Best Computer

Most people dont need dualcore, if you do the core-duo(t2500) is the only intel worth considering.
Apart from the very recent core duos you can say that a amd at full load uses less power than a same rated intel at idle.

If you get a amd make sure to get a nforce4 based board.

But right now its a bad time to get a new pc, geforce 7900 is just arround the corner and amd is just about to switch to m2 and ddr2.

racoon posted on Mar 19 2006 at 02:34 PM said:
... Look, DualCore is only useful for multitasking and applications which can take real advantage out of it already (like video editing as you mentioned)...

The 3.8GHZ are the most a Prescott is sold at.

P4 Dual: two prescotts at 2.8*2 = 5,6ghz

Yes, true, as I said, you can get an Athlon X2 as well, added up it will for sure have a lower clockspeed, but there are CPU's equivalent to this one sold by AMD.
What AMD cpus are equivelent?

Vimacs posted on Mar 19 2006 at 02:42 PM said:
Most people dont need dualcore, if you do the core-duo(t2500) is the only intel worth considering.
Apart from the very recent core duos you can say that a amd at full load uses less power than a same rated intel at idle.

If you get a amd make sure to get a nforce4 based board.

But right now its a bad time to get a new pc, geforce 7900 is just arround the corner and amd is just about to switch to m2 and ddr2.
Lol I dont care about ti being that good. If it does its job them IMO its fine. So by your logic it would be better to get a intel as they are not changing over anyhting atm :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, this is true, but think of it:

The newest M2's will come out in a few month('s) and this will cause a drop in 939 prices...
The GeForce 7900 surely is a nice card but unaffordable right now...

A friend of mine and me recently built a PC for him, it has an Athlon 3200+ and a gForce 6600GT, and, most importantly it has got a nForce4 mainboard, so if he wants more speed in, let's say, 2-3 years, he can add 2 more DDR-RAMs, an Athlon X2 which would cost simply too much right now, and a card like the gForce 7900GTX for a good value ;).

no, not raely, its like most prebuild systems rather shitty partwise.
A 7300 with 512mb dosnt even exists, its mostl likely a 256mb card wich uses 256mb of the main ram, bad! The 7300 is a pretty shitty low-end card, even a 6600 is faster, dont buy that if you want to play games.

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...ODUCT&KEY=68586
is the only system with a decent gfx card they have, and its overpriced.

sam fisher posted on Mar 19 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
Most prebuilt are a rip off. Im gonna go with the penium D one and upgrade the gfx card.
That's a bad idea, but go nuts. If you want a gaming machine, you should probably just build your own AMD-based computer.

I am going to build my own desktop very soon. I have a lovely shiny new monitor, so just the tower. I want to be able to play WoW.

Unfortunately I am a complete non-nerd. But am determined. So I will be calling on all you sad lonely nerds for help! Has that made your day? Good.

I want to stick my two old hard drives in there, and throw in a third. Get a decent motherboard, AMD 64+ processor. Decent graphics card, nice tower that lets me have usbs on the front. I think I will be able to do it for about £400. A real nice one (no Monitor, remember). Am I crazy???

A (girl) colleague of mine has just built a lovely pc for about £300. It plays WoW very nice...

lubidog posted on Mar 19 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Am I crazy???
Yes. However, you could probably get a nice computer for less than 300 pounds.

Do any of you lilies have a place like newegg that ships to the UK?

iignotus posted on Mar 19 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
Am I crazy???

IIg, you will soon become my new best friend!

Don't know what a lilly is, but in the UK we have Ebuyer that seems pretty cheap. I live in Germany though. Any of my German Kumpels have a good cheap internet site for me...?

iignotus posted on Mar 19 2006 at 05:08 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Mar 19 2006 at 10:00 AM said:
Most prebuilt are a rip off. Im gonna go with the penium D one and upgrade the gfx card.
That's a bad idea, but go nuts. If you want a gaming machine, you should probably just build your own AMD-based computer.
I could build my own but I've never done that before and wont have a 3 year warranty. i have never had anything but good things happen with intel processors so im going for that. As it probably is better than that athlon. I will not be using it mainly for gaming hell this shitty celeron manages to play games but that is at 2.8ghz. SO oyu lot just say to get the athlon. Most important question i still need answered is. DOES WMC HAVE BLOODY NORMAL XP FUNCTIONALITY!

lubidog posted on Mar 19 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
iignotus posted on Mar 19 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
Am I crazy???

IIg, you will soon become my new best friend!

Don't know what a lilly is, but in the UK we have Ebuyer that seems pretty cheap. I live in Germany though. Any of my German Kumpels have a good cheap internet site for me...?
He's in denial

I was told WMC didnt. Now I know it does its a tough decision for me. As the intel ones offers more in the way of future uppgrades and better at video editing etc blah blah blah

there are many shops who let you choose the parts and build your pc from them, no idear of any in uk through.

Back