Gp2x Vs. Xgp

guruhead

Still Fresh
What's up all, I just have a few questions:

Would it be smarter to wait for the XGP to be fully released or purchase the GP2x? I've read that the XGP is able to support the homebrew community as well as do all the other things the GP2x does but it also has a 3d accelerator. Do you think that the XGP will have the same-sized supportable community as the GP2x does? And yes, I've read epicenter's post so no need to link me, I'd just like to hear your opinions on the XGP.

Thank you

EDIT: Doh, I just saw the section dedicated to the XGP, sorry.
EDIT AGAIN: But I'd still like your opinions :)

Well, the XGP series, with whichever SoC they pick, will be much more powerful .. either with the same CPU, faster RAM, and powerful 2D/3D acceleration, or all that plus a fast floating point/vector processor and DSP. If they go with the VRender-3D chipset it'll be about the same performance level for most tasks, but emulators like PSX, SNES and GBA should be dramatically faster when they take advantage of the accelerated graphics. High-end homebrew games will be able to be FAR more over-the-top graphically while maintaining a very high framerate.

If the newer Samsung S3C2460, the same graphical benefits apply, but there will be much more CPU horsepower so pretty much every stressful program or emulator will get a big boost, especially those that use a lot of floating point math.

As far as software support, yes, they recently reiterated the importance of open-source and freedom to develop homebrew software for the XGP series, which is excellent to hear. If they use a Linux OS, as it seems they probably will, GP2X software will port over to the machines with extremely little effort, so I imagine there'll be quite a community backing the machines .. with Linux support and such similar hardware, building a GP2X and XGP/XGPMini version of a program all in one step should be very simple.

I would not wait for them since they are still being designed. The GP2X has a lot going for it, and should tide you over quite well as it may be a good long while before either XGP surfaces.

Hello,

Get a GP2x now. It's a great little machine. So what if it doesn't have 3d graphics. I could have got a PSP. As others say the XGP is way off yet.

I suppose it boils down to what you like to play. If you want retro then gp2x is great for just that as most older 'puters/consoles have the same or similar resolution.

If it's a pmp you want the again gp2x is great for that. It's great that the media players can be replaced.......hopefully ;)

I'm gonna be a gp2x fanb0i from now on. :D

semyaza posted on Sep 15 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
Get a GP2x now. It's a great little machine. So what if it doesn't have 3d graphics. I could have got a PSP. As others say the XGP is way off yet.
I don't know about you, but the prospect of hardware-accelerated 2D is much more exciting than the 3D that GPU can do. B) Won't someone please think of the 2D ...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the hardware that count but the software! Here you have the GP2X with more or less all 80ies computers and consoles emulated and there a nice system, which isn't released and will be more or less closed (like the PSP) but without a big company behind it that could bring others to make good games for money.
Just take a look at the Wii from Nintendo: Less power, more fun! That's the same with GP32 and GP2X.

The key with these handhelds is community backing. The GP2X already has a large community standing behind it, constantly producing software and helping people out. The same thing may happen to the XGP, but so far we only have vague ideas about how the new handhelds will catch on.

Take a look at the software the GP2X has to offer, and if it does the job for you, I say, go for it :)

- Alex

I would say get the GP2X, wait till the XGP comes out and see what developers do. If everyone starts developing for the XGP I'll propably geta XGP too. At this moment I have loads of fun with my nice GP2X.

I might get the XGP.
If it can emulate PS1 well, and N64 possibly at a playable level (20fps at least), I would probably get it instantly. (Money permitting, or more likely birthdays permitting)

The last update I saw, they had not even decided on the base OS for the XGP. You would be foolish to wait on the XGP. There is no telling when, if, or what it will do when it comes out.
As it stands right now, the GP2X is a great machine, and well worth the price.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, I definately know what I'll be doing now. Your help is appreciated.

Epicenter posted on Sep 15 2006 at 02:16 AM said:
Won't someone please think of the 2D ...

Oh my goodness, Epic is stuck in Sally Struthers mode! "Think of the children!"

*chuckles* Well, the GP2X has good 2D and great emulation and great movies and music (with headphones) right now. If you decide you want the XGP later on, you can always sell the GP2X to help you raise more money, too. *shrug* Or keep both and wow everyone with both machines.

QuasaR posted on Sep 15 2006 at 05:38 AM said:
It's not the hardware that count but the software! Here you have the GP2X with more or less all 80ies computers and consoles emulated and there a nice system, which isn't released and will be more or less closed (like the PSP) but without a big company behind it that could bring others to make good games for money.
Just take a look at the Wii from Nintendo: Less power, more fun! That's the same with GP32 and GP2X.
GamePark said the system would be open-source and have an SDK provided. If the OS is Linux-based which it seems it will be, most GP2X software would port easily over.

Vimacs posted on Sep 15 2006 at 10:37 AM said:
man, people are so naive to even think about n64...
He said '20fps at least' would be nice, that's not at all unrealistic with a true 3D accelerator. Expecting close to 60 FPS would be 'naive'.. PS1's pretty much in the bag.

Well, the GP2X has good 2D
It's alright; but the blitter is terribly underpowered. It does very little good for improving graphics performance, so when you start doing things like push more than 3 background graphics layers and a lot of sprites onscreen you will see a pretty noticable framerate hit in your games. The 2D subsystem is also the bottleneck of SNES emulation, and apparently Amiga and MegaDrive emulation as well (not that MD isn't full-speed, but without that bottleneck and a boost in CPU speed, MegaCD emulation wouldn't be nearly as difficult as it would be on the current hardware.)

For a developer like me, the prospect of having the 2D capabilities of the DS or PSP onhand is extremely exciting.

Why not buy both? Play with the GP2x now, wait until the XGP has been out for a while (teething problems over - perhaps 6-12 months) and get one if it plays the games you want that the GP2x doesn't (otherwise just stay with the GP2x).

bacteria posted on Sep 15 2006 at 11:25 PM said:
Why not buy both? Play with the GP2x now, wait until the XGP has been out for a while (teething problems over - perhaps 6-12 months) and get one if it plays the games you want that the GP2x doesn't (otherwise just stay with the GP2x).
I agree with this man/woman/child/decorative shrub.

Back