Bob Wiki Page Missing

danboid

I couldn't find a breakout box page on the wiki and I'd say its pretty badly needed.

I have a mk.1 gp2x- does ANYTHING work on the bob when connected to a gp2x but with the bob not being powered? I'm mainly asking about the TV out, because if I need to plug the bob in every time I want to use the TV out I might get the TV out cable instead

tv out SHOULD work if its is jsut routed through wich it probably is, in fact anything but usb should work just fine.

I have one of the old dev boards thats pretty similar to the mk1 boards but it's probably not 100% identical. If I connect the bob without power then the gp2x doesn't turn on. I'm not sure if this is the same behaviour on the mk1 gp2x but everything I've read seems to suggest this is the case. I think with a mk2 the bob doesn't need to be powered unless some high power usb stuff is also connected.

woogal posted on Sep 10 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
I have one of the old dev boards thats pretty similar to the mk1 boards but it's probably not 100% identical. If I connect the bob without power then the gp2x doesn't turn on. I'm not sure if this is the same behaviour on the mk1 gp2x but everything I've read seems to suggest this is the case. I think with a mk2 the bob doesn't need to be powered unless some high power usb stuff is also connected.

This almost answers my question if I knew how different the dev board is from the mark 1, although of course I'm really awaiting someone which a mark 1 and a BoB to get a definite answer I suppose.

You say your dev 2x board doesn't turn on if you connect it it to an unpowered bob :( Does this also happen if your 2x is plugged into the mains with the bob still unpowered but plugged in?

Looks like I'll be just getting a TV cable unless I hear differently from a mk1/bob owner soon

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a first edition and a bob. Gp2x won't power up if the bob is connected but unpowered, it just shows the white lines you get with flat batteries.

Just powering the bob the gp2x does nothing.

You can get around this buy sticking a plug into the socket on the bob. The gp2x will then boot with an unpowered bob.
I power both gp2x and bob from a single supply and only had one tiny plug. I soldered to the bob socket and had to cut a trace so the socket appeared to have a plug in at all times. Circled in red in this image.

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bobcutum9.jpg

No idea if it's safe to run unpowered. I always have the bob powered.

Hi Stinch!

Sorry you lost me a bit there :blink:

So are you telling me that if I perform your little hack to the dev BoB I will be able to use its TV out without having to plug any power into the BoB? Have you tried getting TV out through your BoB with no external power to the BoB and gp2x running off AAs?

Does this hack have any downsides i.e would it still function properly when plugged in, powering USB devices etc? If not then I hope they adopt this mod for the final boards (surely they would) which, if I did decide to buy a BoB, is what I'd wait for.

stinch posted on Sep 10 2006 at 10:20 PM said:
I have a first edition and a bob. Gp2x won't power up if the bob is connected but unpowered, it just shows the white lines you get with flat batteries.

Just powering the bob the gp2x does nothing.

You can get around this buy sticking a plug into the socket on the bob. The gp2x will then boot with an unpowered bob.
I power both gp2x and bob from a single supply and only had one tiny plug. I soldered to the bob socket and had to cut a trace so the socket appeared to have a plug in at all times. Circled in red in this image.

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bobcutum9.jpg

No idea if it's safe to run unpowered. I always have the bob powered.

I also bought a bob, but my mk1 with bob behaves slightly different. When I power up the Bob, but not the GP2X the GP2X also shows the white lines you get with flat batteries. Basically I cannot get the GP2X to boot unless I activate the bob and GP2X at exactly the same time, which is not so easy.

I e-mailed gp2x.co.uk about this, but having a 2nd reference (this forum) can't hurt.

I also noticed that the current drawn by the B-Board when the GP2X is not activated is quite high. On itself that's not so important but as the power supplies are obviously linked though the ext-connector cable I was wondering if the problem can be resolved by disconnecting the Vcc in the cable. (So the GP2X will not receive any power from the breakout board when only the BB is activated, and the GP2X power will not be used to power the BB.) Would that cause a problem with the USB-host functionality? I suspect that the "incorrect" voltage (supplied though the bob) causes the reset of the gp2x to fail. I don't see why that would cause the gp2x to fail booting though when no power is supplied to the bob. Of cause this is all speculation as I haven't had the time to properly investigate the problem. Maybe this weekend :)

Does anyone have some thoughts about this?

Regards,
5465756e

I also bought a bob, but my mk1 with bob behaves slightly different. When I power up the Bob, but not the GP2X the GP2X also shows the white lines you get with flat batteries. Basically I cannot get the GP2X to boot unless I activate the bob and GP2X at exactly the same time, which is not so easy.

I e-mailed gp2x.co.uk about this, but having a 2nd reference (this forum) can't hurt.

I also noticed that the current drawn by the B-Board when the GP2X is not activated is quite high. On itself that's not so important but as the power supplies are obviously linked though the ext-connector cable I was wondering if the problem can be resolved by disconnecting the Vcc in the cable. (So the GP2X will not receive any power from the breakout board when only the BB is activated, and the GP2X power will not be used to power the BB.) Would that cause a problem with the USB-host functionality? I suspect that the "incorrect" voltage (supplied though the bob) causes the reset of the gp2x to fail. I don't see why that would cause the gp2x to fail booting though when no power is supplied to the bob. Of cause this is all speculation as I haven't had the time to properly investigate the problem. Maybe this weekend :)

Does anyone have some thoughts about this?

Regards,
5465756e

hardware wise, is there much difference between mkI and mkII? i imagined it was just quality control issues like the joystick etc? i can tell you that using my mkII and the BoB i had two usb joys and tv hooked up without external power to either gp2x or BoB! played a few games and then watched a southpark episode. im guessing the batteries would be discharged faster but i got a t least an hour out of batteries that werent fully charged...

Back