Release [Beta] Dream Chess

I tried it yesterday, and as every stupid user does: did not read the instructions, so I kept scratching the stylus over the display and wondered why nothing happens :p

I think mouse (i.e. touchscreen) controls would be a nice addition, but the current controls work just fine (and probably better). I lost the first game pretty quickly on the normal difficulty setting, but I haven't played chess in years and wasn't trying very hard. I won on the lower setting with some rather agressive tactics. So I guess the AI should be suitable for a wide range of players.

I like the game very much, and it feels like it was made for the Pandora (and I always wanted to have a fancy looking chess-program with a difficulty-level that leaves me a good chance to win in my pocket)  ^_^

I tried it yesterday, and as every stupid user does: did not read the instructions, so I kept scratching the stylus over the display and wondered why nothing happens :p

I think mouse (i.e. touchscreen) controls would be a nice addition, but the current controls work just fine (and probably better). I lost the first game pretty quickly on the normal difficulty setting, but I haven't played chess in years and wasn't trying very hard. I won on the lower setting with some rather agressive tactics. So I guess the AI should be suitable for a wide range of players.

I like the game very much, and it feels like it was made for the Pandora (and I always wanted to have a fancy looking chess-program with a difficulty-level that leaves me a good chance to win in my pocket)  ^_^
Thanks F_Slim! Will look into adapting the touch controls, is a good idea for the playing part. I'm not really a chess player so my wife's uncle is doing the testing on the engines. So far he can beat Dreamer but even doing very meritorious games he can't win Crafty yet. Whenever you are up for tougher challenge give Crafty a shot.

Thanks for the update. I've not had chance to try it yet though

Just given it a go, and it's all working here. One question: how did you get the funky angle shot used in the screenshots?

I've hit a couple of niggles in using it, but they're more to do with the way it's been designed or at least implemented. I guess those issues should go to those at dreamchess.org.

^ Post your niggles here, if it isn't really hard to fix maybe I can give it a shot (or any other motivated forum member). For rotating the board hold Y (the button, not the key) and use the dpad to rotate the board.

Thanks - Y button rotation works fine. Are there any zoom controls should you want to play overhead with the board on the diagonal for some strange reason?

Okay, my only niggles are:

1. When I inevitably lost my first game, it wasn't obvious what to do next. I get that it doesn't just drop you back to the menu and lets you review the game in detail, so I eventually assumed that I was just meant to quit that game. Just changing 'quit' to 'finish' once checkmate is achieved might be all that's needed.

2. I expected the cursor to turn red when you selected an invalid move, but instead it just ignores your button press. I get the game expects you to know what you're doing, and isn't for absolute beginners, but it would just be a bit nicer if it indicated better when you were trying to do something wrong.

Back