Release [Beta] Dream Chess

Is DreamChess going to be added to the Repo? Look forward to giving this a whirl, though I am pretty bad at chess
I wanted to see how it worked for Farox since he had a crash. The repo seems to be down (at least form my house and work networks). As soon as I can use the repo it will be uploaded ;)  .

ok i got the music files for Dream Chess was wondering where to put them, appdata folder? they already come in a folder called music, should i keep them in this? i've tried a little experimentation but with little success. 

Thanks for the port! Works fine here. The starting board is horrible though. Note to self: Must look for other boards.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Why isn't it in "board games" but "simulation"?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i got the music files for Dream Chess was wondering where to put them, appdata folder? they already come in a folder called music, should i keep them in this? i've tried a little experimentation but with little success. 
I just checked, the folder to the .ogg files is: appdata/dreamchess/share/dreamchess/.dreamchess/music/matt_smith.

Thanks for the port! Works fine here. The starting board is horrible though. Note to self: Must look for other boards.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Why isn't it in "board games" but "simulation"?
Thanks A2000! The staring board is indeed unorthodox, but luckily as you said, it can be changed. The sub category I've chosen was "strategy game" which goes into the "Simulation and Strategy" menu. I can change the sub-cat to "Board games" if it is more appropriate.

New version. Some minor fixes and additions. Please test and report any issues!

Changes in 0.0.0.3 [Appdata folder deletion needed]:

*New engine, Crafty 23.0. Just replace dreamer for crafty in dreamchess configuration (there are an openings book and a config file in /appdata/dreamchess/bin for fine tuning Crafty). Crafty was developed by Dr. Robert M. Hyatt with contributions from others devs too.
*Default board changed to "Classic Wooden".
*Sub-category changed to BoardGame.

Thanks for again for this - I've not tried to play chess in a long while (I appear to be much worse than I remember but I at least I remember the basic rules.) but this is a very nice chee program - very pretty :)

Finally got around to playing with this. It won't save my config. So it always reverts back to the 3D board :(

Finally got around to playing with this. It won't save my config. So it always reverts back to the 3D board :(
Ok, it's saving the configuration correctly here. Never the less I can see the game creating several .dreamchess folders recursively and there should be only one. Have to fix that. Thanks for testing and reporting :)

Edit: I think I got it, tonight will post a test version here.

New version. You will need to delete the appdata folder.

• (hopefully) Fixed the weird settings saving behavior.
  • Removed mouse cursor.
The music folder now is: appdata/dreamchess/share/.dreamchess/music/matt_smith

Please test and report any issues ^_^ .

^ Thanks for spotting that, missed two libraries in the package. Here´s another one to try, sorry for the inconvenience.

Back