Release [Beta] Skunks

Code:
Error: could not open 'replays/rep1' (check the permissions)

replays/rep1 is a 20 byte long text file. Others are much larger and store car/track selection and float numbers.

Code:
$ cat replays/rep1
./cars/
./tracks/
$

In skunks.sh, it's not enough to include

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib

You have to set the full path to make sk-gl run and produce the replay error.

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/utmp/skunks/lib

replays/rep1 is a 20 byte long text file. Others are much larger and store car/track selection and float numbers.

$ cat replays/rep1
./cars/
./tracks/
$

In skunks.sh, it's not enough to include

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib

You have to set the full path to make sk-gl run and produce the replay error.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/utmp/skunks/lib
Sorry I don't quite follow you.

rep1 is created when you run the game, it stores the data for the replay. The included rep1 is just some garbage file [game played and quited fast], but anyone can read or write it (chmod 755).

The replay error is not related to sk-gl but rep-gl. Replays are handled by a separate binary.

If you are able to play, drive around and rep1 will be overwriten with new data.

Thanks for looking into this.

I selected car1 and track1 from menu and when I click on 'Go for a ride!' it does nothing just returns to the main menu.

From the command line

$ ./sk-gl cars/car1 tracks/track1
$

Another bug when starting rep-gl from command line.

$ ./rep-gl replays/rep3
EGL Opening X11 display
EGL Making Current
Segmentation fault
$

Maybe it's EGL -related?

Last edited by a moderator:
I selected car1 and track1 from menu and when I click on 'Go for a ride!' it does nothing just returns to the main menu.

From the command line

$ ./sk-gl cars/car1 tracks/track1
$
You should not bring folder in the PND that will be written inside in the future. You should, in the Startup script,  verify if the folder exist, create the folder if it doesn't and if you need put some files (untar for example) if you want some files inside. This is to avoid son R/O problem when running on FAT32.

Ok. So the problem is how the folders are included in the pnd? I'll change that and upload a new vesion.
Yes, I don't know if I was very clear on my explanation of the problem & solution (it doesn't look very clear when I read my text in fact :( )

But, for the "replay" folder, you should not include it in the PND. Insteed, creat a tar of, for example with a

tar cfz replays.tar.gz replays/

then, in your skunks.sh, near the beggining, you do some like

if [ ! -e replays ]
then
mkdir replays
tar xzf replays.tar.gz
fi

And it should work. You will have R/W permission on the folder, and you can bring some demo files...

Thanks ptitSeb. I have incorrectly included the folders that should be only within ./backup in ./ and permissions where wrong as dmarschal said. I"ll upload one more version and if that fails I'll take your route for fix it.

Starting sk-gl from command line.

EGL Making Current
Segmentation fault

The same goes for rep-gl.
I don't really know what to do. I can't reproduce the problem. But there are things we can try.

You can try erasing /skunks from appdata (and /mnt/utmp, if there is something to erase).

You can try rebooting your pandora.

Your appdata resides on a Fat32 or a linux filesystem (ext2, ext3...)?

Your Pandora is a classic, rebirth or 1ghz?

Don't worry, we will make it work.

Oh boy, I godda try this. I was just wondering which 3d engine we had on the Pandora that could support a Trackmania style game.

Good to hear that finally runs, bad that doesn't work on the Rebirth pandora. I will have to wait to february to work on my Rebirth to fix that, perhaps view distance is set too far. Will upload to the repo when this is fixed. 

To quit the game just use escape, Fn+Q.

I tried it and it seems quite nice. Only had a very quick look though.

I'd still like to try it with NUBs for steering ... anyway the controls probably need some more tweaking ;-)

Does it come with a track-editor? Is there an AI?

I tried it and it seems quite nice. Only had a very quick look though.

I'd still like to try it with NUBs for steering ... anyway the controls probably need some more tweaking ;-)

Does it come with a track-editor? Is there an AI?
Thanks!

I'm totally open to suggestions on controls or any other aspects. The game is not finished, its more like an interactive tech demo (or a playground). Right now I'm working on moving most of the render operations to GLES (lighting and fog were made in software, among other things).

I haven't made new tracks or cars but I have edited track12. The vila 2 and 4 blocks seem to be demanding to render, changing those lines to house 1 and 2 ease the rendering. For the tracks the file have some data on lighting and backgrounds, then a list of blocks loaded from the data folder and a list of blocks types and a bunch of coordinates that I haven't looked into yet (I guess there should be xyz coordinates among other things).

I had some time to test this on my rebirth pandora. It crashed with a segfault. After patiently looking at all the lib's needed and their symlinks, I think the problem was including too many libraries. Now the pnd only contains the ones not included in the firmware or those with higher versions on codeblocks. Skunks is running now on my 1GHz and my rebirth pandoras  :D .

Back