Built in Laser keyboard for pyra?

I don't know, I've never liked touchscreen or laser keyboards specifically because there is no feedback. Plus, a camera can serve multiple purposes. Unless you're about to tell me that the laser keyboard can double as a micro-projector, I feel it doesn't really beat out a camera.

-God Ginrai

^ I dare say you could use it to bring down an aeroplane, you couldn't do that with a camera. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason that the bottom half of the Pandora is not a large touchscreen is because tactile feedback matters.

I can't imagine that typing on a hard table without feeling the keys is superior to typing on the small Pandora keyboard.

Dependant on cost, a laser keyboard would be a better option than a camera imo.

Imagine having a full sized qwerty projected onto a table.

It would work well on trains for example.

It sure would be a unique selling point too.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3506/celluon-magic-cube-review-laser-keyboard
EXCELLENT IDEA! Now, when the Pyra comes out you already have a diy project lined up for it. Feel free to make as many threads on the subject, but this aint coming in stock. If you want something like that you'll need to do it yourself.

According to the link above, the laser keyboard handles as well, if not better than a touchscreen keyboard. With a laser keyboard the pyra's portability is maintained, otherwise you have to plug in an external physical keyboard.

Usb cameras can be easily bought if needed. A camera would be useful for video chat at most.

^ I dare say you could use it to bring down an aeroplane, you couldn't do that with a camera. :p
 I dare say you have not seen Speed Grapher.

62zze.gif

With a laser keyboard the pyra's portability is maintained, otherwise you have to plug in an external physical keyboard.
The Pyra's portability is already maintained by the keyboard on the device.

-God Ginrai

It would work well on trains for example
But not while laying in bed, or standing in line, or sitting in the passenger seat of a car, or any of the other multitude of uses.Are you proposing a laser keyboard in conjunction with or to replace the physical keyboard? If the latter you will get absolutely no support but I wish you luck in trying all the same.

Dependant on cost, a laser keyboard would be a better option than a camera imo.
What cost would be the balancing point for you? For example, if a camera cost $15 and a laser keyboard cost $30, is that still a good trade off?

Well its just a suggestion. Cameras are in everything including the mobile phone we all have.

AR games are never going to appear on the pyra.

Video chat might be useful if we have the software.

Id like a high res camera or no camera myself. Something with good quality.

I'm assuming this is meant to be in addition to instead of replacing the built-in keyboard. At a bare minimum such a thing must allow significantly better typing speed than the built-in keyboard or else there isn't a real point in having it, no matter how large it is. From what I'm reading in reviews, it's difficult to raise above 40-50 words per minute even after acclimating to the device, and the vendors recommend looking at the keyboard while you type. It's not hard to see why this would be the case, normally we use some degree of tactile hints to keep aligned. And even acclimating to this system sounds laborious, at least for me. I remember when I broke my left wrist; not only did my typing speed drop from > 100 wpm to < 30, but I now couldn't touch type whatsoever and had to look at the keyboard. Despite "knowing" where the keys are it's so ingrained in muscle memory it's not something I can easily adapt to a different pattern.

I think it'd be a no-go for other reasons anyway. The standalone devices out now, while reasonably small for what they are, are still much larger than the acceptable footprint available for adding to Pyra. The battery life isn't very good (< 3 hours) which suggests a non-negligible power consumption overhead. They're also expensive (> $150), and while I'm sure the BOM cost is just a fraction of that it'd really have to be under $5 to even be a serious consideration here.

I'm assuming this is meant to be in addition to instead of replacing the built-in keyboard. At a bare minimum such a thing must allow significantly better typing speed than the built-in keyboard or else there isn't a real point in having it, no matter how large it is. From what I'm reading in reviews, it's difficult to raise above 40-50 words per minute even after acclimating to the device, and the vendors recommend looking at the keyboard while you type. It's not hard to see why this would be the case, normally we use some degree of tactile hints to keep aligned. And even acclimating to this system sounds laborious, at least for me. I remember when I broke my left wrist; not only did my typing speed drop from > 100 wpm to < 30, but I now couldn't touch type whatsoever and had to look at the keyboard. Despite "knowing" where the keys are it's so ingrained in muscle memory it's not something I can easily adapt to a different pattern.

I think it'd be a no-go for other reasons anyway. The standalone devices out now, while reasonably small for what they are, are still much larger than the acceptable footprint available for adding to Pyra. The battery life isn't very good (< 3 hours) which suggests a non-negligible power consumption overhead. They're also expensive (> $150), and while I'm sure the BOM cost is just a fraction of that it'd really have to be under $5 to even be a serious consideration here.
Thats a good answer. Maybe the technology will improve in the future.

Sounds like its not a viable option then.

No matter.

Just a question, what's the average typing speed with the pandora's keyboard for you guys? And then compared to your actual typing speed?

Back