Benefits Of 3.0 Firmware?

tkeely4777

Still Fresh
....If 3.0.0 offers better battery life/overall stability (to which I'm not entirely sure 3.0.0 offers either of), I wouldn't want to lose these things...so could someone fill me in? Thanks!

Update: I was just looking over the downloads and came across the 3.0.0 version..evidentially it's unofficial..but how can this be? My GP2X was purchased brand new (sealed box and all)...why would it have unofficial firmware on it?

It isn't unofficial... the dump on the archive is an unofficial dump, it hasn't been released 'officially' as a upgrade file yet.

As far as battery life and overall stability, Firmware 2.1.1 is at least as good (and some people claim better in stability). I use 2.1.1 because the boot time is better in 2.1.1.

tkeely4777 posted on Mar 24 2007 at 04:08 AM said:
....If 3.0.0 offers better battery life/overall stability (to which I'm not entirely sure 3.0.0 offers either of), I wouldn't want to lose these things...so could someone fill me in? Thanks!

Update: I was just looking over the downloads and came across the 3.0.0 version..evidentially it's unofficial..but how can this be? My GP2X was purchased brand new (sealed box and all)...why would it have unofficial firmware on it?

Well yes, Frimware 3.0.0 is official but i think in the archive someone just remade it or something for users who did not purchase a valuepack...

Last edited by a moderator:
All that firmware 3.0 changes is:
  1. New GUI (bigger icons, different skin)
  2. Preloaded "help videos"
  3. Preloaded games (Payback Demo, Noiz2sa, Flobopuyo, Supertux, and Vektar Freeware Version)
  4. Removed Utility menu
  5. NAND (built in memory) has been removed in the choices from USB connection in Settings
  6. There is no skin maker for 3.0 yet
  7. There is no official update for 3.0 yet.

Downgrade your firmware to 2.1.1 i did it to my valuepack and ive not regretted it. The only thing 3.0 has going for it is that it looks much nicer than unskinned 2.1.1 however there are plenty of good skins out there to solve that :)

Personally, I'm sticking with 2.0.0 for now. If you listen to books on tape or podcasts with the music player then anything higher than 2.0.0 will not let you fast forward through the mp3 very fast which is a pain. if this doesn't apply to you then nevermind. Does anyone know if I could keep the 2.0.0 version music player and upgrade everything else to 2.1.1? Maybe rip apart the 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 archives and mix'n'match those files?

Valuepack owner who downgraded here.

You wont miss the blue skin. Gmenu2X is better anyway, and easily more customizable.

Auritribe posted on Mar 24 2007 at 08:29 AM said:

You wont miss the blue skin. Gmenu2X is better anyway, and easily more customizable.
I have the blue skin on 2.1.1 :D

purple_goat posted on Mar 24 2007 at 09:11 PM said:

Psh, even so... I dont see why you'd want to put yourself through that interface when gmenu is so much more efficient...but, then again its just my opinion, I shouldn't treat it as fact.

...even if it is. :ph34r:

Auritribe posted on Mar 25 2007 at 02:47 AM said:
purple_goat posted on Mar 24 2007 at 09:11 PM said:

Psh, even so... I dont see why you'd want to put yourself through that interface when gmenu is so much more efficient...but, then again its just my opinion, I shouldn't treat it as fact.

...even if it is. :ph34r:

Upon close examination, FW 3.0 sucks donkey slong. WHY OH WHY was it even created?

GPH was trying to reach a broader audience. Of course, they failed for the most part. They were however able to sell them to college students to learn English on.

Cheezer posted on Mar 24 2007 at 08:39 AM said:
Personally, I'm sticking with 2.0.0 for now. If you listen to books on tape or podcasts with the music player then anything higher than 2.0.0 will not let you fast forward through the mp3 very fast which is a pain. if this doesn't apply to you then nevermind. Does anyone know if I could keep the 2.0.0 version music player and upgrade everything else to 2.1.1? Maybe rip apart the 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 archives and mix'n'match those files?
You can maybe just copy out the player and leave it on the NAND or SD to run it with Gmenu2x, there should be a post on that somewhere around.

I would use v2.1.1 and then just keep the old player. If you can use sterm to navigate to the directory with the music player you can copy it out to the NAND or SD using a cp "playername" /mnt/sd command.

Then you can upgrade to v 2.1.1 and try to get the player working. Why not use Craig's amp? Does it support fast forwards? I am sure there are more functional MP3 players around then what the firmware comes with.

Back