Built-in Charger?!

fargo

I'm wondering why GPH did not put an internal charger in GP2X just like any other portable device?! Carrying an external charger, an AC adapter, and extra batteries is the most annoying thing about GP2X <_<

Why did they not include a proper D-pad .. and RCA-type jacks for the TV out, and a single core 400MHZ cpu instead of ...

... ;)

Why did they not include a proper D-pad .. and RCA-type jacks for the TV out, and a single core 400MHZ cpu instead of ...

... ;)
OK, they chose the stick over D-pad and their jack over RCA-type for the TV out and dual 200MHz CPUs instead of one 400MHz CPU, etc. BUT, they did not put any charger! All portable devices nowadays, from the cheapest mobile phone to the most expensive console, have built-in charger, but GP2X has none! This missed feature is the most stupid thing they have done.

Last edited by a moderator:

... ;)
OK, they chose the stick over D-pad and their jack over RCA-type for the TV out and dual 200MHz CPUs instead of one 400MHz CPU, etc. BUT, they did not put any charger! All portable devices nowadays, from the cheapest mobile phone to the most expensive console, have built-in charger, but GP2X has none! This missed feature is the most stupid thing they have done.

Oh, so you were serious.

No, the GP32 also had no built-in charger. These systems work just fine on rechargeable AAs. Keeps the cost down, y'know ..

You may also notice that all handhelds that have chargers also have built-in proprietary batteries.

- Alex

You can recharge batteries in 15 minutes now. If you buy the actual adapter it isn't that big.

... ;)

Well for one thing RCA (composite video) looks like living shit. It has bleedy colors, is blurry, is full of dot crawl, and shit color saturation and contrast. RCA is like the worst possible video output you can get, next to the "TV-GAME" RF switch. S-video looks 10X better. You should be glad they didn't give us the lowest common denominator rube shit. You can always downconvert to craposite but you can't go up.

I'm wondering why GPH did not put an internal charger in GP2X just like any other portable device?! Carrying an external charger, an AC adapter, and extra batteries is the most annoying thing about GP2X <_<

That is not as annoying as having some stupid built-in battery that you can't swap out when it dies leaving the unit a worthless brick until you get back home to charge and wait for 4 hours ;)

That is not as annoying as having some stupid built-in battery that you can't swap out when it dies leaving the unit a worthless brick until you get back home to charge and wait for 4 hours ;)
Hmm, I think they can give us the best from both worlds, AA batteries and built-in charger.

Hmm, I think they can give us the best from both worlds, AA batteries and built-in charger.

You picked a silly and trite gripe.

The USB can be powered from INTERNAL 5 VOLTS, that is being supplied right NOW, inside your GP2X. There is room to put 3 whole USB jacks on the back, it is being done by end users??

The Video Encoder will output Full VGA?? Why are we tossed s-video and composite trash??

The Breakout box REQUIRES 12volts @ 1 AMP, to power a 5 volt USB interface??

Unless you have a degree in engineering, a round-trip ticket to south korea, and speak the laguage fluently, shut up. I don't see you contributing, only bitching. I would head off to 8- hours at school with a spare set of AAs in the pocket and never ran out of juice. I had 4 more AAs charging at home (could have just as easily benn in the car too), the charger and all 8 (Eight) batteries cost $20.

Oooh, tough tits.

2500Mah batteries and hours of play time for $20, a full 320x240 screen backlit and Gigs of SD storage for a pittance, I will proceed to bitch heartily that I didn't get $500 worth of hardware for $200 and pay the difference at $40-$50 a game.

P.S. If a charger would rock your world, go to "Battery Masters" or some other battery store and get a Lithium-Ion battery pack with a charging circuit, they can put it in for you. While at it, put the new jack out the top or bottom so you can actually play the GP2X while you charge it.

EDIT: I just noticed your sig, pity that list missed Descent I and II, both open source and the first games that were entirely 3D with enemies and levels and 360 degrees of freedom and control. Maybe someone should update that page ;).

@nubie: you wrote all that just to convince me that GP2X does not need a built-in charger :blink: Ok, I'm not convinced by your argument and still see there is a need. So?!

Mods: please close the topic; there is no point in arguing on this issue.

P.S. If a charger would rock your world, go to "Battery Masters" or some other battery store and get a Lithium-Ion battery pack with a charging circuit, they can put it in for you. While at it, put the new jack out the top or bottom so you can actually play the GP2X while you charge it.
@nubie: you wrote all that just to convince me that GP2X does not need a built-in charger :blink: Ok, I'm not convinced by your argument and still see there is a need. So?!

