Best system shmups!

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I was looking at some Dreamcast shmups on youtube and came across a Sega Genesis game called Musha.
It's supposed to be ace and certainly looks like it too.
I don't seem to play anything else other than shmups nowadays and they are damn compulsive. You can jump right in and play for 20 minute sessions which often lead to an hour and a half.

What shmups would ye recommend for any system? In particular systems that the Pyra will emulate, Dreamcast, Genesis, PC Engine, Psp, Nintendo DS...

Iv'e just bought a slew of shmups for my Dreamcast recently.

Musha follow-up on mega cd is pretty cool too.
Of course thunderforce 2/3/4 on megadrive.
Also aero blasters on multiple platforms.

Parodius is possibly the best game in the Gradius series, I've only played the PC Engine version so far, but it was also ported to at least the X68000, NES and SNES which the Pandora should also handle fine.

Yeah I absolutely love the gradius games, and shmups generally.

Side Arms
Salamander
Einhander... if not played it, check it out
Sturmwind
UN Squadron
Gynoug / Wings of Wor
Forgotten Worlds / Lost Worlds
Hellfire
Atomic Robo Kid
Zero Wing

Theres a game or series of, called Burunyanman.
"Let's Go! Burunyanman" was the one I see, I think it was Metal Jesus and Reggie showing it on YouTube in a PSP gems video.
Anyway that looks amazing and caught my eye, bit looking like Parodius, I actually want to buy it since seeing it.
I'd say check that game out too... not your average looking bullet hell but does look good

I also enjoy a nice vertical bullet hell game too, pretty much every one I've played I've enjoyed

Last edited:
Yes R-Type is a classic too

Super Aleste
Sol Deace
Xenon

Dont to forget the Gradius on Original Gameboy and GBA
This was one of my faforet games when i got my original Gameboy 20 Jeahrs ago..
(Whit Mario Land and Turtles Fall of the Footclan)..
Even if i ditnt got it beyont the third level it was a cool game back then

R-Type(Arcade) is one of my favs, and possibly my number one choice due to my play time over the years. Galaga(Arcade) is another viable option for my top spot, with Tempest(Arcade) rounding out my best of list.

My honorable mentions:
Axelay(SNES)
Radiant Silvergun(hard as ****/Saturn)
Scramble(Arcade)

Chris

I'm a bit biased on this... Pyra version already ported and in .dbp system form.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=opentyrian-trashyMG-27045
Look's very nice. If it's coming to Pyra then I'll look forward to playing it.
[doublepost=1452788418,1452788379][/doublepost]
Musha follow-up on mega cd is pretty cool too.
Of course thunderforce 2/3/4 on megadrive.
Also aero blasters on multiple platforms.
Never knew there was sequel to Musha. I should play that too.

For PC:

- M.A.R.S, very funny
- ProtoType, very good R-Type clone
- Excellent Bifurcation

For Commodore 64:

- Armalyte
- Enforcer
- Silkworm
- SWIV
- Metal Dust (You will need SCPU hardware or xscpu64 VICE emulator)

Some good recommendations. Iv'e watched a few youtube vids of these games.
What are the odds someone will start the whole selling queue positions for Pandora's, with the Pyra; which was ideal or an absolute debacle depending on your point of view. I missed the first Pyra pre-order run as I didn't have the funds at the time.
Oh well something might come up somewhere down the road.
[doublepost=1452789448,1452789375][/doublepost]
For PC:

- M.A.R.S, very funny
- ProtoType, very good R-Type clone
- Excellent Bifurcation

For Commodore 64:

- Armalyte
- Enforcer
- Silkworm
- SWIV
Nice. i believe C64 Armylate was very different to the Amiga OCS version.

One moment please:
Somewhone mentioned opentyrian allready in the Pyra Repo,
Dos this means, when i get my Unit, its will be more than an expensive calculator??
Any GBA Emulators allready??

One moment please:
Somewhone mentioned opentyrian allready in the Pyra Repo,
Dos this means, when i get my Unit, its will be more than an expensive calculator??

Well if you call an FTP server where a handful of .dbp files exist a repo, sure.

For Commodore 64:

- Armalyte
- Enforcer
- Silkworm
- SWIV

Out of interest, is there any real point playing SWIV on C64 if you can play it on Amiga instead? Or even the Spectrum? Perhaps it's more eclipsed by better shooters on those platforms though.

Let's see what I can come up with on the BBC Micro. It's got a number of good unofficial ports of 8-bit arcade shooters, from Scramble (Moon Raider) to Galaxian (Arcadians) to Galaga (Zalaga), to Berzerk (Cybertron Mission), to Sinistar (Death Star), to Defender (Planetoid) but I can only think of a few original games:

- Starship Command, by Peter Irvin (who would later co-write the epic adventure, 'Exile')
- Firetrack, by Orlando of 'Frak!' (and Zalaga) fame, which is still very impressive given how bad the BBC Micro was at vertical scrolling, but as a game to play, less fun these days. The music is still funky as all hell though!
- Syncron by the prolific Gary Partis, which tackled the BBC's inability to scroll vertically less than 8 pixels per frame by instead just scrolling really, really fast.

For PC:

For Commodore 64:

- Armalyte
- Enforcer
- Silkworm
- SWIV

Hmm, No Denaris/Katakis?
Delta?
Salamander?

Silkworm is ace, Armalyte has great music and gfx but is way to hard w/o trainer imo.

Loved the 2 player mode though :)

I think I've put the most hours in R-Type, Denaris, and Salamander on the 64.

And Delta because I wanted to hear all the music

Oh my, I could talk about this forever.
But since the op seems to enjoy Aleste (musha), check the original on MSX2, Aleste, Aleste 2 and Gaiden.
While you are at the msx zone, you may also check Zanac and Space Manbow.

Out of interest, is there any real point playing SWIV on C64 if you can play it on Amiga instead? Or even the Spectrum? Perhaps it's more eclipsed by better shooters on those platforms though.

I like both, C64 and Amiga, but i played and finished C64 version first, and playing again on Amiga was a bit repetitive, and didn't like the music.

Hmm, No Denaris/Katakis?
Delta?
Salamander?

Katakis is great, but i like more the second part.
R-Type C64 music is the best on 8 bit machines, but i still didn't played Delta.

Salamander is a very good port, but all i had was a datasette...
Disks and cartridges for Commodore machines were too expensive, or unknown due to lack of information.

Back