BIG NEWS FOR THIEF FANS!

MrLemonyFresh

[mod edit - tantalising as it is, it's not legal so it can't be linked to from these boards.]

You can view the original news and download the source code files there.

FANTASTIC! what luck!

Someone PLEASE port this!!

EDIT: fixed the link, it's now pointing to the right page number :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, that made my year

now we'll only need doom3 source, and some crazy port/optimisation of the darkmod...

g'day fellow darkmod fan :D I'm wondering whether TDM will get less love now that the thief 2 source is out :eek: ..

g'day fellow darkmod fan :D I'm wondering whether TDM will get less love now that the thief 2 source is out :eek: ..

not, sure, TDM is really great, it almost feel like thief2, but better suited to today's computer, it's exactly what thief3 should have been... in my opinion the only thing that don't make thief1&2 completly obsolet with TDM is the years of play worth of FM content...

SYSTEM SHOCK 2 DO I READ????

2l8xely.jpg

Edit: Download doesn't seem to be working. Please say someone got it in time :(

Edit: Download doesn't seem to be working. Please say someone got it in time :(
Downloaded it just now.

According to the linked thread the code is incomplete though. Also, I would be very careful about releasing anything based on this as you're very likely to see a lawsuit heading your way.

Downloaded it just now.

According to the linked thread the code is incomplete though. Also, I would be very careful about releasing anything based on this as you're very likely to see a lawsuit heading your way.

rather than getting illegal binary compiled with that it would be much better if volca could use theses to improve his own implementation (ie not using code, but reading, understanding it, and spawning is own...)

Downloaded it just now.

It's working for me now. I wish I had a Pandora and knew how to port, even if I couldn't release it :lol:

rather than getting illegal binary compiled with that it would be much better if volca could use theses to improve his own implementation (ie not using code, but reading, understanding it, and spawning is own...)
That's still murky water, as it is likely for him to base his implementation on the original code they can still charge him for violating copyright (which naturally has to be tested in court).

That's still murky water, as it is likely for him to base his implementation on the original code they can still charge him for violating copyright (which naturally has to be tested in court).

Murky? It's downright black & white. Leaked code does NOT equal legal released code. It's Piracy and anyone who touches it is essentially giving this community a black eye.

From a general public perspective there is a fine line between emulators and piracy. The Pandora relies on making a clear case for emulation being a legitimate use method for rightful use of purchased media/materials.

Personally I'd like to see a mod step up, state the obvious and lock or delete this thread.

Murky? It's downright black & white. Leaked code does NOT equal legal released code.
Naturally not. I was referring to this part in particular:

(ie not using code, but reading, understanding it, and spawning is own...)
That's very likely to put the open source implementation of the engine at risk as copyright infringement is VERY likely in this scenario even if the original code is not directly used.

Personally I'd like to see a mod step up, state the obvious and lock or delete this thread.
Agreed.

I think at this point the developers should just release the code unless they plan to make money on legal battles rather than future games. Thief 2 is 10 years old anyway and wasn't even cutting edge graphics at the time, just release the code Looking Glass Studios.

Funny how there were a couple of petitions (found quite a few recently from google) and 'woops' source code was leaked? Though I've not really read into it :p

I think at this point the developers should just release the code
A company can't just dump the source code on the net and say "here, it's open source now", they have a lot of legal concerns they need to wade through before doing that. Things like whether they actually own the code and have the right to release it: they may have purchased a physics engine, for example, which they're allowed to code around but the license doesn't allow releasing the physics engine, so to go open source they would have to pull out all this physics code and replace it with "insert your own physics engine here". Privacy concerns as well: developers may occasionally put comments like "This code is kind of fragile. If you need to change it, call John at x1234", and now you're releasing someone's name and extension number to the public, which is very bad, so those comments need to be removed.

I'm sure there are other considerations I'm not thinking of. Point is it is not a free and easy thing to release source code, it takes time and money to make sure you're not setting yourself up for a lawsuit when you release source code.

A company can't just dump the source code on the net and say "here, it's open source now", they have a lot of legal concerns they need to wade through before doing that. Things like whether they actually own the code and have the right to release it: they may have purchased a physics engine, for example, which they're allowed to code around but the license doesn't allow releasing the physics engine, so to go open source they would have to pull out all this physics code and replace it with "insert your own physics engine here". Privacy concerns as well: developers may occasionally put comments like "This code is kind of fragile. If you need to change it, call John at x1234", and now you're releasing someone's name and extension number to the public, which is very bad, so those comments need to be removed.

I'm sure there are other considerations I'm not thinking of. Point is it is not a free and easy thing to release source code, it takes time and money to make sure you're not setting yourself up for a lawsuit when you release source code.
Yes, I remember what a hassle it was for id to release Quake III's code, I know it is a process and I didn't say 'release the code tomorrow' I just said release the code. If they can't they can't, oh well. If they can though they might as well since it is out anyway.

Well, they don't really exist anymore, so that probably won't happen. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Glass_Studios
So Eidos owns the rights now? Oh well, whoever owns it should work on releasing the code. If it is a huge company that owns it I fear it will be sued to sue people now, maybe used to make people examples of incorporating leaked code.

If any court cases comes about because of this I would probably think it was leaked on purpose for this reason.

According to wikipedia, Square Enix owns Eidos through Square Enix Europe. Seems like quite a tree.

Well that is it then, we'll never see the code officially released. I have no faith in Square-Enix ever releasing anything but I wouldn't put it past an old school company to sue the pants off of anyone they can. This sucks.

Back