Whighing In On The Gp2x

Classic Team said:
XD, more comments about how my spelling sucks.

The main reason I'm getting the GP2X is because I have a Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, GameBoy, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Gamecube, Sony PS2, Nintendo 64, a Gamegear, an NES, and for better or worse, a Sega Nomad (the ultimate battery eater; takes 6 AA's and last 3 - 5 hours, but is very rare.). And this is why I want A GP2X, so I can play most of that on the road. (Super Nintendo.... and much more :D)

And look, I spelt everything right.
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kinda hopping no one would catch that... LOL he passed the test.

Question: Do GP32 games run on the GP2X? (AKA backwords campadabilaty?) If not than cant they just be ported because both are built mainly off the same code.

And... is there an emulator for running the GP2X on the PC to test the homebrew games?

Thanks - Classic Team (AKA Mygames19, the NEW member)

Classic Team said:
I was kinda hopping no one would catch that... LOL he passed the test.

Question: Do GP32 games run on the GP2X? (AKA backwords campadabilaty?) If not than cant they just be ported because both are built mainly off the same code.

And... is there an emulator for running the GP2X on the PC to test the homebrew games?

Thanks - Classic Team (AKA Mygames19, the NEW member)
Do GP32 games run on the GP2X? (AKA backwords campadabilaty?)
No.

If not than cant they just be ported because both are built mainly off the same code.
No, the two are totally different systems. They can be ported, but with as much work as from any other platform.

No.

The GP2X is excellent in terms of support, emulators while some are still early ports but the Mega Drive, Zx Spectrum, MAME, Colecovision, Atari 2600 and others are looking great.

But I don't reccommend the GP2x, at least for now, because it's one of the most terribly built consoles I've ever seen in my life. A Nightmare to open and put back together, the stick is the main problem and can break easily (you may have luck though). You really need a dpad for this one, if I could I would buy a modded Gp2x.

Check alternatives before like Tapwave Zodiac, NDS and PSP homebrew and the Gp2x and make sure it fits your needs. For now I personally regret buying it but it's an excellent console.....just badly built.

I have mentioned it before and will mention it again as its such a good product.

I bought a "ReZap" battery charger on ebay for 25$ (AUD), the charger is great. Not only does it charge ordinary rechargables but will charge ordinary Alkaline batteries, I usually get 10-20 charges by the time the battery has had it. Some of the cheapest batteries have lasted the longest.

This is from their website..
FEATURES OF THE REZAP BATTERY DOCTOR™

* Advanced microprocessor control for safe and user-friendly operation
* Supports almost all domestic battery sizes: AAA, AA, C, D, 9V, 6V lantern, Prismatic
* Supports Carbon Zinc, Alkaline, NiCd, NiMH and RAM (Rechargeable Alkaline Manganese) batteries
* Automatic detection of different battery types and sizes
* Supports charging of mixed sizes and types of batteries simultaneously
* Extends life of Carbon Zinc, 9V & 6V lantern batteries up to 5* times
* Extends life of Alkaline batteries up to 15* times
* Recharge RAM batteries up to 25* times
* Automatic overcharge protection safeguards batteries from damage
* Built-in battery tester to measure strength of each battery
* Simple "plug and play" operation with no complicated switch settings

* Cycle life depends on factors such as brand, quality and condition of battery as well as rate of discharge,
cut-off voltage and depth of discharge of battery when in use.

So, being a very decent charger should give you longer battery life with your normal rechargables, but if you are out and buy some disposable alkalines, fear not, you can recharge them. Its not money wasted :p

~Fox

Alright, Ive come back with 2 new questions for you.

Does the GP2X support the Sega Saturn? the Saturn is actuly not nearly as powerful as the Nintendo 64 or playstation, even though it is said to be 64bit, it actuly has 2 32bit prosessors... And it rarely uses both. 3/4ths of all the games on the Saturn were 2D... So it makes sense to me...

Also... I found this GP2X on E-bay... Should I get it? He has an image showing it works... but he cant garentee it does... I've never owned one so I wouldin't have A clue. But you guys have, so Im going to ask you guys if this would be A good bid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamepark-GP2X-Video-Ga...bayphotohosting

Thanks.

Classic Team said:
Alright, Ive come back with 2 new questions for you.

Does the GP2X support the Sega Saturn? the Saturn is actuly not nearly as powerful as the Nintendo 64 or playstation, even though it is said to be 64bit, it actuly has 2 32bit prosessors... And it rarely uses both. 3/4ths of all the games on the Saturn were 2D... So it makes sense to me...
The Saturn is much more difficult to emulate than either the N64 or the PSX. It is a much more complicated design and is not as well documented. I can't even think of any PC Saturn emulators that are as good as the available PC N64, PSX, or even Dreamcast emulators for this very reason. This has also been covered about a million times.

okay... Well I guess I want to take the question back, and ask another. I've been looking around the GP2X wiki and I found A list of what does and doesin't work on the GP2X... but I couldin't help but notice that under the Widnows section there is no mention of Windows 3.1... Can anyone tell me if that is possable?

Windows 3.1 does not work at a "usable" rate via DOSbox.

If you're hedging this much, don't buy the GP2X. It won't do everything you can imagine.

The GP2X will emulate many popular 8-bit and 16-bit systems, as well as serve as a general development platform.

uh. is it a deal breaker if windows 3.11 doesn't work? shesh.

it sounds more and more like the gp2x isn't for you, coz if you got one you'd just complain about all the software etc.

ps, no, it does not emulate the G5 Apple Mac Pro, nor does it emulate IBM BlueGene L, the Cray XMP etc.. and you cant run windows vista on it.

YakumoFuji said:
uh. is it a deal breaker if windows 3.11 doesn't work? shesh.

it sounds more and more like the gp2x isn't for you, coz if you got one you'd just complain about all the software etc.

ps, no, it does not emulate the G5 Apple Mac Pro, nor does it emulate IBM BlueGene L, the Cray XMP etc.. and you cant run windows vista on it.
I just wanted to know if 3.1 worked... some games do run on 3.1. And although it may sound like the GP2X isin't for me, I have about 200 ROMS that I know will run on the GP2X... and I plan to play them on my GP2X.

And, no, I'm not stupid enough to beleave Vista works on the GP2X. I think I can live with the GP2X untill the next generation comes... and thats another 3 or so years....maybe longer... :p

Back