Blu And Flu

mikefr24

Still Fresh
I have been reading for days and am trying to decide if I want to buy a GP32. The homebrew community for this is huge. I have run into a question and after the hours of searching I have not found a 100% answer.

The difference between FLU and BLU..

From the screenshots I have seen the FLU screen seems illuminated like the Gameboy SP screen.
The BLU screen is true backlit like a laptop. Is this correct? If not please let me know.

Also, is there a huge difference between the two? I have a GBA and a GB SP and both screens are just fine. If the GP32 is even remotely similiar I will have no problem.

Thanks,

Mike

It is almost exactly like an sp. The Flu is just a third party mod made by using light implanted in the sides of the screen. You can imagine how it will look. The Blu LOOks like a laptop. The color is less smuggy and allot more High Def.

I'ved owned both - get the BLU. Much better display quality.

Or wait for GPX2 to come out. Even if you don't want to buy a GPX2, GP32 prices will probably drop.

flu=frontlight unit
blu=backligh unit

flu's suffer from dust behind the screen as its a 3rd party mod.
flus have a reflective screen, they are good visible in direct sunlight.

blus are 1st party and dont suffer from dust, however in direct sunlight they tend to be badly visible.

I like the GP32 because it is well supported. The GPX2 will probably be better but it will take a good year before its supported as well as the GP32. I am not sure if I should wait for the GPX2 or not. Its seems to be coming out sometime this fall which is not very long to wait.

no matter if oyu want a gpx2 or not i would strongly sugest to wait till its out, iam gp32 will drop in price when gpx2 is out. and maybe gpx2 will even be backward compatible.

Also i doubt that it takes that long for a good bunchof homebrew as the gpx2 is very simmilar to the gp32 in terms of hardware, wich should make porting existing software easy, also gph are trying to get some emus ready to ship at release.

Don't discourage people about buying GP32's, and don't tell them too much about the new system. We need them to sell our old GP32's to after we get our GPX2's. :lol:

Vimacs posted on Aug 25 2005 at 03:53 AM said:
no matter if oyu want a gpx2 or not i would strongly sugest to wait till its out, iam gp32 will drop in price when gpx2 is out. and maybe gpx2 will even be backward compatible.

Also i doubt that it takes that long for a good bunchof homebrew as the gpx2 is very simmilar to the gp32 in terms of hardware, wich should make porting existing software easy, also gph are trying to get some emus ready to ship at release.

No it has already been said many times that the GPx2 is NOT backwards compatible. So for much homebrew stuff you will still need a GP32 to run it. Not EVERYTHING will be ported, some stuff will never make it to the new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Aug 25 2005 at 01:06 AM said:
No it has already been said many times that the GPx2 is NOT backwards compatible. So for much homebrew stuff you will still need a GP32 to run it. Not EVERYTHING will be ported, some stuff will never make it to the new one.
..Unless the GP32 is successfully interpreted/emulated on the GPx2. ED has said it is being attempted though no one is sure if it'll work or not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna hopefully pick up a GP32 Blu once the GPX2 is released, i already have a Nlu and a Flu, although my Flu ain't working coz of bad flash :(

Back