Bor Beta 1

I only had any trouble when I completed a level with Max as my character. He's a bigger sprite then the girls so I'm guessing it's him that's causing the memory problem. Otherwise it's a belter of a port, best new thing on GP since I got mine last month.

This port is great. I look forward to future developments, especially music and sound. I have to also say that I was impressed at how fast it ran and the fact that it ran better on my GP32 than my pc (AMD 1.6ghz, GeForce 4 Ti4200, 512 DDR 333, etc).

Keep up the good work man. B)

Current beta now loads character selection screen faster and uses a lot less memory, so now supports Megaman. It also uses less memory in the game, but at the expense of the levels taking a slight amount longer to load. I've also added a "level select" in the options menu for testing reasons - it's no use as a cheat as you still have to complete all levels of each difficulty, it just allows you to do them in a different order. Perfect if you just want a quick blast of a certain level.

Now, sound effects...

Current beta now loads character selection screen faster and uses a lot less memory, so now supports Megaman. It also uses less memory in the game, but at the expense of the levels taking a slight amount longer to load.
very happy to know that !!!! :)

I've also added a "level select" in the options menu for testing reasons - it's no use as a cheat as you still have to complete all levels of each difficulty, it just allows you to do them in a different order. Perfect if you just want a quick blast of a certain level.
excellent !!!! :)

all hail the mighty Squidge :D

brilliant port and as others said, better than most official games

also, it runs perfectly at 133mhz so my lame ass un-clockable GP32 can run it :lol:

(thinks of Streets of Rage on Fgen :angry: )

xenon_soft posted on Apr 4 2004 at 10:14 PM said:
It works very good at and also with the NEW "european" bios. If you have the old beta called itself 'European Bios', you MUST update it there

http://www.gamepark.co.kr/betatest/readme_en.htm

And you'll be able to run the BOR Beta 2. It is fantastic.

Yours,
Couldn't there be a version that works with all bios? Some of us (including me) don't want to risk having our GP32 being borked because of a failed flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's beta 3. I've not had that much time, but a few things have changed:

- Flash animation bug fixed
- More characters supported on selection screen (eg. Megaman now works)
- More levels work now as there's more memory free
- Sound effects working
- Partial background music working (ok in player selection, in game, end game, stage completion, etc. No music whilst in cutscenes, main menu, or options)

Some levels in bor/Megaman (and possibly other mods) still don't work as there's simply not enough memory for everything - specially now there's also memory for sound effects, music/sound mixing buffers, dma, etc.

I do have a few tricks left to try and get more memory, but I don't know if i'll have enough frame time available to do them (eg. some items are read on-demand from the smc to free up memory, and trying to read from the smc in chunks small enough to not slow the game down uses up quite a lot of frame time)

Enjoy !

I just tried with the full pak... it just resets the gp32.... no messages.

edit: forget that... it is just firefox being dumb :/

Nice port the game is ok not as great as any of the streets or rage but ok. keep up the good work :)

Just a few things I noticed.

With the full PAK, this is running way faster than the original. Not as ridiculously fast as the first beta..I'd say it's running about twice as fast. This is how I'm able to tell: on the second stage, I compare the steps of Kula's animation to the beat of the song (VNV Nation - Savior). Each step of hers pretty much matches each bass thump of the song. HOWEVER, I actually do like the game faster. It makes it more exciting and definitely less boring, since it doesn't take as long to finish the stages. I'd say dumb it down just a little bit (some of the enemies look ridiculous walking so quickly) but keep it faster than the original.

Also, the only bug I could notice was that, when you kill a boss, instead of falling back with the usual smooth animation all the enemies should exhibit, it seems to skip frames, and they're practically down on the floor right away. Same goes for all of the surround enemies.

I got out-of-memory errors on some levels, but you already mentioned that. I'm sure you'll work it out.

FANTASTIC stuff, though. This is the only game that I've ever played on my GP that made me turn the volume all the way up. Big kudos to you for keeping the original ST. :D

hi, hum an icon will be good if you want Squidge.
I have adapted the original icon of bor...but gp32 version :)

Nice work.

Really nice! Close to perfection!
Only real problem: Now it's too fast... :)
About 1.3 faster. All my sound in the game don't mach with the movements...

Keep the GOD work! ;)

Just in time for easter! (In australia at least) ;)
Just wondering, Is the music streamed from the smc or is the whole song loaded into memory?

Absolutely excellent!! B)
Music and sound effects are terrific
It does play a little fast but I like it that way
This is definately staying on a dedicated SMC along with KOF91
keep up the great work squidge

@Polywaffle - Where abouts in Aus are you?? I'm in Melb

polywaffle posted on Apr 10 2004 at 11:12 PM said:
Just in time for easter! (In australia at least) ;)
Just wondering, Is the music streamed from the smc or is the whole song loaded into memory?
Yes, the music is streamed off the smc after every frame, and when enough has been read to fill a buffer, it moves to the next. When there's enough buffers filled, it starts mixing the music with the sound effects and passes it along to the interrupt driven DMA code.

So, it only needs 16Kb (4 * 4Kb) for any size music file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back