"build Your Own Pandora" Kit

Whilst I think it would be possible, anyone wanting a "build your own pandora" kit would have to wait until batch 2, as I seem to recall Craig wanting to do a 100% test on batch 1, and building, testing and then dismantling to send you a kit would be a little strange.

WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
BackAssward said:
Sphinxter said:

Should what?

Warranty parts instead and sell as a kit.
Despite all the arguments given why it would be a bad idea? What's your reasoning?

Because of all the arguments given. It is a bad move.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were asking me, not him... no, he has no logical argument. Just a selfish one.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
BackAssward said:
Sphinxter said:

Should what?

Warranty parts instead and sell as a kit.
Despite all the arguments given why it would be a bad idea? What's your reasoning?

Assembly and labor are the huge expense, (is if you pay for it anyway and don't leech off your friends and relatives for free instead). As I understand it they're operating at a loss, so charge for what the assembly is actually worth. Think if all they had to do was sort the parts into boxes and slap a label on it how many more could be shipped and how quickly. Just like electrical or auto parts, 'defects only', you damage a part you buy another or pay a pro to assemble it for you. Your whole enterprise suddenly consists of taking stuff out of one box and putting it in another and shipping it, win win win all the way to the bank. Could skip the os, the automated image builder on angstrom is in production now, design your own pandora, what the hell is not to like.

Sphinxter said:
Assembly and labor are the huge expense, (is if you pay for it anyway and don't leech off your friends and relatives for free instead). As I understand it they're operating at a loss, so charge for what the assembly is actually worth. Think if all they had to do was sort the parts into boxes and slap a label on it how many more could be shipped and how quickly. Just like electrical or auto parts, 'defects only', you damage a part you buy another or pay a pro to assemble it for you. Your whole enterprise suddenly consists of taking stuff out of one box and putting it in another and shipping it, win win win all the way to the bank. Could skip the os, the automated image builder on angstrom is in production now, design your own pandora, what the hell is not to like.
Except you're talking about a small proportion of people who would actually want to do this.
While I'm probably capable given instruction, I wouldn't feel comfortable assembling my Pandora, and I certainly wouldn't want to lose my warranty for it.
For the rest of us, they still need to set up an assembly line, and I'm not convinced there would be significant time savings (on their part).

Sphinxter said:
Assembly and labor are the huge expense
Nope, they aren't... in this case.

Edit: Not in this scenario. They took that expense on themselves.

greendots said:
It has been asked before, but with all the required parts in the UK with Craigix, I hope we can have a definitive answer to the question: Will Openpandora ship pandora kits to customers who want to avoid longer waits?

The kit would of course contain everything needed to assemble the unit. It also must have the resistor fix. Easier soldering like required to attach the speakers to the breakout board would be done by the customer.

There is at least two old posts on this subject full of opinions so please don't post an opinion until we have a response from one of the developers.

I would think that would be a nightmare for the OP team, unless you are willing to get the parts as is with no warranty. I know I wouldn't want to pay 330 for it to show up needing full assembly plus soldering.

BackAssward said:
Sphinxter said:

Because they can do it a LOT cheaper than paying the Americans to do the assembly.

Monk said:
BackAssward said:
Sphinxter said:

Because they can do it a LOT cheaper than paying the Americans to do the assembly.
Agreed. Are you making a contrary point or one of agreement?

BackAssward said:
Monk said:
BackAssward said:
Sphinxter said:

Agreed. Are you making a contrary point or one of agreement?

Err - where's the confusion again?

Monk said:
Err - where's the confusion again?
I was agreeing with what it sounded like you meant. Then I asked if you were being felicitous.

What is your confusion?

I DO believe I am a felicitous writer :D Ta

I'm also prone to saying what I mean, and meaning what I say.

Vlynndar said:
One thing.

greendots said:
The LCD cables are now covered with shielding tape

It shields against radiation, not twitchy fingers.

Right... I was referring to how the metal tape covering both sides of the LCD cable reinforces it.

greendots said:
Vlynndar said:
One thing.

greendots said:
The LCD cables are now covered with shielding tape

It shields against radiation, not twitchy fingers.

Right... I was referring to how the metal tape covering both sides of the LCD cable reinforces it.
Skeezix has a prototype (presumably including the metal tape; I think he got it after those tests) and due to some minor fiddling, he managed to damage his cable. His screen has a blue tinge now. Given how vulnerable the cable is, I really don't think metal tape can protect it very well.

Back