Blockdude Released !

Thanks GunPei2X :D

Fusion,
Y scrolling doesn't work in that test version, however i think i got the y scrolling fixed and also the calculation for the start (Y) position of the 2nd layer. I tried it in a few (test) levels and it seems to work. The X layer scrolling (with the Y button) doesn't reset the position of the layer like it should at least not in my current test version. Yeah the disapearing layer 2 background are those 8 pixels but the layer can be wider then 320 pixels so 336 pixels is ok :D SDL handles the clipping for me so that's great i don't have to think about that :)

The X start position will depend where the player (and thus viewport) starts for example if the player is all the way to the right the layer will start there, but that shouldn't be a problem since the layer is repeated horizontally :) What if the layer doesn't ge reset horizontally ? i mean if u play a level and the layer starts on the last X Position from the previous level that's how its working now. not sure if it'll still be the same when with reseting X position after scrolling with the Y button.

I'll post a new Exe (only) when i got the X position thingie worked out

Ok. :)
I meant Y-BUTTON scrolling, sorry. ^^ I always forget to use this feature, I scroll with the player icon.
Yes, I noticed, that the 2. layer is relative to the player start position and not relative to the level corners. If it's working, that's no problem. But I thought that some things could be easier with level (edge)alighment, especially Y scrolling can't work this way because the layer has to be aligned on bottom even when player starts on high level positions, but of course I have no clue.

Here, my last layer2 for you to testing:

I think i got it all working now :D even the Y Scrolling and resetting it to the correct position. It's all calculated based on the player position and the viewport (level) limits. It was a pain in the ass to get it working doh hehe :)

here's a new exe (only) http://www.willemssoft.be/misc/blockdudetestFusion.zip to test it out :)

edit:
just tested the new layer2 image and it works and looks just perfect ! :D

Perfect! :) Looks really exactly like in my dreams. ^^
Sorry if my Ideas gave you pain in the ass, doesn't happen again. :lol: It makes really fun just to scroll through the levels, I hope soemone will build big levels for the Game. And maybe we find another person who do a skin for the game. :) There could be many interesting skins with this new effect included. It's fascinating how in such a little game various simple graphic effects here and there can improve the visual experience. I hope other people like this to and I'm not the only parallax-fetishist. :lol:

And here is my improved player sprite:

Hey, I know someone can do better, but if anyone needs an icon, use this:
blockdude.png

the reason the backround is black is because I don't know how to get it transparent...

haha don't be sorry fusion power it's just an expression, i ment that i had a lot of trouble getting it done :)
btw if your skin is finished could u upload the full skin again so that i have all of it in one package ? just to be sure that i got all the files correctly before i make a new release ! I also found another small bug, it's possible to create levels with no "door" / exit in them that shouldn't be allawed i never noticed it so i'll fix that as well !.

Hey shifty thanks for the icon, the new release (availible on the archive) has an icon included now but it's just taken from a screenshot almost like yours :) I'll Make another new release when i fix the problem described above, and when i have fusion powers new (complete) skin. I'll make a new post in the news section as well then (didn't do that with the previous update and tell about all the updates that are in it)

joyrider said:
btw if your skin is finished could u upload the full skin again so that i have all of it in one package ? just to be sure that i got all the files correctly before i make a new release !
Exactly this was my plan to! :) Here is my updated and polished final Skin plus my 3 Testlevel just for you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/29248878/FP_Tech_1.2.zip.html

Oh, by the way, in the beta-Blockdude version, the Ti-83 skin has my sweet little Layer 2 to. :lol: For next official release, there should be the blank layer file included. ;) Of course it would be the easiest if no layer-file is needed in the skin who don't use the 2. layer.

And to come back to my earthtile idea, I spoke about some kind of placeholder for another gfx file. The current earth tile could be stay and keep his visual appearence. But if the skin includes another gfx. File, all the solid Earth tiles are replaced by this graphic. This could be a 320x240 graphic or even bigger or smaller, doesn't matter because it would only visible on all the places where the solid earth-tiles placed (and the standard looking solid earth tiles are invisible now of course) For example your first level would take benefit, there are many equal earth tiles and with the new method you could replace them with another "skin", even bigger and with more different tiles included. Your 2. Level can't benefit from this because there are no solid earth tiles. ;)

Well ,it's just an Idea, I don't need this but someone has mentioned all the same looking earthtiles here.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah yeah i see what you mean but the thing is i could only do that if i used an array of some sort that keeps the a tile nr thing is my array holds class instances, each item in the array is an instance of a class CWorldpart. and i just call the draw function in each of the Cworldparts instances (/tiles). It's the way i designed the engine and i'm affraid it's not easy to hack that in well it is possible but it wouldn't look good codewise and i don't like messing around with that. But it is a good idea though. I could have done that with waternet since i didn't use the same system there but just an array of int's actually :)

Thanks for mentioning the layer2 with ti83 skin i had not noticed it !

so i'll just fix that level editor error and release it. Then it's back to blips programming hmm actually blips is finished lol just waiting for music :)

joyrider said:
prairiefire said:
Okay, two days spent on it now.. no progress. I think Level 9 is technically impossible :D
here i don't want to spoil your fun but i don't want you to get frustrated either so i uploaded the level 9 solution to youtube. (i know all the solutions :D). How about i realease a new solution monthly or sumthing or on (popular) request ?

anyway here's the solution : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLyWkbjRwb8

Thanks Joyrider! :D I've been away for a few days and will try another go. it's good to know that the solution is just around the corner when i inevitably fail. <_<

As for the idea of releasing solutions, I think it would help, but I think only on popular request.. make us work for it!

Shifty said:
Hey, I know someone can do better, but if anyone needs an icon, use this:
blockdude.png

the reason the backround is black is because I don't know how to get it transparent...
what program? in photoshop you just save it as a png but with no background, ie whatever you don't draw on gets preserved as being transparent. make sure to turn on transparency and in your case you'd probably want to turn off the matte color.

note that with indexed color images it's a little trickier. work in rgb mode and make sure the bottom layer isn't locked (it will say "background" if this is the case, just double click on it to make it a regular layer).

hope that makes sense. i'm sure it's similar in the gimp. if you don't draw somewhere and save as png, default behavior should be to make that transparent.

corel? paint shop pro? nooooo, it's a pirate's life for me. until i have a spare 1k kicking around for design software, which is crazy but whatever, it's not gonna be for a while. just learn photoshop. freehand might be cool, dunno...xara is so 1995 (although i do have a lot of respect for the company). inkscape, pretty fun, but useless for what you're doing.

RGB colors? Lol, not for such an Icon. For example all my skin graphics are 256 colored png's - save alot of kb's. Indexed colors Rule! :) If you want to have transparency, you just add the "enable transparency" option (in Photoshop) to the color palette. So every transparent stays transparent. use the magic wand to seperate the sprite from the background, save the pic as indexed png - done. Nothing is more easy.
I'm sure this works in every gfx program as easy as in Photoshop.

Back