Boo

johncross85

Startled By Midgets
Website
Visit site
I know the GP32 section of the forum doesn't get much going on in it any more but it still seems wrong that the device that started the whole thing off is now relegated to the bottom of the "Other OpenSource Handhelds" section.

So BOO!! to inevitable but sad changes and YEH!! to the GP32 - still may fave handheld of all time!

john

Ditto, BOO +1.

Still going strong, mine get used alot, and that's what counts.

I guess, if we were more active on this forum things could be different.

We would need to find ways to increase activity, for a console which has been pretty well covered, and developement ceased in favour of newer kwality consoles.

Thanks Iorgy77 - that made my day. Glad people enjoy it. Was great fun to write and watch it grow.

I had planned on adding Pitfall 2 support and even multiplayer RF support for 2 player games like Combat but didn't quite get that far.

I've also still have a port of Exophase's most excellent PC-Engine emulator Temper. It's sitting there pretty much done - even has CD support but the SMCs are just too small for most games. The only thing stopping me was that it wasn't quite fullspeed for some games (and i mean like 57FPS no frameskip with sound of course).
Exophase was going to optimize the video renderer for rotated displays but I never heard back from him.

Which reminds me I've also got this ported to A320 Dingux. Which is also just sitting there.

slaanesh said:
Thanks Iorgy77 - that made my day. Glad people enjoy it. Was great fun to write and watch it grow.

Thank you for writing it, it was always odd to me that the GP32 did ST and 800 emulation so well but the 2600 emulators werent that special so vAtari was indeed a welcome suprise.

slaanesh said:
even multiplayer RF support for 2 player games like Combat

hehe, I have one of those RF things and have never used it.

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:

I had planned on adding Pitfall 2 support and even multiplayer RF support for 2 player games like Combat but didn't quite get that far.

I've also still have a port of Exophase's most excellent PC-Engine emulator Temper. It's sitting there pretty much done - even has CD support but the SMCs are just too small for most games. The only thing stopping me was that it wasn't quite fullspeed for some games (and i mean like 57FPS no frameskip with sound of course).
Exophase was going to optimize the video renderer for rotated displays but I never heard back from him.

Which reminds me I've also got this ported to A320 Dingux. Which is also just sitting there.

Oh man, I'd kill for a PC Engine Emulator for the GP32!!! I loved GP Engine but it wasn't quite there and the loss of the source meant it never got updated. It'd be great to have a better PC Engine emu on the Dingoo too but given the choice I'd prefer playing with the GP32's little clicky sticky ;)

john

Temper for GP32 sounds really great :)

RF with Atari VCS2600? Geez, cool idea :D
Too bad I only have one RF pack... but three GP32 ;)

When I heard about the new VCS emu, I downloaded and set it up pronto. It was long over due, and really appreciated. RF would be great and would encourage me to get a couple of RF units (even though they are pricey), as I have none, but my GP32 count is at 11 (with another on the way). Go my OCD.

Temper would be great too, especially with the "little clicky stick".

Actually any development would be great.

Still on the list, great... put GP32 Temper at the top top of the list :)

Thanks in advance for when it does get done.

slaanesh said:

Temper is my favourite emulator.

Looking forward to both your GP32 and Dingux versions....

(and... hint, hint, just ordered a Caanoo, I'm a sucker for 4:3 game consoles...)

I wanna try a new rendering technique on Temper, that I hope I can use for other platforms later. Maybe will implement SGX support too. Hopefully it will, as a side effect, make it straightforward to do rotated output, which will mean better performance for the GP32 version and (finally) a tear-fixed version for Wiz. I don't know if it'll have any positive impact on the Dingoo version - that version is going to be much less optimized since the platform isn't ARM.

Hopefully I'll start a dialogue with Slaanesh on this. I actually got him on AIM for a while and like a big jerk I managed to not be around all those times. So I think it'll be hard to convince him to do that again ;D Nonetheless, I think it'd be good for us to have some comparative benchmarks and find some of the things that hit performance harder. Maybe if things are looking good enough we can even compile Tremor on it and support ISO/OGG like on the other versions. That should allow you to fit most games on a single large SMC. Failing that, you can use ISO/WAV with really low quality WAV (but I need to make sure support for this works.. that's something else that was broken before)

For Caanoo I'll probably get my good buddy Lordus to port it ;D

Exophase said:
I wanna try a new rendering technique on Temper, that I hope I can use for other platforms later. Maybe will implement SGX support too. Hopefully it will, as a side effect, make it straightforward to do rotated output, which will mean better performance for the GP32 version and (finally) a tear-fixed version for Wiz. I don't know if it'll have any positive impact on the Dingoo version - that version is going to be much less optimized since the platform isn't ARM.

Hopefully I'll start a dialogue with Slaanesh on this. I actually got him on AIM for a while and like a big jerk I managed to not be around all those times. So I think it'll be hard to convince him to do that again ;D Nonetheless, I think it'd be good for us to have some comparative benchmarks and find some of the things that hit performance harder. Maybe if things are looking good enough we can even compile Tremor on it and support ISO/OGG like on the other versions. That should allow you to fit most games on a single large SMC. Failing that, you can use ISO/WAV with really low quality WAV (but I need to make sure support for this works.. that's something else that was broken before)

For Caanoo I'll probably get my good buddy Lordus to port it ;D

Sounds fantastic!

Managed to pick up a Supergrafx quite a few years back on trade.
I wish they would have brought that to North America instead of the TG-16 shaped console.

EvilDragon said:
Temper for GP32 sounds really great :)

RF with Atari VCS2600? Geez, cool idea :D
Too bad I only have one RF pack... but three GP32 ;)

I have been waiting for Temper for the gp32 forever. I think I had a chat with slanesh about a year ago and he said he thought it could be done. I'm excited to hear that it's mostly finished. I would love to play temper on my gp32 because that is the system i use when light is not an issue (since I have the non-lit version).
I would also love to see the vatari ported to the gp2x. It's a great emulator and works really well compared to what is available on the gp2x.

Chris

Back