them, gp2x stick is really BAD, a disaster, a nightmare... i never own a gp2x f-200 with the 4 separate buttons for control. i suppose it was a disaster too.
the caanoo stick is responsive like a great d-pad, only the feeling is different. but work great like a d-pad.
and the caanoo stick is 50 times better than Tapwave Zodiac stick. zodiac stick was a nightmare too. and i dont like much the a320 d-pad, so for me the caanoo stick is better and more enjoyable. i cant believe i can say something like that about a stick. i hate so much the gp2x and zodiac stick. i even mod my gp2x with a d-pad

The TRUTH is ( OR my own opinion) : The Wiz is really better than Dingoo A320. and the CAANOO is really better than the WIZ. TODAY for a new customer, only a few of them will prefer a a320 or the wiz VS the Caanoo. The caanoo beat them completly : screen size and quality ,emulators speed and scaling.

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, i really tried my best.

Last edited by a moderator:
caanoo for life, my wiz is sold and my dingoo sold too, only the caanoo can give fun to me ;)

I doubt that the emulators are much faster than the Wiz, because of the similar hardware. Perhaps it's faster because it doesn't have to take anti-tear measures, but that's it.

My vote goes for the Caanoo. It has a big screen, but is still handy (and it has Animatch, my favorite freeware game).

Nevertheless, other handhelds have other advantages:

- Dingoo is small, has a long battery life and the best GBA emulator
- Wiz has the most mature emulators and a D-pad
- Pandora is fast, has a long battery life and a big display (CPS games without scaling!)
- Xperia Play is very fast and plays all 8/16-bit games perfect

Yoshi Dragon said:
My vote goes for the Caanoo. It has a big screen, but is still handy (and it has Animatch, my favorite freeware game).

Nevertheless, other handhelds have other advantages:

- Dingoo is small, has a long battery life and the best GBA emulator
- Wiz has the most mature emulators and a D-pad
- Pandora is fast, has a long battery life and a big display (CPS games without scaling!)
- Xperia Play is very fast and plays all 8/16-bit games perfect

Yeah , Dingoo is a much better media player than Wiz or Caanoo Uae4all has savestates(biggie for me) and Vice and UAEfor all have the possibility for binding keystrokes both of which Caanoo and Wiz lack(biggie for me) and easy to use tv-out and yeah the battery life is fantastic, i got over 10 hours of video playback on one charge..

Caanoo is just too big for my liking, no dosbox,Java/mobile but i still like it and own all 3 (wiz,caanoo,dingoo) The extra usb out is great too for multiplayer/usb keyboard etc.

I disagree about the OP's screen comment.

The colors are not that good on the Caanoo, it has poor reds, and poor color temperature. The wiz, while it had amazing reds, had poor blues.

To be honest, only thing I like about the Caanoo is the sound quality..

Also, the Caanoo has an odd "fixed" refresh rate that doesn't match NTSC or PAL at all, so it's never smooth or even closely VSynced.. The Wiz on the other hand, can use 120 or 100Hz refresh, and are exactly x2 the NTSC and PAL counterparts.

Cannoo

+ Runs CP2 and Neo Geo emulation faster than the Wiz
+ Much faster boot time
+ Better build quality and much tighter, more responsive buttons
+ More features (g-sensor, rumble, ability to play tall vertical shmups by turning the console longwise)
+ Better specs but that is all dependent on the much younger development scene
+ Great stereo sound with an impressive low range when listening through headphones
+ Bigger screen
+ Hopefully won't encounter screen rot like I did with Wiz, nor the quickly wearing down of the button/d-pad silicone within the console

+/-

- Wiz runs SNES emulation better
- Wiz runs FBA
- Better screen with deeper blacks and more vibrant colors
- More portable size
- Better development community

i didnt know the xperia can run emulator. i thought this device will be protected like the psp. do you need to hack the xperia to run emulator ?

Not much discussion about Wiz vs Pandora. i was curious about that.

But, This topic will be great for newcomers, that hesitate to buy a handheld.

and i really found some emulators that are faster than Wiz or runs better, nes, gameboy and gba runs better than wiz. its true that gba runs great on dingoo. But the PSP gba emulator is the best. but you have to live with ghostling and blur, thanks to psp lcd screen.
Snes emus run very slightly better on the wiz than caanoo.

But i never try any playstation 1 emulator so i cant comment about that.

its true that not all emulators are fullspeed, i suppose ps1 emulator is not fullspeed and more others emulators too, but for the emulators that i use they are fullspeed to me and 60fps. only a few snes games dont have 60 fps. at 720 mhz i think mariokart its around 55 fps same thing for f-zero, but they are full speed just not 60 fps. But some games runs even worst with transparency ON. Star fox run poorly. i suppose that games that use a chip are not 60 fps. But all very playable, but star fox is not playable to me. i know that Sega CD games with picodrive are not all 60 fps too. never try 32x games.

about the colors im not a expert, i just think the caanoo colors look great and the brightness is strong. But the black on wiz is really impressive for a handheld. But i cant explain it very well but the wiz oled screen look more realistic, its something very special. when you look at the main menu the first time, you know that quality surpass LCD. But because of the tearing, i prefer the caanoo screen. nes emulator on wiz dont seem very smooth vs Caanoo even withthe tearing correction. the wiz screen is small and it seem more blurry than Caanoo in some emulators. I prefer the caanoo screen, but i still really like the Wiz oled screen. Oled is the future.

The xperia play is an android device. There's a lot of emulators on android, even a N64 emulator.
And, the xperia play has full gaming controls. So yeah, not only can it run emulator, it runs them with steez and real controls!

A320 ftw, sure its screen is pretty bad in the sun, but its size and homebrew more then make up for it, and i actually like playing Street fighter on a DECENT d-pad

I have a PSP slim, it has bigger/better screen then dingoo, and emulators run better (no frame skip for pretty much everything) i still prefer a320, Awesome size, Homebrew and battery life

I sold my PSP bec. I didn't like the idea of hacking it after every system update. And of course the PSP has one of the worst batterys I know.

Promised Planet said:
How's MAME on the Caanoo? That's my favorite emulator. (And my favorite game is Robotron:2084 :) )

Mame works great on Caanoo.

Back