Maybe An Obvious Question Or Not?

I dont care if it cant play 3d games if it could play 2d ps1 games that would be awesome. Also wont it not take as much power to emulate the ps1 on the gp32 than a computer because of the smaller screen?

Whole lotta love posted on Sep 5 2005 at 02:18 PM said:
i think gpx2 will be able to handle ps1 really well, zodiac got 5-10 fps on 2d games and that emu wasn't in devolpment for long, gp2x is way more powerful and should be able to run 2d ps1 very well and 3d well if we have a good dev
No. Just no.

The GP2X is only more powerful than the Zodiac depending on who you ask. If you ask a PSX emu developer, they will most certainly say the Zodiac is more powerful. It has a 3D gfx processor. That's what matters. The GP2X doesn't, and therefore good 3D PSX emulation is literally impossible, no matter how good a developer you have. Same thing with 'very good' 2D PSX emulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
iignotus posted on Sep 5 2005 at 09:41 PM said:
No. Just no.

The GP2X is only more powerful than the Zodiac depending on who you ask. If you ask a PSX emu developer, they will most certainly say the Zodiac is more powerful. It has a 3D gfx processor. That's what matters. The GP2X doesn't, and therefore good 3D PSX emulation is literally impossible, no matter how good a developer you have. Same thing with 'very good' 2D PSX emulation.

The Zodiac does NOT have a 3D gfx processor. In case you are unaware of my background - I personally wrote the first Zodiac FAQ, am one of ZodiacGamer's founders (I even created the site name "ZodiacGamer"), and personally emailed with one of the Zodiac's primary engineers about its hardware.

The Zodiac's ATI Imageon is a 2D ONLY chip. Period.

Any 3D on the Zodiac is software based.

As for PSX emulation, I've played FPSEce on PocketPC's YEARS AGO - they had NO 3D acceleration, and you could play games like Raiden Project and Ridge Racer. No sound, but frame rates were actually smooth and the games very playable. The only thing that sucked were the lousy controls on Pocket PC's.

That just made my day.

If GP2X can pull off 30fps with FF7, I'm gonna save up more money so I can buy like 30 1G SD cards. :D

...or get an ext HD for GP2X :D

Well, keep in mind that was a 400Mhz PocketPC that could OC to over 500Mhz. ;)

So I wouldn't expect the same sort of speed on GPX2. It all depends on how useful that 2nd CPU is, maybe on whether or not both CPU's can be OC'ed etc. If LDchen tries porting his emu for it, maybe we'll find out if it can be playable.

Prophet posted on Sep 6 2005 at 12:53 AM said:
Well, keep in mind that was a 400Mhz PocketPC that could OC to over 500Mhz. ;)

So I wouldn't expect the same sort of speed on GPX2. It all depends on how useful that 2nd CPU is, maybe on whether or not both CPU's can be OC'ed etc. If LDchen tries porting his emu for it, maybe we'll find out if it can be playable.

I think the second procesor can be used as GPU (software GPU, I mean) and the first doing the emulation.

I think a PSX emulator IS possible, at least at semi-decent speeds. The psx emulator some guy ported to the gp32 emulator (he didn't have any gp32) ran about 1-4 fps. But the gp32 emulator is like a 33mhz gp32. It doesn't meant anything. But we still can hope ;)

Prophet posted on Sep 5 2005 at 05:41 PM said:
The Zodiac does NOT have a 3D gfx processor. In case you are unaware of my background - I personally wrote the first Zodiac FAQ, am one of ZodiacGamer's founders (I even created the site name "ZodiacGamer"), and personally emailed with one of the Zodiac's primary engineers about its hardware.

The Zodiac's ATI Imageon is a 2D ONLY chip. Period.

Any 3D on the Zodiac is software based.
Oh wow. That's pretty mind-blowing. I knew it was ATI, and therefore assumed that it was 3D. I'll be damned, lol; thanks for that info.

We had a PSone emmulator on GP32, granted it wasnt anywhere near playable but the fact is if one could be made on the old had where one can be made onthe new hardware, the only real question is how playable it will be.

Frankly I doubt it matters as the attempt to actually run a PSone game on the 2X will be the only challange the developer is interested in conquering. Any playability would only be a pleasant secondary result.

In all likelyhood you MIGHT get something 3D that played at 10 fps with horrible sound and it'd would suck for anyone looking to play crash bandicoot but it would technically still be a working emulator to the developer.

I think ps1 is pretty impossible but just the idea of playing redalert or orignal command and conquer or gta 1 keeps me wishing :| though gta is quite 3d

Well now you have opened me up a little more.....oh.....yeah.

I suppose the possibilities could include the following:-

-Dosbox or dos emulator(eg, Warcraft 2 !!)
-Unreal Tournament(I know this can be software based on linux and runs on a 233mhz processor - anyone please enlighten me!)
-Full speed emulators for all 8-bit\16-bit consoles and computers
-Some form of windows operating system emulation?(WinCE?)

timthepig posted on Sep 6 2005 at 12:25 PM said:

-Unreal Tournament(I know this can be software based on linux and runs on a 233mhz processor - anyone please enlighten me!)
Nobody has the time to do a dos emulator for the PG32 that I know of.
Unreal Tournament, the source is not free, as far as I know, and besides 233mhz on a PC is better than 200mhz + 200mhz on a GP2X as far as I know.

iignotus posted on Sep 5 2005 at 06:35 PM said:
How is anyone going to try to suggest that PS1 emulation is even close to feasible on the GP2X? It doesn't have a 3D co-proc, nor the raw power IMO. Anything that does possibly work is going to suck so much eggs it's not even funny.

Not every PS game uses polygons. Par example, many rpg's use basic sprites.

timthepig posted on Sep 6 2005 at 11:25 AM said:

Warcraft 2 you sould check out statagus, no emulation needed

dosbox or another dosemu could be portable, but slow.. perhaps some 286 games will be playable.
-UnrealTournament, i dont think so, first thing is its not opensource and second the engine is stronger than the Quake 2 engine, we first have to get this running
-Fullspeed all 8 and 16, hmm could be possible
-why windows operating system? WinCE could be possible but is illegal, linux is free and has the same features, if not better.

Cyclops posted on Sep 6 2005 at 02:28 PM said:
timthepig posted on Sep 6 2005 at 11:25 AM said:

Warcraft 2 you sould check out statagus, no emulation needed
I don't think RTS without a touchscreen can be much fun.

@Sonic-NKT: I don't think emulating WinCe would be illegal but I can't see the point either.

Well, I think I'm gonna make my decision.

I am gonna wait until its released - see what software\emulators are released and see the feedback. As its a bit of a battle between PSP and gp2x for me. You say why not both....money

Back