Worldwide Charger?

bbodin

Still Fresh
Just orded my gp2x and I'm trying to figure out which charger to get. I need a worldwide charger as the main reason I'm getting the unit is the flights I take to and from Europe from the US. I plan on getting the energizer 2500mah or the 2600 ansmanns.

Anyway, I had assumed I could get any charger and then use a transformer/convertor in Europe. Is that true? Or do I need a special charger that supports both voltages built in?

Any recommendations? I was looking at the MAHA MH-C801D (it's a worldwide charger).

http://thomasdistributing.com/maha-mh-c801...ery-charger.htm

It's a bit pricey, but I'd be willing to spend that much if I knew it worked well for charging 2600mah batteries for the gp2x. Anyone using this particular model? I don't care about duration of charge (if it takes 8 or even 24 hours it won't matter to me...I don't need a "quick" charger).

You're probably just going to get one of those small $3 outlet adapters that has the prongs for a lot of different places that works for any electric plug.

That looks to be a great charger, but seems somewhat oversized for frequent traveling and as you said it's a bit pricey. I bought this smaller, more affordable charger (Maha C204W) from the same manufacturer and distributor and it seems to live up to the hype on the page. It charges up to about 98% capacity in one hour for 1 pair, 2 hours for 2 pairs. No transformer required for international use, and no power brick.

It comes with a US power cord and you would have to select the European power cords you need (UK $3, rest of Europe $2.50) on the extras page.

You're probably just going to get one of those small $3 outlet adapters that has the prongs for a lot of different places that works for any electric plug.
...and kill your batteries.
There´s a reason that some chargers are expensive, they constantly measure the battery´s internal resistance and give it only as much current as it needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
There´s a reason that some chargers are expensive, they constantly measure the battery´s internal resistance and give it only as much current as it needs.

I'm pretty sure the model I mentioned (C204W) possesses the circuitry you describe... this is from one of their PDFs:
Through unique algorithms, we are able to reach nearly a 98% charging efficiency (that is a 98% charge level in the batteries when the lights turn green) without the risk of undercharging or overcharging. This is through an array of high-resolution 12bit A/D (analog-to-digital) converters and temperature sensors. After all, you don’t want your 2300mAh NiMH AA batteries only charged to 1800mAh.

In addition, Maha’s new processor also features a unique four stage charging process that is found in no other charger:

- Ramp-up
- Rapid Charging
- Top-off Charging
- Maintenance Charging

I'm pretty sure the model I mentioned (C204W) possesses the circuitry you describe...

Hang on a second, chargers of the 4 hour and less variety when charging 2200mAh or higher batteries usually have an external power supply. Thus making your arguments moot, it doesn't matter what the charger does because the power coming in is always the same voltage from the power brick/wall wart.

I suggest going to the store, see if you can read the power supply (the brick like for a laptop or PS2 slim), if it says 110/220v, or 120/240v then you are good to go, just get the right style cord for the country you are in. I personally like those power bricks because of the detachable cord, it is so nice not to have a crappy adaptor on the wall-outlet side of things.

Back