Best Rom Format For Psx4pandora?

peteredge

Still Fresh
hey with the pandora scheduled for release in november, this gives me a lot of time to get my psx roms ready. i just have a couple questions:

1. What rom formats will psx4pandora support?

2. Which of these rom formats is the best (i.e. takes up the least space)

3. Will load times be affected by the rom format you use?

sorry if these questions are noobish, i tried searching but didnt come up with much

thanx :)

Sorry, psx4pandora cannot play PSX roms. In fact, there is no such thing as PSX rom.

palmertech said:
Sorry, psx4pandora cannot play PSX roms. In fact, there is no such thing as PSX rom.
psx cd image. whatever you call it

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the classic format supported by psx4gp2x .iso, .bin, .img, .Z, .ZNX

I wasn't aware there were all that many formats. Just ISO.
There's compression with CSO and DAX, but really, it's still just ISO. It may not be able to play these, but I imagine it could be made to eventually. Maybe. I'm not writing it.
What other image formats are there that you'd want it to play? I'm curious, because a google search isn't telling me a whole lot.

ROM = Read Only Memory.
CD-ROM = Compact Disc Read Only Memory.

I mean strickly speaking...
The answer remains the same. Pretty much any CD image format is supported, and a few more exotic once with compression added is made specific for the purpose and might be supported.
B!

Mr B said:
ROM = Read Only Memory.
CD-ROM = Compact Disc Read Only Memory.

I mean strickly speaking...
The answer remains the same. Pretty much any CD image format is supported, and a few more exotic once with compression added is made specific for the purpose and might be supported.
B!
so could I keep them as iso or bin/cue for now, and compress them later once psx4pandora supports compressed files? i just want to save as much space as possible

gnargoyle11, i wouldn't expect any miracles with the CD-compression. Full CD-games are usually filled with videos or music, which won't compress much.

I recently added support for CDDA-compression in a CD-plugin for PCSX-df (that is, for my PC). This is lossy compression (i.e. i make OGG-files out of the tracks) and got games like Wipeout3 down from ~650MB to ~90MB without noticing any difference in quality. This works best with bin+cue (well, it was easiest to support only that).
Not many games use CDDA, so this would only apply to a certain few. I think it would be very interesting to use with the Pandora.

ISO and BIN+CUE are without a doubt the most common formats, and i'd personally would like to see all these img,nrg,ccd-formats to disappear.

Z. is just a compressed version of another format.

palmertech, that was simply unnecessary. Just because PSX roms don't typically come as a ROM doesnt mean they arent ROMs. Besides, ROMs are really just a generalization, because by the time they are on your SD card, they arent read-only anymore.

don't be a smart-ass, please, especially when you aren't even answering his questions.

As everyone says, but we won't be supporting CSO or DAX anytime soon because there's no reason to. If you want compression just use the PSP eboot format (with proper converters) or Z/ZNX.

I wouldn't normally ask, but since this thread's here and I'm somewhat curious, I hope you don't mind much if I do ask :)P); Will BIN/TOC (as output by cdrdao) be supported as well as BIN/CUE?

BIN is supported, the accompaining TOC/CUE CDDA index files at the moment are not (that means the images work, but there won't be any CD music).

Tinnus said:
As everyone says, but we won't be supporting CSO or DAX anytime soon because there's no reason to. If you want compression just use the PSP eboot format (with proper converters) or Z/ZNX.
thanks this was the answer i was lookin for. and thanks for your great work on the emulator :)

Great to hear that I'll be able to transfer (getting rid of the DRM, probably) my PSP EBOOTs to the Pandora :)

Sorry, I really didn't understand what you mean.

edit: but ISO will be supported and CSO probably not as I said lke 10 times :p

FranXico said:
Great to hear that I'll be able to transfer (getting rid of the DRM, probably) my PSP EBOOTs to the Pandora :)
Wow, PSP Popstation eboots will work? Thats great, those things save a ton of space, plus I've already got some converted (FF7, Xenogears.)

Back