Basic website

^ The layout is nice, but almost all of the space is taken up with vast gaping empty voids of greyness.

More contrast would be good too.

---

Here is Cloudef's design with some touches of red added; I also changed some of the text a bit:

http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/pyra2
I think this might be better if the gradient weren't tilted.
Not tilted, does that mean it should become horizontal or vertical? I made it horizontal now.

Also of course that picture should be replaced by some rendering or prototype picture, without the white background.

if meaningful info text could be hosted on the wiki there wont be a need to totally revamp the whole thing, especially not relying on only ED, since he is taxed very hard.
Really not a good idea.

The quality of language on the pandora's wiki is currently very poor. One major article kept referring to the OS as "Super Saxxon". The main page has a heap of clumsy half-sentences on it.etc.

A public website needs to be accurate, consistent and clear.

Long term it would be nice to have an exploded view, or some interactive model you can click around on to learn more.
Agree.

Not tilted, does that mean it should become horizontal or vertical? I made it horizontal now.
 I was thinking vertical.

or maybe with a slight pattern:

uzls.png

...or does that looks horrible?

↑ Just so you know, the gradient doesn't work on webkit. And it looks fine without it :p
Fixed. Actually I don't really like adding all those -webkit-* -o-* -ms-* -moz-* versions of the same thing -- if people want to use a browser that is too old to support the non-prefixed CSS properties, it's their problem.

I made the specs list a bit more compact and reordered it a bit, and also added a red block on the dev blog page. We could add a more detailed tech specs page with some extra description text for all of the bullet points. Also an extra page to describe possible uses (gaming, desktop applications, emulation, coding, music, remote administration, etc.) would be nice. But to make those pages, some more info on the specs is needed (e.g. does it have 3G/4G? how many action buttons?) and some images of concepts/renderings/prototypes are needed to avoid having too much text.

Another page that could be added, and this one can be done now already, is one about the history and vision of the project: where does it come from (Pandora and before that), what have we learned from that, the idea of an open and hackable handheld, the community that is already there, etc.

Maybe it's best if those texts are written by a native English speaker. I guess we may also need a German translation at some point. Does it make sense to have other languages as well? I could translate to Dutch, but I don't think it is useful to do that since Dutch-speaking geeks know English. But maybe for French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese etc it makes sense to have translations.

Maybe it's best if those texts are written by a native English speaker.
I'd certainly be willing to have a go at proffre4ading ( :p ) and editing text if somebody has a plan of what information should go where, and what impression we are trying to put across.

My foreign language skills stop at GCSE French though, so don't ask me to translate anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
_wb_, on 18 Jan 2014 - 7:42 PM, said: Here is Cloudef's design with some touches of red added; I also changed some of the text a bit: http://people.cs.kul...eyers/tmp/pyra2 I think this might be better i
What if it had a sidebar like this instead of the single picture in one corner?

p8tx.png

I like _wb_ / cloudefs - combination. Slick, clean and simple. I would put the team as own tab, but those quotes are awesome and a good idea :)

If the tech specs get a separate page, mightn't it make sense for the box on the main page to mention things like:

• Full desktop environment
  • Rugged clamshell design
  • Completely unlocked firmware
...rather than just the electronic stuff?

Also, couldn't the 'blog' page have a link below each article to the forum thread labeled "join the discussion" or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tech specs get a separate page, mightn't it make sense for the box on the main page to mention things like:

• Full desktop environment
  • Rugged clamshell design
  • Completely unlocked firmware
...rather than just the electronic stuff?

Also, couldn't the 'blog' page have a link below each article to the forum thread labeled "join the discussion" or something?

I'd say so too ... this would also probably take less space up when viewed on mobile, so not just seeing a list of specs on the initial page load.

Also on the top main menu, you have the current active set to light grey colour, I think that would be nicer if it was the same red as used on the bottom menu for current

Too light.

I didn't even notice.

I'd like to have it as the background of the "Subscribe to Pyra newsletter" textbox.

Too light.

I didn't even notice.

I'd like to have it as the background of the "Subscribe to Pyra newsletter" textbox.
Believe it or not, but that popup textbox has exactly the same background color as the rest of the website. It may look darker than it is though because it is surrounded with a pure white border. Fixed that border and some of the other remarks above:

http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/pyra3/

Back