Beauty competition.

wait! please consider this fresh, never seen before, design idea too!
uQh0y.png

:p

A quick first Video should come sometime tomorrow evening... I recorded it today, tried to render it but my computer crashes during rendering for some weird reason.
I'm not at home this weekend and my computer has fully crashed, so I can't even connect remotely to it for try rendering again :(

Now, that looks like a finished product.

That logo plate, is the metal one right? or is the self-adhesive foil?

Both versions look gorgeous, but I wouldn't call that chrome, the tone reminds me a lot the cosmic grey of Civics 03+ (without the gloss obviously...):

It is/was a very nice looking dark grey.

Regarding the shinny/tone of the pictures, they look fairly matte to me (pick the joysticks/pads for comparison). The gloss there is because the light used; also photographs of dark/black things are always difficult. A side by side would help in figuring the tone.

Last edited:
@EvilDragon If you have the time, could you please make these two variants and show them on camera? Or any one with a gray case and a black screen bezel.

One is with a black bezel, and the lower half of the bottom part is black, too (but the battery cover is not black).
The other is with a black bezel only.

black-inner-bezel-and-bottom-1.png

black-inner-bezel-1.png

A black bezel around the screen increases the perceived display quality over a gray bezel, by the way, so this is not simply for looks.

Last edited:
The edited images above assume that the keyboard surround and the upper half of the lower case are two parts. They are not. That is all one piece of plastic.

The lid bezel swap is theoretically possible, but likely impractical for a production perspective.

Come on folks, ED is quite busy and what is being evaluated is between choice A and choice B. The 'tweak this tweak that change the color of X' stuff isn't a great use of time.

I'm not sure what you mean. In his edited image the keyboard surround and the upper hald of the lower case are all the same colour, because as you say they're the same part.

But yes, I agree, while I might be interested in putting a black LCD surround on mine somewhere down the line, it's not a useful use of ED's time to dedicate any to this whim.

"Quick look" then we get nearly a 20 minute video.
It is super appreciated though. You did a thorough job of comparing it to enough devices and rotating it through heaps of angles.
It was interesting hearing the back stories of the coating and watching you scratch the case was awesome until the screwdriver started damaging the uncoated case. That sound hurt :p

I would really hope that we could be happy with a single colour for the first run or two. There are already 6 different models (although the 2GB was in a tiny minority) and if there are 2 colours that brings the options to 12. I'm all for keeping things simple. (Having said that, I'm still looking forward to the possibility of a red and blue version in the future)
But looking forward to throwing money at you for the final purchase.

Back