Release (beta) spi.snes 0.6.0

I've only managed to give this a little bit of treating so far but I can't get Yoshi's island to run at all so far. Also is it possible to set default screen preferences for all games? I'm never a fan of stretched games.

I had a crash on the first run at the end of the scan for roms... no big deal trough, it worked as expected on the next run, without rescanning the folder...great work!
When I first scanned the roms, the PND crashed afterwards and when I got back to the Pandora desktop it was like the machine response was stuttering every second or two. A full reboot seemed to fix matters though
Do you guys have CC model Pandori? Did you see sebt3's warning that they may need a swap file on initial scanning?

WARNINGs: On CC model, 1st run requiere some swap (might also requiere swap for later runs if you have too much games)

I've tried that but when I select another rom it defaults back to the other settings. I've moved my roms back to my fat32 card, maybe that'll help (didn't work for Yoshi's island though)

Mine is a 1gig Pandora, no swap file activated

I've only managed to give this a little bit of treating so far but I can't get Yoshi's island to run at all so far. Also is it possible to set default screen preferences for all games? I'm never a fan of stretched games.

I had a crash on the first run at the end of the scan for roms... no big deal trough, it worked as expected on the next run, without rescanning the folder...great work!
When I first scanned the roms, the PND crashed afterwards and when I got back to the Pandora desktop it was like the machine response was stuttering every second or two. A full reboot seemed to fix matters though
Do you guys have CC model Pandori? Did you see sebt3's warning that they may need a swap file on initial scanning?

WARNINGs: On CC model, 1st run requiere some swap (might also requiere swap for later runs if you have too much games)
nope, Ghz model

edit: I had 500 or so roms by the way...

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: I had 500 or so roms by the way...
500 roms is not the problem as some of my testers have scanned over 900 roms. Beside as next start had bring you directly to the menu, the scan was finished when the crash happened.Finally as you've already restarted it the crash log is gone.

doh, sorry about the log...

yes, the scan did reach it's end, but after I had just the application background image and nothing else, no reaction to any button either...

After a bit more time with this this morning, the crashes am to have stopped, I guess I wasn't leaving the database create itself fully (even though all activity lights had stopped), but at least the emulator is worthing better. There's games that are working that didn't on previous emulators (eg Zool), games where screen tearing is no longer apparent (Spindizzy Worlds), but still no luck getting Yoshi's Island to run

There's games that are working that didn't on previous emulators (eg Zool), games where screen tearing is no longer apparent (Spindizzy Worlds), but still no luck getting Yoshi's Island to run
your results are good and as expected. I managed to reproduce the black screen on yoshi island. I'll try to fix this

Wow it seems to work great with TV-Out and Qjoypad. Most games ran perfectly, but Secret of Mana was dropping a lot of frames. Seemed to get a little better when I put the CPU up to 1.2 GHz. The filters are greatly appreciated and the optimized ones seem to not hinder performance much at all.

Don't open/close the lid while it is running or you will get a crash, but it seems fine booting into the emulator with the lid already closed.

Personal preference here, but when using an external controller, it is desirable to have all the menus accessible from one button, for example simply [escape] to a main menu versus [escape] for game switching and [m] for options/save. This way I only have to dedicate one joypad button to bring up the menu. This isn't an issue when playing directly on the Pandora, as there are all the buttons you could want. Not a big deal, though, as I can easily switch around my mapping to accommodate the [m] button as well.

Thanks again for this! I am eager to see the features you add. Would it require double effort to include a snes9x 1.43 backend as an option? I would be interested to see if that were able to increase speed on Secret of Mana.

Wow it seems to work great with TV-Out and Qjoypad.
Thanks for reporting back
Most games ran perfectly, but Secret of Mana was dropping a lot of frames.
hum ? I "deeply" tested SOM and never got any dropped frames. Where/when does it happen ?
Seemed to get a little better when I put the CPU up to 1.2 GHz. The filters are greatly appreciated and the optimized ones seem to not hinder performance much at all.
Indeed, M-HT filters are impressive performances wise. I for one use scale3x (and let the GPU downscale that a little). That's the best filtering solution. See the rest as demo for a pyra version :p
Don't open/close the lid while it is running or you will get a crash, but it seems fine booting into the emulator with the lid already closed.
this is inherent to every GLES apps sadly. I cant do anything for this.
Personal preference here, but when using an external controller, it is desirable to have all the menus accessible from one button, for example simply [escape] to a main menu versus [escape] for game switching and [m] for options/save.
I know my current key bidding suck. I'm pretty much looking for advices here.
Would it require double effort to include a snes9x 1.43 backend as an option? I would be interested to see if that were able to increase speed on Secret of Mana.
I evauated this already. Code wise the 2 are very different. Having a 1.43 compatible binary would be a huge pain. And certainly not an initial focus

SoM US was showing 50 fps when indoors and 30-40 fps outdoors and in combat. It is possible that bluetooth & qjoypad & tv out is taking up cpu time?

Is it just the front end that needs more the 256MB RAM? or the emulator itself.

Either way - what hell is it doing to need all that RAM? Genuinely baffled.

Seems nice though, but the older emulators seem to be a better option if I've not got a swapfile enabled.

D.

Hmm... I can certainly try a 50 Hz version, but I wonder if the save file can transfer.

Either way - what hell is it doing to need all that RAM? Genuinely baffled.

Seems nice though, but the older emulators seem to be a better option if I've not got a swapfile enabled.

D.

I think it's just the initial scanning of the roms that need that much memory. Once it scanned the first time, I never see this emulator peak the total memory usage over 145MBs and that is with XFCE4 running and htop via remote SSH  log in, that is even when running games.

EDIT: Clarified my sentence.

about 1600 screenshots uncompressed in memory :p (512*512*1600 is a huge hit i've to say...)The emulator itself doesnt need that much.

But that's only for initial run when it open the whole database. later ruun, it will only use the copy it made in your user database. (but sure if you have these 1600 games, this memory will be used all the time) I've to say my own collection is rather limited...

I have a about 800 ROMs, so that's not so bad. Lovely front end, really. Just a shock, that's all :)

D.

What are the two numbers at the top of the screen? The one at the left holds at 60, but in SoM, the number on the right fluctuates a lot.

From what I can tell, the US version runs full speed without frame drop just on the Pandora, but slows down once the controller and TV-Out are introduced.

Back