Bor Beta 1

Its been said many a time already, but congrats to Squidge and the original makers - this game is great (if a tad speedy at the moment). Very great. With much in the way of cream and cherries, sprinkles, and even, dare I say it, chocolate sauce lol? Its up there with ScummVM, Doom, and KoF '91, as game ports. So congrats, and may the fireworks be fun :)

Just wondering - any chance of adding .mod or .mid support for future versions when you're looking at sound, assuming the current sound is in MP3s? Just simply for the sake of saving space, of course - sticking those in there would probably cut down the .pak file significantly, which consdering 60mb is fairly big, might not be a bad idea. I know Rob (though which Rob, I'm not sure) did a pretty darn efficient Mid routine for Doom, so if you want to use them, you might want to contact him. Though you'd need to have a look at the Doom credits, since I don't know which Rob he is.

Also, for those of you who haven't got decent sized SMCs, try some of the mods out there - they're generally smaller than the original BOR pak.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the audio in BOR isn't MP3. It's some sort of weird compressed format.

I'm hoping the sound will support the sound effects AND music. The soundtrack is awesome. VNV Nation. :D

Crashes at charge time :eek:
I've tried it with european firmware(freeze) , winds up (BIOS monitor) , pacrom (error)... and i've puted the pak and fxe files for two times :angry:
Someone with this problem?

Music in BOR are .WAV (transformed into a .BOR with a conversor program in Edit_Pack).
Sound effects are .WAV directly.

Download EDIT_BOR_PACK and read instructions provided to find this and alot more.

Byes

DoberMann posted on Apr 2 2004 at 10:46 AM said:
Can i also use the dreamcast version??? is there also the *.pak file included that i need?
Yes.
Dreamcast, ps2 & Xbox versions use the same BOR.PAK (60MB aprox.)

Actually you can use PAXPLODE TOOL to uncompress BOR.PAK. Then remove all music files (40 mg) from folder Data/Music and re-compress into a BOR.PAK (using Makefile.bat included in BOR:EDIT_PACK) to make a lighter BOR.PACK for GP32 (20 Mg). And if you want you can add som player char or enemy... XD

Sorry for my bad english

Byes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Dreamcast version come in a .CDI version.
I supose (i don't have Dreamcast :( ) that you must use Isobuster or Magic Iso to uncompress this image.CDI and find your BOR.PAK

Byes

Great work! It looks great and has awesome potential! I longed for a proper beat-em up. And the sprites are huge. Also funny that all those villain names are so silly like 'Stinky' and 'Butter'.

Anyway..it is a tad speedy, so perhaps put some frame limiter on it. You've already mentioned the control changes (and I hope this will fix the character select, as I only seem to be able to select Kula).

MOD/IT/XM music would be optimal (perhaps look into the libmikmod library?)

And that's all, I'm all out of stuff to say. Great work!

please can someone upload the pak explorer because when i try to download it from the link you had posted there is written that the file doesnt exist.
thanx

when i convert all the audio files to mp3 does the package fit on my 32meg card?

Probably, but then it won't work, because the game is expect the data in a totally different format. The best you can expect is static (when sound is implemented) or a game crash/GP reset at worst.

If you want to try it out, just strip out the sound track. It's not working yet anyway.

mudda posted on Apr 2 2004 at 12:38 PM said:
please can someone upload the pak explorer because when i try to download it from the link you had posted there is written that the file doesnt exist.
thanx

when i convert all the audio files to mp3 does the package fit on my 32meg card?
Ok I attach explode.exe in this post.
Click and drag your BOR.PAK on to PAXPLODE.exe and this will automatically uncompress all bor.pak in a folder called DATA (C:/DATA)

Byes

IMPORTANT: RENAME PAXPLODE.TXT to PAXPLODE.EXE

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL

Ok you don't need all edit pack (i dont have the link here at "work" :eek: )

I attach in this post Packer.exe and makepack.bat.
Run makepack.bat (this 2 archives must be in the same diractory that your DATA floder but NO IN IT (example: Data folder is in C:\Bor. Packer.exe & Makepack.bat must be in C:\ BOR)) and will create a Mymod.pak archive based on your data folder
Rename Mymod.pak to BOR.pak and you are ready to action!

IMPORTANT:
RENAME PACKER.TXT TO PACKER.EXE

I must be doing something wrong here or the edit pack is not yet supported, I exploded the pack then remade it using packer.exe and loaded it back onto GP32. It then stated it had ran out of memory after shadow5 or shadow 6.gif

So to cut a long story short, I would wait for the full release before messing with paks unless you have the PC version already (then go right ahead :) )

Back