:blink: :blink:

I don't get it, put one in yourself. Why can't you?

Hey Fargo I see your point about carrying an Ac adapetr,external charger and 2AA batteries but it ain't that bad.

At first I wasn't happy because the use of 2AA batteries but its actually better!!!

I usually carry with me 4 batteries 2700mah(2 on the gp2x&2 on my gp2x case and The case still has space left) and I always have like 10 hours of gameplay with 4 batteries.I don't play that much but i see lot of movies so I usually charge my batteries like 3 or 4 times a week so its actually better for me because if am on the middle of a game or a movie I can always turn it off and change the batteries no matter my location(bus,bank,work etc etc etc).

I wrote all that to convince you that the Korean company making this device is committing far more serious errors than lack of charging.

The power chip in the GP2X can produce 4 fully controllable voltages, yet they can't even figure out the backlight or USB host.

The video out is nice, but since the chip can make 480p widescreen RGB (aka SCART) or Y/Pr/Pb (aka Component) or VGA they are seriously under-utilising more hardware than the batteries.

I am agreeing with you so vehemently that you just can't see it. GPH is committing more errors than simple power supply, at least that works for a matter of hours.

Edit, are you using the charger that snaps closed into a small unit and has a swing-out power prong arrangement? I didn't find that a hassle to carry. Well actually I didn't find it a necessity to carry.

Nubie, what's wrong with you?

I agree with fargo, a built in charger for the AAs would definitely be great, I hate this battery shuffling
I AGREE WITH FARGO,

BATTERY CHARGERS ARE NICE.

VGA IS NICE, USB IS NICE. pennies to put in VGA and USB is better spent than $xx to put in a charging circuits

END OF LINE

Well for one thing RCA (composite video) looks like living shit. It has bleedy colors, is blurry, is full of dot crawl, and shit color saturation and contrast. RCA is like the worst possible video output you can get, next to the "TV-GAME" RF switch. S-video looks 10X better. You should be glad they didn't give us the lowest common denominator rube shit. You can always downconvert to craposite but you can't go up.
Actually the output on the little cable that is supplied outputs S-Video, which is better than composite. Not as good as RGB or Component, but the reason for using S-Video on the standard video cable is that it's easier to plug it into your television.

I'm sure you're aware of the common standards, but for those who are not, here is a little list in order of quality. I haven't gone into depth here, I have just kept it simple..

RGB: The best you will get. The Red, Green, Blue and Sync signals can drive your monitor directly with no encode/decoding. You get a perfectly crisp and clear signal with no degradation. Typically RGB consists of five signals: Red, Green, Blue, Vertical Sync & Horizontal Sync. Sometimes the Sync signals are combined into into one.

Component: This has separated brightness and colour signals, but the Colour is also separated into two signals, Red and Blue. All down 3 RCA(Phono) connectors. This format is not as good as RGB, but is cleaner than Composite and the colours bleed less than S-Video.

S-Video: This carries 2 signals, Brightness and Colour. This is much cleaner and provides a much stabler image than with Composite. You can create a composite signal from these by connecting the two signals together. The problem here is the Monitor/TV has to then separate them again introducing degradation. If you have an S-Video input, then use that in preference to Composite.

Composite: This has one signal line with everything combined, The device sending the signal has to combine all the signals into one, and the TV/Monitor has to split it all again. Each phase introduces noise and degradation into the signal. Most people don't notice this with Moving video but it's not viable to use this method for Hi Res Computer Use.

RF: Now this is the worst of the worst. This format is designed for transmission as it takes composite video and piggy backs it onto a carrier wave, the device at the other end has to then decode that signal taking away the carrier wave. Both the above introduces yet more degradation and noise into the mix. Never ever use RF if it is avoidable.

It's worth noting that all the above except for RGB have some form of encoding/decoding involved, and that means degradation. RGB is really the only way to go if you want to view a high resolution signal such as your computers desktop.

By the way, I did not mention Hi Definition as I don't think that presently counts when talking about your handheld device. Mind you, neither does RF but I mentioned that just to tell you to totally avoid it at all costs whatever you use.

Edit: I just wanted to add, that using the GP2X with S-Video or Composite is great for Retro Emulation as the older systems would have used either Composite or RF. The spectrum Emulator on the GP2X actually looks better than an original Rubber Keyboarded 48K ZX Spectrum did. Mind you, with my original Speccy I took a composite signal from the modulator input directly into the TV Bypassing the RF altogether, [Fast Show Quote] Which was nice. [/Fast Show Quote] :)

Back