Bill Gates Wants To Buy Nintendo

I agree that it isn't worth it too. That's why I'd never buy it. Doesn't make them evil however.

That's far from the only reason Nintendo is evil. You can even go back to when they thought Japanese RPGs were too "complex" for the average American and they had to "dumb them down".

generalnmx posted on Aug 4 2004 at 11:14 PM said:
I agree that it isn't worth it too. That's why I'd never buy it. Doesn't make them evil however.

That's far from the only reason Nintendo is evil. You can even go back to when they thought Japanese RPGs were too "complex" for the average American and they had to "dumb them down".
evil... no, stupid... yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx posted on Aug 4 2004 at 11:14 PM said:

I agree with Pink, it's crazy but hardly evil.

Nintendo deliver the world's best games, and whatever anyone says, they MADE the game industry. Atari etc. before them had a dream, Nintendo expanded upon it and made it a reality.

I think comparing Nintendo and Atari is little wrong considering they started out in different eras and in different markets (US and Japan).

And yes, a lot of this blind hate for MS is kind of stupid. And I'd have to say, Windows did launch the PC to it's current stance due to creating an actual standard platform for companies to develop for, especially in the game industry.

I agree with Pink, it's crazy but hardly evil.

Nintendo deliver the world's best games, and whatever anyone says, they MADE the game industry. Atari etc. before them had a dream, Nintendo expanded upon it and made it a reality.

And whatever people say, Microsoft made the Home PC industry...just because they have done great things in the past doesn't mean they still aren't evil. In fact, it was these great things which gave them the power to do such evil things.

Although I admit Nintendo isn't nearly as evil as Microsoft, I still find Nintendo enough evil that I don't think being a subsidiary of Microsoft will make Nintendo anymore evil. Take a look at some of Microsoft's other subsidiaries (Apple not included), like the one that made Asheron's Call. Now that was actually a fun MMORPG with some innovative ideas. Of course the company that produced it was evil (nearly all corporations are at least a little evil in my mind), but not nearly as evil as their benefactor.

So stealing other companies/peoples code and making it out to be your own is not evil, Locking out the competition is not evil.

If that isn`t, Then what is.

Standards, Microsoft... Yeah right. Dos had standards ? That`s why you could always guarantee that a game would work with your sound card or graphics card in dos.... About 50% of the time. Now thats standards.

Trooper

I very much doubt a Japanese company that has been running for hundreds of years would submit to a corporate American giant that has been running for twenty. You'd be hard pressed to find something the Japanese would hate more.

I couldnt agree more. Besides Nintendo aren't in trouble enough to need to be bought, they can still compete. And anyway Microsoft are not contributing towards the same kind of industry climate as there was 10 years ago. Microsoft ship their console as Sony do, to be part of a home entertainment centre...you have to admit that a lot of people who own 1 or 2 games go straight for Xbox or PS2 just because its now a recognisable brand in home entertainment in general. Sega on the other hand...well, I only need one reason to visit my local arcade and thats...Outrun 2.............so goooooooooooooddddd, and before anyone says, yes I am old enough to of played the original when it came out all those years ago B)

This thread is rather full of blatant name calling of companies and crazy fanboy style hate. I am not the biggest fan of Microsoft, but it is by no means the anti-christ. It has done a lot for the computer world, just like every single thing anyone defended or attacked in this thread has done for it's field.

Nintendo has done great things, has some of the best games out there. Sega, while not doing so well in the hardware field, has also done some great games, that are also real innovative. Mac has... well, actually, to be honest, I am not the biggest Mac user, so even though I m sure it has had a positive effect on things, I am not sure exactly what it is. Linux is another one of these, even though it wasn't mentioned.

Oh, and Nintendo, or Microsoft, or whatever the company isn't forcing you to buy there games. A lot of people I know happily payed the cash to relive old memories on the go with those silly GBA NES remakes.

.....Well no one is denying that microsoft did good for the ccomputer world, nor is anyone denying that nintendo made great games.

Where am i going with this.......thats all i will say

generalnmx posted on Aug 4 2004 at 10:14 PM said:

I remember when Nintendo was the no. 1 console (NES) they would actually dictate how stores were layed out. They demanded that NES stuff be in the best spots and if you didn't comply they threatened to pull their games from your store. They also started that annoying "street date" crap where even if a store got a game early they weren't allowed to sell it until Nintendo said so. They were also sons of bitches to developers with high licencing fees too. So to all of the Nintendo fanbois out there, Nintendo are no angels either.

dr_other posted on Aug 7 2004 at 02:37 AM said:
Oh, and Nintendo, or Microsoft, or whatever the company isn't forcing you to buy there games. A lot of people I know happily payed the cash to relive old memories on the go with those silly GBA NES remakes.
Those are a ripoff. they would be ok if there were like 5 or more games on one cart, but one for $20.00 no way.

Oh I am not saying they aren't a rip off. I am just saying that some people like them, and some people don't mind paying the bucks for convenience or a made cart and memories. I wouldn't buy one..

Oh and Swiss, I know they aren't denying it. But they are talking against the companies. I am sure that the companies are all rather mean spirited, competitive, the works, but I am just going by all they have done, not all they have done stupidly.

The biggest example of Nintendo's evilness was in the past when if a developer wanted to make a game for the NES they weren't allowed to make games for competing consoles. Thats just as bad as anything Microsoft did. What about when they got cought out and fined for price fixing? Nintendo aren't saints and neither are Microsoft.

davey g posted on Aug 8 2004 at 02:19 PM said:
The biggest example of Nintendo's evilness was in the past when if a developer wanted to make a game for the NES they weren't allowed to make games for competing consoles. Thats just as bad as anything Microsoft did. What about when they got cought out and fined for price fixing? Nintendo aren't saints and neither are Microsoft.
agreed, this is business, it's all about money.

That was Puff Daddy. If you're going to post a completely useless reply that adds nothing to the discussion, at least get it correct.

Back