Boingboing Reviews The Wiz

It is funny how the Dingoo fanboiz swoop in instantly trying to promote that. Kind of a short article, but interesting I guess.

Finally, one of the few GP2X/Wiz articles that bothers to mention open development and the existence of homebrew games. :)

Hopefully things will soar once GPH will release their SDK and more people get coding.

My spidey sense is tingling here... Reads like a "bought" review.

Whilst I like my Wiz an independent review would have mentioned the touchscreen being off and screen tearing.

AMADEUS said:

Whilst I like my Wiz an independent review would have mentioned the touchscreen being off and screen tearing.

Maybe they aren't pedantic enough to notice?

Edit: They complement my game. That was very nice of them :) .

Edit2: And Alex.'s which is also very nice of them :).

Last edited by a moderator:
AMADEUS said:

I doubt it was "bought" or there was any kind of chicanery going on. They aren't Fox News.

It may just have been a bit biased based on how much he liked the system. So he minimized the weaknesses and mentioned the strengths. This happens and doesn't mean he was "bought" Just look at Craig's Dingoo vs Wiz comparison video. Did he show games in a dark room that would show the Wiz's better screen contrast? Did he tilt the units to show the Wiz's better viewing angle? How about compare megadrive emus where the Wiz would have crushed the Dingo instead of the other way around where he compared an unfinished Snes 9x port on the Wiz with a finished one on the Dingoo. Since Craig favors the Dingoo he made it look better. If I did a video I would show things that would make the Wiz look better. That really doesn't mean all that much and is mostly just personal biases getting in there. I doubt there is anything nefarious going on in any of these cases.

Heh, you have to be "pedantic" to notice that the touchscreen is off and the screen tears, I guess. They probably just forgot to mention it.

I'm actually kind of surprised and just how positive the response to the Wiz has been, but I think I'm just kind of critical and jaded. An "open" handheld doesn't impress me at this point, we've had things like this for like 6 years now. With the way a lot of the reviews are you'd think Wiz was the first ever gaming handheld to let you run emulators that other people wrote.

Exophase said:
Heh, you have to be "pedantic" to notice that the touchscreen is off and the screen tears, I guess. They probably just forgot to mention it.

I'm actually kind of surprised and just how positive the response to the Wiz has been, but I think I'm just kind of critical and jaded. An "open" handheld doesn't impress me at this point, we've had things like this for like 6 years now. With the way a lot of the reviews are you'd think Wiz was the first ever gaming handheld to let you run emulators that other people wrote.
Well maybe some of these guys just stumbled on these or something. They are now where we were 6 years ago maybe.

Peter R said:
Well you don't have to be pedantic to notice the screen tearing but imo you do have to be to consider it a fatal flaw.
Well some may consider these fatal flaws. Everyone is different. I may hate the blurring and ghosting of a PSP. and someone elsw will hate the tearing. At least the tearing can be worked around, but as of late it still hasn't been eradicated in all stuff.

Can't believe he mistook the strap slot for a kensington lock slot... Why would you need to lock down a ways anyways? lol... just throw it in your pocket and go whatever you need to go hehe

I think this was a bit of a rushed review, but to be fair it may also have been so slight because the reviewer doesn't really have the patience to really push into the Wiz homebrew territory beyond "it runs emus" .. I would have been happier if he'd done more about the homebrew apps and less on the emu thing, but for the commercial reader I suppose its more of a selling point that it emulates all these old systems. Its getting a bit tired, though, always hearing "it emulates everything" .. where are the reviews of the truly original, interesting games.

Come to think of it, where are all the truly original, interesting games, for the Wiz?

torpor said:
Come to think of it, where are all the truly original, interesting games, for the Wiz?

Where are they for any low profile device like this? You're going to have to at least wait longer, if anything. Aren't you making one? :B

Back