My Pandora 1st anniversary - a mini review - a love story - my #1000 forum post

alerino

22/06/2012 UPDATE: Well, it's my Pandora 2nd anniversary!
default_biggrin.png'
YAY!!!! Just fell i had to make a ;)

Unique. The word that describes what pandora is. Unique.

On the May 28th 2010 i jumped on the chance, a one-nubber offered by craig. How could I refuse? Few days later it was shipped. June 14th it arrived in Brasil, 8 days later, a white envelope came to my door. That was the June 22nd. Exactly one year ago.

Being this the post #1000, i wish that it had to be special, my very own review. The first after one year. After so many reviews, YAPR? I'm not a fan of long posts so i'll keep it short.

PROS

- the most prolific/productive community i've ever seen

- a fully featured linux system with real multitasking

- the magic PND. Unbelievably easy to reflash the system. Your system back to normal in 10 minutes.

- insane 10-hour battery life - still improving...
biggrin.gif

- form factor/weight - it kicked my Acer Aspire out of my life, no regrets

- killer features like qwerty, usb host, tv-out and the best gaming controls in the biz

- high quality audio chip

CONS

- temperamental wifi (this can be a dealbreaker imo)

- no suspend to ram

- slow flash

- lack of proprietary software like skype,opera,nimbuzz

- hardware not powerful enough for HD content

MY USABILITY

- at home (resting, mainly): media playing/browsing/IM'ing/remote control admin(ssh/vnc)

- in the plane: watching videos for long hours

- on business trips - media playing/browsing/IM'ing/office suite (abiword/gnumeric/pdf) + USB 3G

- on vacation - unloading pics from SD to HD (needs free space)

- at family's/friend's - mp3 audio out / instant party

- EVERYWHERE: retrogaming
smile.gif

WISHLIST/DREAMS

- a 3.5G data plan/MMS solution (SD based)

- mobile phones standardization and intuitiveness

- easier mobile syncing/tethering

PRICE: a little bit overpriced, but when you get to know how Pandora came (still coming) to life, produced by a small company, you accept it. Comparing to close competitors like the Wiz, Cannoo, N900 and Xperia Play, especially if you look at it as a full featured pocketable mini computer, it is DEFINITELY WORTH.

AUDIENCE: the casual/hardcore retrogamer/linux geek niche. Curious average joes, windows users and apple fanboys would get used to it with some suffering.

BOTTOM LINE: Go Premium if you are a retrogamer and wants back good memories from the past. Pandora is a miracle come true. PERIOD.

To OpenPandora Team, Devs and forum members, thank you guys for being part of my life.

Alerino

This post has been promoted to an article

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review.and contests on your 1000th post

I mean congrats,stupid ipod

I'm gonna review your review:

Pros:

"temperamental wi-fi" - This is something I'm still worried about it, it's unfortunate that it's still a problem but good to know about it instead of assuming.

Cons:

"HD content" - I hate when people use the acronym "HD". The word "Content" is not much better.

"Linux with real multitasking" - This should be a given. You have to buy a lot of bullshit from the phone manufacturers to believe that it's an actual feature and not something you should be guaranteed from any modern PC hardware.

Interesting, but I could have just read a "open issues" post to get the thign about wi-fi.

Glad it's working out well for you, I might be ordering some day here.

"Linux with real multitasking" - This should be a given. You have to buy a lot of bullshit from the phone manufacturers to believe that it's an actual feature and not something you should be guaranteed from any modern PC hardware.

It should be, but it's not. That's why it's great here, as it exists as a standard on the Pandora. What other mobile devices have multitasking out of the box, or at the first in the line?

Stellar review, Alerino. Your 1000th perfectly describes the beating heart of the Open Pandora. Not only did you reinforce common pros and cons, but your emphasis on the uniqueness answers the common question of, "Why would I enjoy this device?"

I think anyone on the spectrum from Apple fanboy to Windows joe COULD come to enjoy this device despite its age if the right improvements are made on the software side. Still not everyone could afford it or would want its particular feature set, but it's VERY close in many respects to the kind of user-friendliness that the regular jane/joe wants and needs.

Every day I use it I thank the designers and the developers for where we are now.

Last edited by a moderator:
now's the perfect moment to flame the Alerino, he won't be able to reply without breaking his #1000 post count :D

Nice write up Alerino covers everything succintly. Must be my anniversary sometime soon but I've lost my sales invoice, so will have to ask the wife when it arrived. She'll know, as it was the same day i started ignoring her completely rather than mostly
wink.gif

Back